It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man arrested at Best Buy for paying in $2 bills

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This to me is the most idiotic part

Commenting on the incident, Baltimore County police spokesman Bill Toohey told the Sun: “It’s a sign that we’re all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world.”

Yes because we all know terorists are in best buy with 2 dollar bills trying to get stereo installers to fall for it as part of there jihad.
edit on 21-8-2012 by circuitsports because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I remember paying for candy with a silver note two dollar bill when I was a kid. Dumb move, I should have kept it. But I had to have my high fructose corn syrup fix. The cashier had a grin on his face like he was going to swap it out with two singles and keep the $2 note.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I got a $2 bill back from one of those stroller rental thingies in the mall...I'll be honest, I stuck it in my son's piggy bank just so I don't have to be questioned if I tried to spent it. Pretty sad now that I think about it...especially after reading this article

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrSpad
Well you could have just read the article. That was linked in the OP. But, no you and so many others start ranting about how stupid other people are. And when it turns out none of you had any idea what you were talking about you complain the info was hard to find. Even though the link is in the OP. If people can not take a few seconds to read about what they are ranting about, do not blame the rest of us when you come off looking confused.

I wasn't talking about other ATS members being stupid, I was talking about the clerk and the officer. Also, if you would read a post or two (oh the irony) you would find out I'm not even one of the people that didn't read it, I just hate your attitude and I get sick of reading your hateful, insulting posts that dilute every thread. What I was saying is that's probably part of the reason why people don't get much information from these threads, because they're full of crap like that. So if you really care about the quality of ATS threads and aren't just trying to flex your ego on the internet, then save "the rest of us" the trouble of reading your crap.

Since you say "the rest of us" I guess now you're the self proclaimed speaker for all of ATS? I nominate myself as well.

I'm trying to discuss some topic and someone always comes into the thread with this "I can't believe everyone else except me on ATS is so stupid" crap, "I posted a while ago why this should be deleted" crap and other "ME ME ME ME ME" pay attention to ME bull#. I get sick and tired of people posting about about T&Cs, how great they are and how far they can spin and twist logic to convince people they're # doesn't stink and how they are better and smarter than everyone else.
edit on 21-8-2012 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by ReadyPower

Just another example of the failed educational system within the US.

The thing that grates my nerves is that this service rep will probably end up being a store manager at some point.

This is not an example of a "failed educational system". This is an example of stupid/ignorant management.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I hate to weigh in on a topic in which several members have already pointed out the flaw in the topic title, or with the source op, but it needs repeating - the man was arrested for POSSIBLE COUNTERFEITING, after a cashier noticed the INK SMEARED ON THE BILL. The fact it was a $2 bill had NOTHING to do with why the guy was detained by police. The SMEARED INK did.

I have to say the real point to bring up on this is that the man never stood there and just said something like 'Well..I've had them forever and they're real cause I say so! Hmpf!'. No.. quite the opposite. He very logically and directly told them how he got his bills, where he got them from and how they could, with a single phone call, verify that one way or the other. I don't know if he told Best Buy that, because the story only specifies he said it to the Police......immediately before they arrested him.

So..It's not as if he could have been some master mind counterfeiter....when he was perfectly willing and actually did name the bank as the source and encourage a 1 minute telephone call to verify. That ALONE should have had the cop taking a step back. How many guilty parties actually hand you a way to PROVE their guilt, on the spot and within a moment?

After all...if the call had NOT confirmed things....He would have just signed his own prison sentence and in his own words. All that tho...and the solution isn't to 'Protect and Serve' by INVESTIGATING...like a cop might be expected to do. It's to arrest an innocent man and leave him cuffed like the proverbial punk on display in the squad room.

What a police force...and what a bunch of incompetent fools at Best Buy. OF COURSE ink can smear.... geeze... These idiots could have done the same thing to one of their OWN bills right out of their own damn wallet to verify THAT part happens on 100% legit currency.

A counterfeiter would say the same thing this guy did - "I got them from so-and-so bank" or what have you. A real counterfeiter would play dumb just like any regular person would, when they are accused of passing bogus notes.

Doesn't changed the fact this story is completely misleading - the cops were only called AFTER the clerk saw some wet ink smear on the notes. At that point, h/she did the right thing, call the cops. Then the cops check the notes and see the smeared ink AND the sequentially numbered bills, it's not hard to see why they figured this guy was a counterfeiter. If crooks are counterfeiting $5 bills it's not a stretch to think someone might counterfeit $2 bills. In both cases (clerk and then the cops) deferred to the higher authority on currency, the SS, who came to the conclusion it was legal tender.

This whole story looks more and more like a farce. I don't believe this guys version of events whatsoever. He only got arrested because the BB clerk and the responding cops thought he was counterfeiting notes. Has nothing to do with "dumb" employees being too stupid to realize $2 notes are real.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
This really goes to show the level of IQ the average cop has. Yes, the Best Buy clerk is also an idiot, but it takes about three minutes for any cop with an IQ above sixty to come in and tell if the bills are real or not. But to handcuff him to a pole for a few hours? There's a reason intelligent people are turned away from police stations and this is another example of the tragic result.

We have a bunch of idiots with badges and guns running around displaying their complete lack of common sense, daily, for all to see. It's pretty ridiculous for the Best Buy clerk to start all this, but I doubt the clerk went through months at an academy and a stringent background check to gain employment at that business, unlike the cops who should be intelligent enough to know $2 bills are legal tender.
edit on 21-8-2012 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The BEST way to handle this is all who have $2 billls needs to go to Best Buy and shop till you drop. I mean go to the bank, get a big stash of $2 bills and hagger Best Buy to death. Reminds me of the story of the man who went in Walmart and tried to pay for a t.v. with a million dollar bill, and expected his damn change.

I think TPTB have dumb them down one notch to many.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gavron
I find it amazing that this was posted HERE back in 2005, and only had 2 pages of comments....however this one is up to 7 pages?

Interesting...

As recently as 2005, stupidity hadn't yet reached the levels we see today. People are being dumbed-down at a scary rate.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Wow, some, Best Buy people are lack of education, system in public school must be failing.. and the police put hand cuff on him for using two dollar bills had lack of common sense, and it a shame..

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Doesn't changed the fact this story is completely misleading - the cops were only called AFTER the clerk saw some wet ink smear on the notes. At that point, h/she did the right thing, call the cops. Then the cops check the notes and see the smeared ink AND the sequentially numbered bills, it's not hard to see why they figured this guy was a counterfeiter.

How do we know that the "employee(she)" wasn't confused and psychologically challenged by the mere sight of all those $2 bills ? (especially if she never saw one before !)

And how do we know for certain that she wasn't just "out to get" the customer and "teach him a lesson" for she may have seen the guy as a troublemaker ?

"Employees" today expect the simplest ways. How do we know She wasn't "mad" because a customer was paying cash? How do we know she wasn't raving jealous?

How do we know that the "fear" of having to count all that cash correctly after at least 3 or more attempts didn't scare her half to death ?

Not to mention that there was probably no drawer slot for those $2 bills.
(what was she going to do with them?)

How do we know for sure that She Herself didn't smear the bills after She Decided to give the customer a hard time?

First Statement
“She looked at the $2 bills and told me, ‘I don’t have to take these if I don’t want to.’
(sniveling snotty arrogance yes?)

Yep !! She was raging mad and probably lied later to save her miniscule job.

The man was set up by a raving jealous store clerk.

I wonder if she missed her coffee break

edit on Aug-21-2012 by xuenchen because:

edit on Aug-21-2012 by xuenchen because:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
All this is Obama's and Zimmerman's fault

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   

At my local Best Buy most of the employees look like were riders of the "short bus" not too long ago......

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

If this had happened at many other stores, I would be shocked,but it was Best Buy. This is probably #84 in the top 100 "here's how stupid Best Buy is" list.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Just another example of our future 'leaders'.. ignorant people.. how do you work somewhere where you deal with money every day and NOT know $2 bills are legal tender?? I knew this when I was like, 8.

Oh

Commenting on the incident, Baltimore County police spokesman Bill Toohey told the Sun: “It’s a sign that we’re all a little nervous in the post-9/11 world.”

You'd be surprised at just how dumb people can be.

I've met many adults who are seriously about as smart as an 8-9 year old.

They jump to conclusions without thinking. They think they know everything already. They are so dumb, that they don't even know they are dumb.....they actually think they are smart.

They can't think for themselves so they do dumb stuff like this.

I would guess there were a few of her fellow employees who were like " wow this girl is an idiot "

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Wonder what would have happened if paid with these

Unired States Note

en.wikipedia.org...

Got a $5 United States Note couple years back

1963 series

Looked up on line - this one worth about $10, Still have it

Earlier series can be worth several times face value depending on year and condition

Also on occasion find silver coins - dimes, quarters and World War II nickels (which are 35% silver ) in change

Save "wheat ear" pennies (those minted before 1959, Have whole jar of them

Pays to keep eyes open

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I see why Best Buy might be on the verge of bankruptcy. They hire idiots. Plus the policeman who arrested the guy is an idiot in my opinion for not knowing what is legal currency. I believe both the clerk and the policeman should face heavy fines along with the store manager for not training employees on what is legal tender currency or not training employees on calling the local manager to resolve something anyone with common knowledge about US currency should know. Plus the entire police department needs to go to some outside training to train officers on what is legal currency and when not to get involved.

I can get as many two dollar bills as I want to because I know of a club that only gives them out in change if you ask for change. However I have not been to Best Buy in years nor have I bought anything there anytime recent. For me it's a matter of access because there is no local store where I live at but there is 50 miles away but they close too early. As is especially with this story, I see no need to buy anything at Best Buy. If I was going to buy something there, I probably would be more inclined to get some extra two dollar bills and pay in cash. Because of the local club or clubs giving out change in two dollar bills, the clerk would probably not be surprised in my local area and think I just went to the local club. I believe I knew about the two dollar in elementary school or High School back in the 70's. I guess I can say I knew about it before several of the cashiers or clerks and maybe the policeman who arrested the guy was even born. I don't know how old they are. That means I knew it back when I was about 10 or 11 years old. Looks like education and training has really gone downhill.

I'll add I did have the advantage of visiting a US Mint and learned about the different kinds of colored paper threads and colors visible in US paper currency. I suspect the clerk elevated the situation due to being upset at the guy paying in small currency rather than the ink from the pen smearing on the currency. I have no proof but neither does anyone else.
edit on 21/8/12 by orionthehunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by orionthehunter

Looks like education and training has really gone downhill.

Looks like you didn't read the article.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I'm trying to figure out who actually called the cops.
In most big box establishments, cashiers, servers, bartenders, etc. don't have the authority to call police.

They need to get management involved.

So if a manager didn't recognize legal tender, and called the authorities, I'm thinking a lawsuit would be successful.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I read the article. I still believe the clerk and policeman need more training. The employee at Best Buy was given legal tender currency. According to the article the Secret Service confirmed it was legal tender. Obviously the store clerk and policemen were wrong and lacked training in identifying legal tender currency.

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join