It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sale of tarot readings and spells banned on eBay

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
The sale of a range of fortune-telling and witchcraft-related services will be prohibited on online auction site eBay after 30 August 2012.

Tarot readings, spells, curses and blessings are among the "intangible" categories being removed by the site.

The decision has been made because conflicts between buyers and sellers of these services are difficult to resolve, eBay said.

www.bbc.com...

"It's a very wise decision. Some people will cry it's a form of censorship, but the fact of the matter is things like tarot, spells and curses are all highly unproven".

Oh dear, "I predict" this is going to upset a few people.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

So a bit like religion then..................I guess they should ban the sale of the bible and other religious documentation because it's highly unproven?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

The vendors may cry foul, but there are plenty of of other places to get those kinds of things on line. The thing is that Ebay was so cheap for those things.

To get a phone Tarot reading for Tarot companies will run $60 and up, but on Ebay you could the same thing for 10 bucks.

I like to get a Tarot reading sometimes. I got one from a lady on Ebay that said the cards said I was cursed and need to pay her $400 to remove the curse! Yeah, like that's gonna happen!

I can see Ebay's point!
edit on 20-8-2012 by windword because: grammer

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
You cant sell Spirituality or Faith........

Or can you?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Ok, when it comes to that maybe, there a definitely people out there who will unfortunately pay it

But really, do they have to ban it? Not that I'm a user of these services, but there are a million other things on Ebay that is a million times worse for you?

(Disclamer: "Million" is just a suggested number, not an actual amount, capatainBeno has not counted the amount of bad products available on Ebay)

link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Church?

link   
I bought a 'reading' from a fortune teller on Ebay, who said my mother-in-law would die in a terrorist attack at The London Olympics. So I bought her a ticket.

I'm still waiting for my refund.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

A little sarcasm.......

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
reply to post by windword

Ok, when it comes to that maybe, there a definitely people out there who will unfortunately pay it

But really, do they have to ban it? Not that I'm a user of these services, but there are a million other things on Ebay that is a million times worse for you?

(Disclamer: "Million" is just a suggested number, not an actual amount, capatainBeno has not counted the amount of bad products available on Ebay)

Ebay doesn't care if what you buy is good or bad for you, they care about having to settle disputes, refund dollars and fend off lawsuits. It all boils down to profit, and it isn't paying off for them, so, the boot!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

So a bit like religion then..................I guess they should ban the sale of the bible and other religious documentation because it's highly unproven?

Dang you beat me to it. Yep, this opens the door to ban such things as prayer books and other religious items that promise results through faith or belief by the buyer that they actually work. Which is an unprovable "intangible" .

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Nah, the sell of the Bible corresponds to a Tarrot Deck, or the supplies to make a spell.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I suggest you do your own tarot or runes, you will get a more accurate reading using your own energy.

Love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Absolutely! It's not the fact they have banned these products, it's the fact they have decided that "things or products" like these are bullsh!t, so does that make religion..............BS in Ebay's eyes.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Hrm, check to see if they banned faith healing on there.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

While I would ever sell my services online, I'm still a bit upset about this.

Why can't they simply create a special disclaimer for orders of anything "intangible" so it would protect Ebay and the sellers from complaints?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Not quite the same, because a Bible is a physical object. That means it's possible to prove whether or not the buyer received it.
The point is not whetrher the theory is provable, but the straightforward business problem of whether reception of the purchased goods is provable.
If it's any consollation, they would probably include ecclesiatical blessings and sales of holy water in the ban, on the same principle; that the state of holiness can't be adequately proved for resolving dispiutes.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

No, there is nothing legitimate to the comparison you are trying to make.

Religious documents or books can be sold because they are ACTUAL ITEMS. They are physical goods that can be transferred between two parties.

A tarot card reading or a spell is not an item, it's not a physical item that can be transferred.

Why I had to explain this to you, and you couldn't understand the difference on your own is blowing my mind.
edit on 21-8-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by AutOmatIc

Dang you beat me to it. Yep, this opens the door to ban such things as prayer books and other religious items that promise results through faith or belief by the buyer that they actually work. Which is an unprovable "intangible" .

No, it doesn't. Why is reading comprehension so terrible on ATS as of late.

A prayer BOOK is a physical ITEM. I can put it in a box, ship it via UPS, and it will arrive at your doorstep. You open box, have physical good.

A spell or a card reading is NOT.

eBay is tired of all the nutters filing claims with eBay because they didn't receive their "item" which isn't an item at all, which is the problem. I don't blame eBay in the least here. I would love to though, as I hate eBay. But I have my standards and won't bash an entity for doing the right thing just because I don't like them.
edit on 21-8-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
The banning of Tarot cards being sold on ebay.........

You thought they would have seen that coming.................

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:09 AM
link   
I never understood people that would sell magick.

If I want something, I pretty much get it.

Why would I SELL a spell to someone else, so that I could then get money, and go buy something?
I just get it.
Never understood that.
Some things I can't get right. But why would I buy a spell from someone else knowing they probably are worse at magick than I am if they are having to sell spells to get money or stuff?

This is my train of thought on this. I'm pagan and I am ok with eBay stopping it. I think it's all phoney anyway.

Now, I have bought psychic readings sometimes. It seems a fun way to give someone a bit of money, see what they do. For my real psychic readings, I sit down with my dear friend or husband, and we work on them together. They still don't work like we'd want them to. A lot of times they do, but it's only evident a LONG time later. It hurts my head and usually I don't really want to know. Why would I sell that?
I might buy one though, just to put someone else on the spot, and maybe pay to get a stranger to consider my problems, which might actually be of magickal use to me. IE, one of my favorite ways to get some luck, is to make someone else lucky.

Darn, having a magickal belief system is NOT easy in a society that hates the idea of it, thinks it is crazy and is simply incapable of thinking in the circles it takes to maintain what I think of as a crazy, but wonderful thing.

I can just imagine people buying a spell to get money from a 'witch' that is selling a spell to get money.
Selling magick is not spiritually cool in my mind....it is all ripe for just another form of usury and I don't approve of that. Everyone should do their own or freely help those in need.

The worst thing is when strangers knock at your door wanting magick. Go get me the eye of a 3 toed frog born on the 1st of May under a blue moon and we can get that done. I'm sure that's how a lot of that got started.
edit on 21-8-2012 by hadriana because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join