It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Web site scans twitter for tweets to find out your address.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
This web site says it is just a social experiment. My spidey sense kind of went off. There are already people tweeting about the wrong stuff and getting in trouble for it now they will know where you live and I can see peoples doors being kicked in just for something stupid. This has got trouble written all over it and who knows who will use it. They even post your address online.

WeKnowYourHouse.com is a recently launched website with an apt name. Basically, the site scans Twitter for tweets with location data that also make a reference to "home". From there, they can take the latitude and longitude, plop it in to Google Maps and get a reasonable estimate of your address. Lastly, they plot it on a map. It's creepy as all hell, but all just "a social experiment" according to the site.

gizmodo.com...

weknowyourhouse.com...

edit on 20-8-2012 by celticdog because: link didnt work

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You have a typo in your link

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
i cant say its a bad thing.
facebook atleast has a use, twitter is just an annoying word and a uselss website.

if people get caught out maybe they'll learn a lesson.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Here's a tip : Dont post anything on ANY social media site that could be taken the wrong way and you'll have nothing to worry about. Of course,I can say that since I hardly use any social media site.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by aaron2209

there you go link fixed

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Only the past hour of data is displayed, after that it is fully deleted to protect the users privacy.

They have the guts to talk about privacy...

...we offer our users a simple opt-out procedure so that they can remove their information from the site......You may be asked to complete a short survey or install a toolbar when opting-out, this it to help with the running costs of the website.

Simple Opt-out ??? By completing a survey (meaning giving personal info) or Installing a F%&*& Toolbar !!

Right now, all the most recent addresses they've posted seem to be in Ireland and the U.K., but there wouldn't be anything keeping them from expanding...

Done already here some U.S adresses...

Btw with that screenshot say bye bye to your " Only the past hour of data is displayed, after that it is fully deleted to protect the users privacy "

That is why WeKnowYourHouse.com exists, to educate users about using Twitter and locations wisely, as well as any other location-aware apps.

The idea is not bad.

The root of evil, the location button...

edit on 21/8/2012 by B3lz3buth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
It is displayed for an hour.how is that private.To delete it after that and say it is to protect their privacy is weird. Could this be used to see if you are not home as well?There is no need for this but passing it off as a social experiment it makes it seem ok.Maybe it is a test for another program they have in the wings.They dont spend money on the likes of this for nothing.

top topics

join