It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What threw the planets around the sun?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Need to write this quick. If I go to sleep without getting this question out there, I'll forget it.

Right or wrong, this is what I understand about our solar system:

The sun and the planets were formed out of gases and dust.

The sun was created and formed a curve in space-time. The planets sit in the curve of this space-time and their velocity keeps them from falling into the sun.

But as the planets first formed, how could they have been orbiting the sun? What gave them the speed in the beginning to keep them in a stable orbit?

Hope I explained it well enough, because I am off to bed. Nite all!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Basic Astronomy

Creationistic viewpoint: (Why? Because this group has an issue with the theories, and considering some of the Exoplannets, I can see why.)
Retrograde plannets.
Exoplanets don't fit the theories, all the time.
edit on 20-8-2012 by CynicalDrivel because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
well the big bang, was an explosion sending everything off into every direction. When larger objects like stars got close enough to smaller objects like rocks planets, etc. they just "attracted" them with great vast amounts of gravity. and the objects rotated around the larger ones. And since space has no friction, they keep moving forever. unless they hit another object.

and that works for pretty much every object in space.

moons orbit planets
planets orbit suns(stars)
Stars in multiple star systems (binaries, trinaries, etc) orbit their common center of mass.
galaxys orbit (black holes and galaxy cluters)
edit on 20-8-2012 by shadowplaya because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Maybe it is not 'what' but who

Seriously though, could it be the strength of the suns gravity?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Certainly gets a tired brain working

Perhaps it can all be explained with a mixture of science and religion and that the sun's are actually put in place by an intelligent lifeform, an experiment if you like.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Nothing did, imagine a lot of debris floating around the sun due to it's immense gravity, some of this debris will clump together, as it gets bigger so does it's gravitational force, making more debris attach to it. When it's gravity is strong enough it will form into the sphere shape that defines a planet.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Well someone will come along with a perfect scientific explanation but in all reality, I believe no one really has proof of how planets are formed. It is all theories and speculation. Gravity, mass and velocity I am sure play a key role but then again we do have rouge planets wondering around. Something had to give...which was it?

Lightmeup04

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Its like "dust bunnies," they formed on there own.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Gravity....

2nd

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
The way I see it is, unless you can prove me wrong, then I am correct. And the same goes for the god post, unless I can prove that incorrect. It is also true.

The fact is:
-Everything orbits something whether it be stars, galaxy clusters, black holes, planets. whatever
en.wikipedia.org...
-Space has no friction ( in general, because interstellar dust does in fact cause very very minute friction)
en.wikipedia.org...
-Nothing in the universe is stationary. Everything is moving. In orbit, as well as rotation.
-The force that acted upon these objects to get them moving had to be huge. Unimaginable huge GOD huge. EXPLOSION huge.
www.ugcs.caltech.edu...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lightmeup04

A rogue planet — also known as an interstellar planet, nomad planet or orphan planet — is a planetary-mass object which has either been ejected from its system or was never gravitationally bound to any star, brown dwarf or other such object, and that therefore orbits the galaxy directly.

en.wikipedia.org...

Again the issue is Gravity...

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Laymons terms:

A rouge planet is the "one that got away" its traveled vast distances, to far away to be "caught" by gravity of a larger object. But effected enough to alter its orbit ever so slightly. While keeping constant motion (due to friction) and constant Orbit (galaxy's black hole) its traveled long enough to pick up enough speed to stray away from the black holes orbit as well. ( due to slingshot method around larger objects)

Its like the Lotto winner. But the odds are 1 in a BILLION BILLION BILLION BILLION BILLION BILLION. but since the universe is Forever, it was bound to happen. many upon many times.
edit on 20-8-2012 by shadowplaya because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowplaya
The way I see it is, unless you can prove me wrong, then I am correct. And the same goes for the god post, unless I can prove that incorrect. It is also true.

What? That makes no sense. Just because you can't be proved wrong does not make you correct, it just means people can't tell you that you're wrong. I'm not saying you aren't correct.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Spin is what gave rise to planets and stars.

The laws of physics dictate that atoms, and sub-atomic particles, have a spin to them known as their angular momentum. When you combine the force of gravity that pulls these spinning particles towards one another, along with the force of the angular momentum, or spin, the combination of the two give rise to macroscopic spin. With enough atoms and particles, you eventually get stars and planets.

~Namaste

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Kashai

The way I see it....rouge planets at some point in their journey should be pulled in by something as a star or even a giant gas planet. We are still to young to comprehend what our solor system or our universe has in store for us. I believe sol is not done capturing what we see to exist.

Lightmeup04

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

think rings of saturn
gravitational pull is proportional to the mass of the objects and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them (inverse square law) so small objects in a ring of dust may be to be more attracted to each other than they are to the sun these gather and condense into the planets (denser particles being closer to the sun and lighter ones being further away)
the dust itself is already in orbit before the planets are even formed (i think thats what youre missing)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
It's probably the same reason the water starts spinning when you flush the toilet.
Friction from the water falling down the drain. The sun is just one big drain.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Who really knows.
Lots of theories thrown around,including biblical theory.
But,it has happened billions of times,no?
Either it's a natural process or God is REALLY bored.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
they teach this is primary schools..
i dont know which bit you find
hard to grasp?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

After and during the big bang expansion, there was a great formless cloud of separate particles, spread throughout the universe - they were pretty much all Hydrogen atoms or sub-atomic and they were moving over the Higgs field. Most particles felt resistance (more or less) to movement relative to this field, those particles that didn't we call Photons and we call this light.

Due to the formless, foamy and random nature of the cloud, some areas of particles changed their angular velocity towards others through weak gravitation to the largest mass differential and since their energies were diffuse enough so that they no longer pushed each other apart, they began clumping.

This clumping of mass caused the distortion of space-time that we call gravitation. The greater the mass, the more it affects the curvature of space-time, the more curved space-time the greater the change to the angular momentum of matter.

This gravitation also gave rise to resonances which could occur between the clumps. In this way there were preferred distances of clumps between each other, relative to their mass and motion.

Not only did these clumps get bigger, but larger clumps attracted other large clumps. This happened while all the clumps were in motion with respect to each other. Each clump moving in different directions in 3D space. In some clumps, this constant motion caused some masses to fall, not directly towards each other, but in spirals and orbits. Some orbits were such that they would not decay.

And still the clumps grew, sweeping up all they could reach and adding to their masses. Until the intervening spaces were largely swept clean and all that remained were the clumps whose orbits were stable.

Some of the clumps gained enough mass that, at their cores the gravitation forced the hydrogen atoms together in fours at such pressure that they lost a little energy and turned into two Helium atoms. This process of fusion was repeated in the more massive clumps producing heavier and heavier elements from the Hydrogen atoms.

At some stage, in the most massive stars/clumps the radiative process caused by the fusion of these elements came to and end and suddenly all that explosive extra energy that was holding them outwards from their cores, stopped. They began to collapse under their own phenomenal weight. Sometimes they just collapsed into neutron stars and began the process of cooling. In others, the collapse triggered new atomic ignition which blew part of the star's matter out into space as yet another atomic cloud, this time containing heavier elements. In some stars this process repeated over and over. Some finished, collapsed into Black Holes, but others completely exploded into gas that would add to the cloud.

Meanwhile, the gravitation of the existing clumps continued to sweep space clean of all the new star stuff and sometimes whole new clumps came about from the exploded star remains. And still the clumping process goes on.

Sometimes even relatively large clumps are perturbed out of place and can be re-captured in other orbits around other clumps.

And so we now see stars, planets, moons, meteors and comets in our local vicinity and we call it the Solar System. Those clumps in non-decaying orbits are still there, the rest are mostly gone.

edit on 20/8/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join