It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help!!! Tomato plant problem.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by VoidHawk

Tomato plants are heavy feeders.
I feed mine twice a month when I remember....keeps the plants as healthy as possible to prevent disease and bugs.

In the US we have an organic fertilizer for tomatoes....but I would guess an organic veggie fertilizer would work too.
As for the pictures....not something I've encountered.

Tomato plants are very heavy feeders indeed, however if you use a local (USA/State approved fertilizer) feed like Miracle Grow which is common, but not as good as it used to be, it will flourish somewhat as it is heavily chemically processed, meaning, the nutrients are not organic in their procurement and probably contain many derivatives of sodium...such as sodium phosphate, which is not good and inflate your fruits and veggies to look huge with no significant nutritional value.

Simply feeding every 60-90 days or so is not the ultimate answer. Feeding everything your plant needs will most certainly produce a great fruit/vegetable/flower, but it WILL NOT ward off any common pest what so ever...period! A great fertilizer rich in phosphates and potash in the "Bloom/Fruiting/Flowering" phase is of course essential, but when it comes to pests...boy oh boy you have to be armed to the tee....and I really mean that. Fighting off pest that attack your food is worse than fighting the Taliban (sarc of course).

Anyone of us should (including me) educate ourselves as much as poosible when growing food, especially organic food as it is not as easy as it seems (meaning you can't grow organics with chemical nutes and expect great results...it's just not healthy, especially when growing in soil). It is not as simple as most think. As a matter of fact, it is quite the daunting feet when you give it a go. You can succeed, but it takes determination, patience and a hell of a lot of detail and practice when you grow food "organically". Just "simply" feeding the proper nutirents is only a 1/4 at best of the whole process.

BTW, I won't even get into seeds, propagating or cloning...that's a whole other thread on organic growing.

I would like to add that my specialty (as I do this for a living and this is how I pay my bills) is growing hydroponically or aquaponics.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by becomingaware
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Yeah I've heard that its a good wetting agent, but I've never done it because I was afraid it would kill my beneficials. Ive used wet betty before but didn't really see the need for it after a while. Molasses works well enough for me and it has appropriate sugars. That or just disturb the top soil a little bit.

I was thinking more along the lines of using it to kill spores not pests.

...To the op, yeah you need to use at least a light nutrient. If your going all organic try worm castings and seabird or bat guano. When the plant is flowering or producing fruit they need phospates and potassium.

Yes, molasses is a great carb...or sugar to add when feeding beneficials and increasing size...it's awesome actually! I can't honestly, say one way or another (on nutes and pests) when it comes to soil as I do not specialize in soil grows, but I do know that everything you add to soil should be less by at least 33% when growing in hydro. However the only real difference IMVHO in soil vs hydro is the ph Balance. Now we're talking alkalinity vs. acidity.

Oh and yes, the assortment of pest that you may possibly acquire in soil (outdoors and maybe indoor soil grow, but not hydroponics) vs. greenhouse/indoors, which obviously is much more controlled and can be re-created is insurmountable. You can really achieve greater beginnings with hydro vs. soil IMHO.

Of course you always have the option of transplanting from soil to hydro...a huge factor

ETA
Wet Betty by Advanced Nutrients is just another one of their overpriced schemes IMO. SM-90 which contains coriander oil is a natural/organic deterrent for pest, especially the classic mite which we all despise. I can't stand the peeps at Advanced Nutes...they suck! Now they have 5 (similar) products that achieve the same results whether you grow in soil or hydro for everything. They used to be great...now they're just over priced and have saturated the industry with their misleading ads IMVHO.

I remember back about 10 years ago when I could call the "guy" on his cell phone in Canada at Advanced and would get the Chemist (I won't mention his/her name) on the phone....he/she was very helpful. Now, Advanced IMVHO, is just a piece a crap
I sincerely despise that company. Money only matters now to Advanced and they're constantly having numerous products recalled because their "chemistry" was off, like with Pirahana and Tarantula for example.

That's lame and a waste of money IMO
Who needs to buy 3-4 products from the same company that produce the same results

edit on 8/22/12 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I totally agree, advanced nutrients is way overpriced and they concentrate on their marketing more than their chemistry.

I started in hydro and still prefer it by choice. Started using gh 8 years ago, I eventually moved to house and garden. Pricey as well but I get great results. They really are all the same but some contain more chelated salts than others.

I've been making my own compost teas to run on a soil less mix on a side by side table. I haven't noticed the difference yet but will probably be able to tell with the final product. ..Well that's not true, my hydro table does seem more vigorous in growth.

From what I understand I will actually need to flush my organic more than my pure hydro in the last few weeks. So we'll see.

I'll always love growing hydroponically more than soil. Just because of the control aspect. I can gauge everything.

Do you use co2 in your garden?

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Some type of fungus.. Let me guess, you live in southern ontario near the great lakes.?
Guelph?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join