It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Too white to sing? Two high school choirs banned from performing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Listen I'm all for diversity, but this is just ridiculous. Why wouldn't you want the better choirs to perform? Because they aren't diverse enough?

Two celebrated high school choruses have been barred from performing with Atlanta Symphony Orchestra at this year’s Christmas concert over alleged complaints that the groups are not racially diverse enough. For the past four years, choirs from Lassiter and Walton high school in Cobb County have performed with the ASO, but for this year’s concert, another, more diverse chorus will take their place, according to Cobb County Schools spokesman Jay Dillon. The school district pointed out that its choral programs are open to all students and participation is determined on merit alone.

So placement in the choirs is based off ability. Makes sense. Just don't tell that to the Atlanta Orchestra, apparently talent matters less than color. Is this really the message we want to be sending to high school kids? To the country?

The move has sparked criticism in Atlanta, with some local residents, including African-Americans, decrying it as discriminatory and unfair toward students at the two high schools. Romanstein said he was surprised by the reaction.

You're suprised Ramanstein? Really? What's surprising about people being put off about your discriminating based on race? That black people agreed? Probably.

My favorite part of this nonsense?

Meanwhile, we also asked about the racial diversity of the ASO itself. A 2008 study by the League of American Orchestras found that 87% of musicians in U.S. symphonies are white. But Melissa A.E. Sanders, the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra's senior director of communications, wrote, "It is against our policy to share the race and/or ethnicity of our musicians, so I am unable to share that information."

Sorry kids, you're too white. It doesn't matter for the ASO though. We won't share tat information though we are trying to force diversity down everyone's throat.

Video at link

Another link

I get that other schools should have a run at performing with the orchestra, that's not my issue. The issue I have is that they made it racial. Had it just been said the ASO wished to work with more schools, so be it. Requiring racial diversity is absurd.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
What did they have no Rhythm?

lol I kid, this is disgusting that it happened.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I wonder how many other holidays the ASO celebrates. Better not just be Christmas! That's not inclusive enough for the community.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Maybe there weren't many people of other ethnicities that wanted to be in the choir... Maybe they were small schools and didn't have a lot of cultural or ethnic diversity. My school in NE Ky. would have never gotten to participate in anything if this was always the case.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   
People out there think that by doing moronic crap like this they are making the world a better place.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by cassiper

I think those are pretty fair assumptions to make. A school can't force all the non white kids to join, and if they suck they shouldn't anyway. As the administration pointed out, the choirs are open to anyone with talent. I guess the moral here is that you have to pepper in some black kids and asians to be allowed to perform with the choir.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I think it is more about being fair to other schools in the area. It also states this in the link you provided....

‘There are at least 12 very talented high school choirs in Atlanta,’ Romanstein said. ‘We gave Lassiter and Walton choirs an opportunity to perform for four consecutive years, and they were marvelous.

‘We think it's time to give other Atlanta high school choirs, who are very skilled and deserving, their chance to perform with the ASO as well.’

Lassiter and Walton were given the option of sending some members of their choruses to perform at the concert, but the schools turned down the offer.

‘Because the full choruses would not be able to perform with the symphony, both Lassiter and Walton have declined to participate this year,’ said Dillon

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

I did wonder at first whether or not the ASO meant giving other schools a chance when referring to diversity, but in one of the articles I read it was pretty clear they were talking about the diversity within specific choir groups.

As I said in the OP, I'm all for giving other schools a shot (as long as they are as good as these 2 choirs). The thing that irks me is making it racial.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
The only reason this story is racist is that these schools are not in the city of Atlanta or Fulton County. Maybe that explains the lack of diversity

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Posted earlier here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

**Thread Closed**

for future reference:

We Have A New Search Engine--Please Use It!

top topics

join