It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Slavery still in use in America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Pre-Trial Slave Sues Jail for $11 Million—in Vermont

The year was December 2008, and University of Vermont graduate student Finbar McGarry faced a dilemma. An inmate in a Vermont county jail, McGarry was required by correctional authorities to work in the jail laundromat for 25 cents per hour. If he refused to work, McGarry would have been thrown in solitary confinement—otherwise known as “the hole.” Not a pleasant alternative.

There’s plenty of legal and historical precedent for putting convicts to hard work in America. Angola prison in Louisiana is perhaps America’s most notorious work farm—where not only do the inmates farm their own food, they make the prison boatloads of money by putting on an annual rodeo.

The iconographic chain gang lingers in our consciousness, thanks to films like Cool Hand Luke.

Here’s the catch: Paul Newman’s Luke, anti-heroic as he may have been, was a convicted thief. He had a definitive sentence, as do most real-life convicts condemned to hard labor in America.

source

So is this messed up or what? People being used as slaves in our jail system without even being convicted yet...
The whole idea of enslaving people convicted of crimes is kind of messed up to begin with but even more so when said people are just awaiting their trial and have not been convicted of any crime.

thoughts?
edit on 20-8-2012 by lobotomizemecapin because: forgot link

POSTING WORK WRITTEN BY OTHERS: Please read!Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.
edit on August 20th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
First, if you violate the laws of the land you face certain removal of your rights.

Things like the ability to self determine.

This is a far more complex issue than just Jails making convicts work.

The question starts to become what is the true purpose of our Jail system, is it punishment? Is it correctional? is it some weird amalgam of the two?

The only thing that is really clear is the system is flawed, and reforms are greatly needed all around.

From the privatization of them, to the treatment of inmates, to mandatory minimum sentencing that takes away the judicial ability to moderate it all.

Are we jailing people to profit someone else (society, gov, private corp) or are we doing it for the offenders own good?

Now since he wasn't convicted, I hope that one day he is sitting in his estate on the states dime.

edit on 20-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

I agree but the article is about people that have not been convicted being forced into servitude. Many people get arrested but arent able to pay bail while awaiting trial but are being forced to work whether they are guilty or not

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
reply to post by benrl

I agree but the article is about people that have not been convicted being forced into servitude. Many people get arrested but arent able to pay bail while awaiting trial but are being forced to work whether they are guilty or not

Exactly, so the premise that the jail system is in place as a correctional measure now days is BS, it is punishment and profit.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
He wasn't someone's property.

No one bought him or sold him.

However, he was forced to work when he didn't want to and as a result contracted a serious infection.

I don't think that the jail should be able to treat someone who has not been convicted of a crime in this manner.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
He should be paid for all that work he did.

Infact, why couldnt he have worked for a short time to pay his bail, and then released until his trial?

Infact, why couldnt they let him out without bail? Thats pretty common

Atleast he wasnt working to make someone a profit though. Its even more sickening to read about people in jail being made to make designer jeans being sold for 100 dollars a pair.

And wtf is with corporate prisons requiring the state to keep them 90 percent full?

That said, i like the idea of inmates...who have been convicted of crimes....being made to do useful things for the jail, and as far as i know thats been a common thing for years. Growing their own food is a great idea. i wonder if it tastes better than regular prison food?

I wonder what the former governors of illinois do in prison!!!

Ill die before i ever go to jail, slavery or not.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

“Money is a new form of slavery, and distinguishable from the old simply by the fact that it is impersonal - that there is no human relationship between master and slave.”

- Count Leo Nikolaevich Tolstoi

I know this isn't what the thread is about but I still believe it's relevant.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Our "correctional" system is all about ownership and profit, and nothing else. If you start researching it, and digging into it. You'll find that out.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
You need to read you history more. We did end involuntary slavery, aka buying people who where enslave against their will and sold for profit. However we did not end slavery as a form of punishment.

So since the guy was in prison its legal since its considered punishment.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JBRiddle
You need to read you history more. We did end involuntary slavery, aka buying people who where enslave against their will and sold for profit. However we did not end slavery as a form of punishment.

So since the guy was in prison its legal since its considered punishment.

Bzzzt, wrong.

You cannot punish someone until they are CONVICTED.

This man was in jail awaiting TRIAL, meaning he was NOT found guilty yet, meaning he was, by the letter of the law, an INNOCENT man.

You cannot force an innocent man to do labor in prison.
edit on 21-8-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JBRiddle

Lol did you even read the article?

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
SLavery is rampant these days and it's directed at whites in general through marxist policy in the western bloxcks.
Not because we did anything in the past, but because we stood by and watched people write our destiny.
Never again.
Holocaust?

NEVER
edit on 24-8-2012 by HamrHeed because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join