It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama warns Syria chemical weapons use may spark US action

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Obama, nor any president, has the constitutional power to do any such thing. Absolutely unacceptable.

Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 "War Powers Clause"

The Congress shall have Power: To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water...

The power to declare war, including the power of judging the causes of war, is fully and exclusively vested in the legislature. The executive has no right, in any case, to decide the question, whether there is or is not cause for declaring war. – James Madison

The constitution vests the power of declaring war in Congress; therefore no offensive expedition of importance can be undertaken until after they shall have deliberated upon the subject and authorized such a measure. – George Washington

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
Yup i think this is code for "Step down Assad or we will unleash chemical weapons and blame it on YOU"
edit on 20-8-2012 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Why in the wild world of sports would the U.S. threaten another coountry with use of chem bombs? It would set off a domino effect, and next thing you know, everyone is gassing everyone else. I am saddened over the state of affairs in Syria, but as unfortunate as it is, it's an affair for Syria and SYRIA ALONE to figure out. Enough is enough, I'm tired of playing World Police.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Where is the deterrent not to use chemical weapons?

If Syria is invaded by combined forces then Assad and Syria as we know it are finished that's undeniable so what is the threat here to beat the beaten twice or am I missing something.

All Assad has to do is wait to the 11th hour to use them and if his country is on the verge of destruction then he has a legitimate right to strike his attackers with them & in some ways I hope he does just to prove to the world bullies that they may win but that doesn't mean they get of lightly.

If America was invaded and about to loose would they use chemical/bio/nuclear weapons? Of course they would as would any country that is about to cease to exist.

So I ask again what am I missing & where is the deterrent, just don't be silly enough to make it your first strike save it for your last.

Kind of a parting $%#@ you as it were.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I'm having Deja Vu.... Didn't we all just go through this a few weeks ago when it was confirmed Assad WAS moving his Chemical Weapons but to hide them FROM defecting military to the Rebels...not to USE them on those people? It sounded like a perfectly viable thing to do and it drove Washington crazy. Well screw Washington with a fork. Syria isn't under U.S. Control and unless Assad actually uses one of those weapons, Washington has NO business even having an opinion beyond the strictly personal.

As others have said and I've noted before myself. Assad's death has been decided just as Gaddafi's was. Gaddafi's even tried to make a deal at the end..as I recall reading. So much for that hope...and it made the ultimate fate he suffered in a filthy street all the worse for that having been tried at all.

NEWSFLASH: Obama didn't get the Memo...but Syria did not SIGN the Chemical weapons treaty just as Israel didn't sign the Nuclear treaty. Israel makes nukes....Syria makes Chemical weapons and BOTH have been making their weapons since the 80's. It's the biggest non-secret secret in the world as far as I'm concerned.

So..Syria has had these for 30 years...and only NOW do we care. Why??? Obama needs political points and Clinton has a legacy she wants from her time at State,. God knows how many Syrians will die and a nation torn asunder....so those two worthless politicians can get a few more points on the scoreboard.

I just want to throw up with some stories...and Obama should stand at the Hague for his crimes ....IF he carries through on destroying yet ANOTHER country just because he figured it had to be.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
unless Assad actually uses one of those weapons, Washington has NO business even having an opinion beyond the strictly personal.

edit on 22-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

My sentiments exactly. Until he uses it, and ONLY if he unleashes those terrible harbingers of death, then the best thing the world can do, is watch, and wait.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
As i was saying: www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Why is Obama now calling for restraint? I wonder why the change in posturing. Whoever is really running the show ought to check the script for continuity.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Chemical weapons have already been used. WHat Obama should state: is when Assad starts using Chemical weapons it may spark US actions. Because the first use of these weapons were conducted by the rebles.

What this means is that the US support the rebel use of Chemical weapons, but not if Assad uses them.

posted on Aug, 26 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
The US administration seems to be chomping at the bit to get in to Syria and get involved as is my own government. I hope cooler heads prevail. Our goverments are making us look like war mongers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join