It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Valedictorian Denied Diploma Over Graduation Speech

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   
"How the hell do I know?" ...that was it? This country has become so puerile over the years, it's embarrassing.

I've seen newscasters apologize for having to say the word "breast" on the air. At the same time soldiers in Iraq were coming home with body parts missing, there was that outcry over Janet Jackson's nipple. Life out of balance.

Anyway, I agree with KeliOnyx that a lawyer should be contacted. I don't think that the diploma can be legally withheld from her.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:14 AM
link   
How the flying *#$2&% did this turn into a political argument? Wow, no wonder nothing gets done. You were all upset about what happened to this girl, and your anger became derailed by simple remarks that had nothing to do with the topic at all. And we all wonder why politics don't solve anything. . .

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by hawkiye
That principle needs a motivational seminar out behind the woodshed! What an egotistical idiot this guy is withholds the acknowledgement of all her hard work because he did not like a single word in her speech...

Wait - wait - wait. Let's be real.

She submitted a speech draft. I think most high schools at least - - require this.

In her speech draft she used the word Heck. Then delivered the speech using the word Hell.

Technically she's in violation.

However - - - I do not support these "time warp yahoos" - - - or their choice of disciplinary action.

It was a minor infraction and there just using her as an example for their totalitarian rule.

Well.. Can they? .. I mean.. do they have that right? Is it written someplace that if you deviate from your proposed speech that this is grounds for not receiving that diploma? If it is, and the girl Knew this before hand, then I'd say hell no don't give her that diploma!

They want graduates that show they are good stewards of the teachings of the school. This partly involves following directions and not breaking the rules - just like every other day at school.

If the girl cannot do that, and knew this before hand, then she doesn't deserve that diploma no matter what her GPA is.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Texan hick perry used the last words of a likely innocent man to illustrate that the martyr was indeed a 'demon from hell' because he cursed his wife just before they electrocuted him. They found 'a pentagram' in the floor of the charred house which was most probably caused by wind patterns through the windows, no accelerant, and all the investigations were called off through political expedience.

Texans don't elect governors who parole death row inmates. I wouldn't visit that place unless it was to scratch a few designs over their new cauldron.

Perry is a walking talking illustration of what happens to men who sell out to convenience. Keep an eye on him. I think he's in for some problems, soon.
edit on 21-8-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
I question the legality of the school withholding her diploma. She earned that diploma, and her parents paid school taxes toward her education. If I were her parents, I would file a law suit against the district and ask the courts for additional compensation. Holding her diploma because of a poor choice of a word is really ridiculous. Where is her right to free speech? Maybe the word "hell" conveyed her annoying frustration better than "heck?" I personally don't even consider the word "hell" as being vulgar. It would be a cold day in "hell" if a school held back a diploma that I worked hard to receive.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

People should send emails to those in charge in that high school and tell them "go to hell" in plain words...

Although not all Atheists might respond in the same way this was clearly done because the director, and/or some other people in charge at this school seem to be atheists. Who else would get offended by the word hell?

I wonder what they would have tried to do to her if she had included something like "omg"...
edit on 21-8-2012 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
PETTY - hogwash, totalitarian, authoritarian... BS.!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Is there a video of the speech? Or a transcript?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I did a quick search and discovered 'Rick Martin' was the guy responsible for withholding the diploma. A 'Dr. Rick Martin' no less. His email address was also posted and I sent off an email to him in which I expressed that I thought he was treading on much too deep of water, and the repercussions of a suit might be unpleasant but inevitable. I wrote it respectfully and signed in my 'Real' name. No response so far, though I don't really expect one. Never the less, this whole debacle is what appears to be a stubborn principal and an equally stubborn student. Nothing here can be 'unsaid', and I believe this will follow Dr. Rick Martin much longer than it will the young Girl. And not necessarily in a positive light. Might even lead to his removal ultimately. Suits could cost a substantial amount to the School and County tax payers.............. all over stubbornness.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by hawkiye

People should send emails to those in charge in that high school and tell them "go to hell" in plain words...

Although not all Atheists might respond in the same way this was clearly done because the director, and/or some other people in charge at this school seem to be atheists. Who else would get offended by the word hell?

I wonder what they would have tried to do to her if she had included something like "omg"...

Sure...... at first glance, it's the reaction of most...... I admit myself included... But that would serve no useful purpose other than to lower ourselves to a very juvenile level. Anger sometimes makes us act irrationally, and I think this would be the end result. Do as I did and write a respectful email and present your feelings. But do it with respect and some semblance of dignity.
Though, at first, my leanings were towards your suggestion.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Oklahoma. God that state is going down the toilet.

The principal should be fired. Clearly he belongs at a church.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Free Speech means saying what liberals find acceptable and nothing else.

If I was this kid's father, they would be surgically removing my fist from his face!!!

Ahem .... Have you ever been to Oklahoma? Have you ever lived in Oklahoma? If you had you would know that Oklahoma is about religious conservative as you can get. A proud standing member of the bible belt!. You have heard of the bible belt right?

I was just wondering if anyone had any links to her speech? I am curious in how the word hell was used.

edit on 21-8-2012 by TRGreer because: Added a thought.

edit on 21-8-2012 by TRGreer because: Typo

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElectricUniverse
reply to post by hawkiye

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point here. I saw nothing to indicate that this was an atheist agenda. From the small part of her speech I read I saw nothing to indicate this was a religious or a political statement. Why people seem to make this giant leap in logic? How the hell should I know?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Perfect example of what society has created. Empowers bottom feeder people that are too comfortable and think NOTHING will ever happen to them, because they honestly believe they are protected by "the police" and that "the Police" will rush in and save the day.

This moron is a freaking educator yet acting like the gestapo. What people need to do is put others in their place when they get out of line, such as........walk into office and explain that your giving them 1 chance to hand over the diploma. If they don't you smash their face in.......Then this person will have learned the gravity of the situation of not KNOWING their place in life as an educator.

This is the reality in the real world...some people aren't scared of "the Police" or "Jail"

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
Free Speech means saying what liberals find acceptable and nothing else.

If I was this kid's father, they would be surgically removing my fist from his face!!!

LOL. Liberals are not offended by the word hell. IT's the right-wing religious fringe, the conservatives, who find words like "hell" to be offensive

come on, how many liberals do you know who are bothered by that word?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Sounds like in using the world HELL she was describing the school...surpirsed she didn't use other share words to describe the faculty!
edit on 21-8-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
I feel this girl should get her diploma.

We live in the age of hypocracy/Egotism/False Entitlement thanks to grand lord obama and the democrat party,..The champions of these actions.

I don't like to politicize everything but just look out they operate and their connection to Unions/Teacher Unions.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by acidsweep

Does this school have a list of approved and disapproved words? This makes zero sense, and out of all words.. 'hell' ???

That's not the point.

She submitted the text for review before the speech, and she had written the word "heck".

Text gets approved.

Then during the speech she changed the word from "heck" to "hell".

So, she broke the school's rule, of having the text approved before the speech, and sticking to that approved speech.

She is just a rule breaker.

If the president of the United States got up and improvised the speech his "handlers" gave him to deliver, he'd be impeached too. Even he has to follow the "teleprompter".

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

there are rules in place regarding speeches given at high school graduations. any person giving a speech needs to follow the rules. she will graduate but not receive her diploma. the girl had to know the outcome would be if she "tested the limits" of the system she was attending school in.

the student broke the rules. she was disciplined according to the rules. nothing more nothing less.

the rules have been in place for a long time. if there was a problem with the speech rules, why wait until now to address it?

this kid looked for trouble and found it.

-subfab

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join