It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Christians like atheists?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm not one to pick out a person from the internet and give them a hard time, but I have seen some athiests that don't give a care about Anybody. It makes me feel miserable that they don't care.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I'm trying to word this carefully.. that's sorta irrelevant. You have those types of people in all walks of life and worldviews.

edit on 21-8-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by gentledissident

I honestly can say I don't have a problem with atheists, and can understand why some of them have come to their conclusions that there is no God.

What I do have a problem with are atheists that try to control others, and belittle and ridicule others for believing in God.

I don't belittle and ridicule anyone for NOT believing in God, and only what the same consideration of freedom of choice.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by gentledissident
My 11 year old daughter has started to experience harassment. She was confronted by a classmate who asked what church she went to. My daughter told her that she doesn't go to church and that she's not a believer in any god. This girl now publicly tells my daughter in a menacing way that she is going to Hell whenever she sees her. I hope you Christians are making sure your kids aren't into this game.

It is sad when any child gets belittled and ridiculed for their beliefs.

I know of Christian children who have suffered the same torment from those who ridicule their beliefs, and mock them for being Christian.

It is considered so "uncool" to believe in Christ by many children today ( perhaps due to parents), and many Christian children are tormented for their beliefs.

Please..I ask parents who do not "buy" into Christianity to teach their children not to hate, and to have tolerance for the freedoms of others without subjecting them to ridicule.
edit on 21-8-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-8-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AfterInfinity
reply to post by mojo2012

Not as sorry as we feel for you. It's like watching a cockroach with no feelers trying to find food...

I feel your pain.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I highly agree with everything you said. Even about Patrick.
You probably didn't know because I try to avoid all religious discussions here at ATS. I have firm beliefs and feel no need to debate with others about them when I know they are not going to change. Likewise, I am not going to convert an atheist so it is pointless. Now if someone wanted to know my beliefs I would freely discuss that with anyone in a respectful manner.

Like you, I can debate and don't mind having discussions about the bible, God, my experiences, etc. but to be degraded because of that is unacceptable to me because I do not treat others that way. It's respect that needs to be on both sides and a lot of folks lack it.

I come from the old school too. There is no racism in my bible. If everyone started from 2 people...racism makes no sense. God loves those of us who believe and those who do not and I truly feel that He does not want anyone to go to hell. We are all his children IMO.
edit on 8/21/2012 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
This is an oddly applicable question for me. I'm a Catholic and I probably know and am friends with more atheists and skeptics than devoutly religious people.

I don't know any Christians that would dislike someone due to a lack of religious faith. On the other hand, I'm not psychic so I can't say that with any certainty.

As a Christian, I'm concerned about the eternal disposition of my friends, but aside from that, I'm more concerned with how they treat people who can't benefit them than I am about their religion, national origin or sexual orientation.

In general, if you are a good person, I'm happy to call you friend.

Eric

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
You have those types of people in all walks of life and worldviews.

No, its just the people who don't believe, they are filled with hate and others are made sad because they don't care and go out of there way to show it.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q2IN2Y
They follow a book that condemns those that do not believe, so how can they fully show love to a non-believer? If they follow a book that says that those who do not believe are agents of satan, how can they fully love them?

I'd like to address this, if you don't mind. I think it's important.

You've got the cart before the horse here.
The Bible doesn't condemn those who do not believe. Rather, the Bible teaches that those who do not believe are already condemned within themselves, because sin reigns in their lives and in their bodies.

The whole point of Scripture is that God sent Jesus Christ to deal with that fundamental problem - to resolve the issue of the disconnect between man and God - an issue that is caused by the fact that "all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God".

I've used this example before, and although it's not perfect, it does illustrate the point.
God, in Jesus Christ, is like a rescue team dropping a ladder down to a drowning man. Obviously in that kind of situation, you'd take the ladder, wouldn't you? And if you didn't, the natural and obvious consequence would be what? That you'd drown!

This is the picture the Bible paints. We're all drowning already. Hell isn't a destination intended for man. The Bible makes it clear that God created hell for the devil and his angels, not for us. However, "our sins have separated us from God", meaning that hell is now the default destination of man, unless something happens to change the status quo.

God, not content with that, reached down to solve that problem, by taking the cost of reconciliation upon Himself. "While we were still sinners, Christ died for us, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring us to God." The Bible says "no man can see God and live", and this is precisely because "we all have gone astray; each of us has turned to his own way", and sin reigns in us all... but Jesus Christ died to take the punishment that God's righteousness demanded (for God cannot contradict Himself - He must do all things in balance and in justice), so that we can be presented as justified before God; "the Lord has placed on Him the iniquity of us all".

Jesus Christ has already died in the sin of ALL the world... you and I BOTH included. Christians, atheists, hindus, muslims, EVERYONE. All that is required of us is reciprocation.

"Come unto me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest; for my yoke is easy, and my burden is light".

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock".

The God who took the punishment that His justice required, in order to bring us back to Him, waits, patiently, for us to return to Him. The fact is, we're all drowning. The only question that remains is whether or not you'll accept the rescue God has offered.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Um, the Original Question is hard to answer.

I used to be an atheist.

I didn't like myself very much back then.

I am a Christian, and have learned to like myself.

Seriously, I have a number of friends that are atheists. I never bring it up; but many of them do. It's almost like they have an issue with the fact that I have no issue if we don't share the same beliefs. I just try to let it slide. I try to live in an authentic way, and figure their questions are about my successes and failures to do so.

Short version:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I have no problems with atheists. I used to be one so I have a better understanding of where they're coming from than Christians do.

Regardless of what I believe, I will treat people with respect as long as they treat me with respect. If they want to be arse, then I'll just go my merry way and leave them alone.

I believe that everybody has a right to their beliefs, as long as they aren't imposing them on to people or using them to hurt people. It really doesn't matter to me.

Do what thou wilt at no harm to others shall be the whole of the law, is my motto.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Originally posted by chr0naut
except for those who have been saved, have a deep spiritual experience and have tasted forgiveness, then despite that, they then turn irreconcilably away

Would you like this "doomed" person?

Yes, but I'd be confused by their motivation.

I'll save time by quoting my experience from another thread.

The most interesting religious experience was when I was saved. I had been through years of systematic control and then two years with abuse added to the mix. When it finally ended, I had nothing. I was without the guidance of my masters. I was in a daze from the drugs I was handed on a daily basis. I went to see a preacher, as someone in my position had no friends, only handlers. I expressed that I saw no logic in God, and that I saw the world as full of people who wanted to use me. He said this is a point at which many seek spiritual guidance. He said we are most receptive to being saved at that point. I was taken aback by his honesty. On about my third visit to his office, he called another a preacher to come over. The other preacher introduced himself and asked if I was ready to accept Jesus. I was up for the experience, so I agreed to play along. He started talking and then put his hands on me. I went into a euphoric daze. I came out right as he finished talking to and touching me. I don't know what he said or did, but I was then a full on believing Christian. I was rescued from this trance by a girl. It later occurred to me that a hypnotist was called in to take advantage of my situation.

Prior, I had been to many churches out of curiosity and noticed what seemed to be a careful and subtle control system for the congregation. After being saved, I was right in the middle of the system. A girl rescued me from the system, but she let me figure out what had happened on my own. I came out with a much better understanding of how a person is indoctrinated and controlled by the religious. I now clearly see how our love for escapism can turn into an alternate reality. I could be embarrassed about the things that happened to me, but I'm not. The education was worth it.
edit on 23-8-2012 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join