It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth About Rape

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Something Charmed said that bothers me, and that she thinks that "being robbed" and "being raped" are comparable, does she think that if any girl could choose between losing her car or being raped, she would prefer the latter?

Then she says that she's waiting for the day where victimhood is no longer en vogue(so what she's saying is that smyleegirl was stupid for making this thread. In which case, how are girls supposed to "educate themselves?" I mean does she expect everyone in the world to be members of ATS, and even then, how are they going to educate themselves without threads like this?) What the hell? If anything, it's not emphasized enough, because I never even knew rape incidences are so high(especially the 30% for college students one).

I'm sorry, but I think Charmed needs to be raped because it's obvious that she is way too out-of-touch with reality riding that moral unicorn of hers.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Libertygal

Especially since, in some states, rape convictions can still get you the chair.

They cannot, since 2008:

Kennedy v. Louisiana, 554 U.S. ___ (2008) was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that held that the Eighth Amendment's Cruel and Unusual Punishment Clause did not permit a state to punish the crime of rape with the death penalty if the victim does not die and death was not intended, therefore if a person is convicted of rape he or she is not eligible for the death penalty according to the US supreme courts Ruling Kennedy v. Louisiana 554 U.S.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
reply to post by James1982

Hmmm, not dancing, I feel I have stated my position, and am loathed to repeat it for the Victim Deniers in this thread.

Women, ideally should be able to present themselves as they please with out the fear of being labelled as "inviting rape"

When those women who do cover themselves modestly also get raped, it is saying, that it is the rapist not the victim who has to address their behaviour

A rape will take place not always by a man in a bar who likes the look of you drunk or in a short skirt. In fact that is not the majority of instances.

Mostly it is by family members, spouses etc, people they know. The psychology of a victim being unable to remove them selves instantly from a violent situation has nothing to do with them being childish, it is a very deep and sad way for someone to exist. And takes a lot to reprogram how they feel about themselves and what they feel the deserve/don't deserve.

Is that clear enough?

Alright, I'm done with you, and this thread. You are evidently mentally incapable of reading comprehension. I will NOT continue to have you put words in my mouth and label or accuse me of something I'm not. It shows an extreme level of immaturity on your part and there is no point in having a discussion with someone exhibiting such traits.

"Victim Deniers"
"inviting rape"

What a load of bull. Not a single thing you have said in ANY of your replies to me is relevant or applies to ANYTHING I have said in the least. I mean seriously, read your post again. Then read mine. Is there ANY connection at all? What compelled you to write the replies to me that you did, because they have absolutely nothing to do with my posts. It's as if you are confusing someone elses posts for mine. Its utterly ridiculous.

I'm not going to defend myself to you, because I don't have to, seeing as I do not espouse ANYTHING you are taking issue with. As I said, it's as if you are confusing someone elses posts for mine. Your replies to me are a non sequitur I think my opinions are perfectly clear to EVERYONE in this thread except for you, for some reason you are incapable of absorbing the meaning in my words.

So good night, have fun playing with straw!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

hey i totally agree with everything in you OP but it made me start thinking about are history, so what is thoughts on the history of rape, in the things ive read, in are known history when we had swords and spears and rode horses and conquerors ran rampet, it was expected that the winner of a battle or a siege would rape the losers women, and i think this did have to do with sex(large armys of men traveling long distances without seeing a women probably left a alot of men in need of release) also i think it may have been a psychological warfare tactic as well. i also think that maybe in the back of these mens minds knew that they wouldn't make it home and wanted to spreed there seed. They also believed they were the Superior race and\or nation (which is why they were conquering) so to kill the men and rape the women meant there seed would make stronger better men, almost like eugenics, or survival of the fittest. do you think maybe this midset has carried over to the civilized world or are we now breeding pyhcos that have no honor or morals?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by James1982

You approached me, I answered.

Gnite, dont let the bed bugs bite, especially if you are lying on that darn straw mattress

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   
there are two types of humans I could kill with my bare hands. Literally rip their heads of their body. Rapists and animal abusers.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
The problem is this, young single women looking for a relationship dress to attract. However they naturally are selective as to whom they would like as a potential partner. A rejected male with his sense of failure as a man, can often take advantage of the way the woman is dressed to say 'well she is asking for it ' to enforce his desires by superior physical strength at the same time humiliate the woman as an act of revenge.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I won't interject on many things being argued about rape except one thing:

I am a male in my 20s. I was sexually molested by an adult male (whom I knew and trusted) as a child. I remember it vividly. That said, I don't give a hoot anymore! I can obviously only speak for myself, but I felt like someone with experience should comment that no, rape doesn't always hang over your shoulder. I thought long and hard about it as a child up into my teen years, and did go through far too much therapy, but I - with much help from my family and therapists - realized it was in the past. Because I got over it, I don't see why anyone can't get over it with time, support, and proper emotional control. So if anyone who has been a victim or survivor reads this post, know that you can get past it...just keep trying!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Maslo

Especially since, in some states, rape convictions can still get you the chair.

They cannot, since 2008:

Kennedy v. Louisiana, 554 U.S. ___ (2008) was a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States that held that the Eighth Amendment's Cruel and Unusual Punishment Clause did not permit a state to punish the crime of rape with the death penalty if the victim does not die and death was not intended, therefore if a person is convicted of rape he or she is not eligible for the death penalty according to the US supreme courts Ruling Kennedy v. Louisiana 554 U.S.

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes, they can. I found what I was looking for.
www.law.cornell.edu...

Congress or any state legislature may prescribe the death penalty, also known as capital punishment, for murder and other capital crimes. The Supreme Court has ruled that the death penalty is not a per se violation of the Eighth Amendment's ban on cruel and unusual punishment, but the Eighth Amendment does shape certain procedural aspects regarding when a jury may use the death penalty and how it must be carried out. Because of the Fourteenth Amendment's Due Process Clause, the Eighth Amendment applies against the states, as well as the federal government.

Then someone has some 'splainin' to do...

law.justia.com...

2010 Georgia Code
TITLE 17 - CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
CHAPTER 10 - SENTENCE AND PUNISHMENT
ARTICLE 2 - DEATH PENALTY GENERALLY
§ 17-10-30 - Procedure for imposition of death penalty generally

O.C.G.A. 17-10-30 (2010)
17-10-30. Procedure for imposition of death penalty generally

(a) The death penalty may be imposed for the offenses of aircraft hijacking or treason in any case.

(b) In all cases of other offenses for which the death penalty may be authorized, the judge shall consider, or he shall include in his instructions to the jury for it to consider, any mitigating circumstances or aggravating circumstances otherwise authorized by law and any of the following statutory aggravating circumstances which may be supported by the evidence:

(1) The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was committed by a person with a prior record of conviction for a capital felony;

(2) The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was committed while the offender was engaged in the commission of another capital felony or aggravated battery, or the offense of murder was committed while the offender was engaged in the commission of burglary or arson in the first degree;

(snip)

(7) The offense of murder, rape, armed robbery, or kidnapping was outrageously or wantonly vile, horrible, or inhuman in that it involved torture, depravity of mind, or an aggravated battery to the victim;

(snip)

(11) The offense of murder, rape, or kidnapping was committed by a person previously convicted of rape, aggravated sodomy, aggravated child molestation, or aggravated sexual battery.

www.jdsupra.com...

Except in cases of treason or aircraft hijacking, unless at least one of the statutory aggravating circumstances enumerated in subsection (b) of this Code section is so found, the death penalty shall not be imposed.

Do forgive me if I am not reading this correctly, but I believe at least 5 states right now have the death penalty for rape, obviously with mitigating circumstances, as outlined above. Some of them for rape for a child under 12, some of them for repeat offenders, but a death penalty, nonetheless.

Do note also, out of the links above, Georgia only lists aggrivating circumstances, and not mitigating circumstances.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Libertygal because: ETA first link with quote. I think 5 states currently have inmates on death row for rape with aggrivating factors.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Well done Smylee

No means No simples and any man/woman who cant understand that is an animal infact less than an animal
but that is just my uneducated /inexperienced opinion
well done for sharing

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

Nope, didn't really answer anything. Nothing in that post related to anything I posted or any questions I proposed.

It's a pretty simple question, really. Should women be told they are helpless and can't do anything about it, or told they are strong and able to defend themselves and lower their chance of something bad happening? I have no idea why you keep dancing around answering it, it's not some trick question or something.

Ok, I'll bite:

No person should EVER be told that he/she is helpless. Instead, people should always be reminded of their strength... physical, mental, spiritual. But to tell someone they are physically strong enough to fend off a vicious, unexpected attack-- without providing that person specific skills/knowledge/training-- seems rather reckless and irresponsible, IMHO. (Like convincing someone they will survive skydiving, while giving no thought to whether they have the skills/knowledge/training to do just that.)

I believe self-defense training could potentially lower the chance of something bad happening, with a stranger anyway. No guarantees, but certainly recommended.

It's the issue of the 'known assailant' that makes this question close to irrelevant. The dynamic of a trusting relationship, followed by an instantaneous shattering of that trust, must surely attack a person's inner strength at that very moment, with a jolt so bewildering, that what was held as solid truth (i.e.: this person would never hurt me) is polar opposite... AND there's a physical attack in the works-- while the psyche is still reeling with this huge hit to its core truths. I mean, all bets are off, depending on the level of trust and belief previously invested in that person. God bless anyone faced with that situation- past, present or future.

I think you are a guy? So, say your best friend pulls a gun on you for no reason. Can you imagine the confusion and betrayal you'd feel? The jolt to your system? Any belief you had in yourself, about your ability to defend yourself would surely get muddled up with the complete shattering of your trust in that person, bringing into question your trust of many people, so threatening a crucial part of your reality. The horrendous physical part of rape is surely not anything close to the psychological blow. That's why the question of "if they believe they can defend themselves" matters not so much. Because there is no self-defense against shattered trust, even if the rape itself is thwarted. The damage is still done.

I have never been raped, but I believe I understand why your question was hurtful to her. I also believe you did not mean for that to be so.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
As a Father of a seventeen year old daughter who is starting to go out with friends to parties and such, it worries me no end that she could be subject to such a situation.
I was brought up to respect women having 2 sisters and I was told point of fact by my Father that No meant No.
Any act that forces one persons will on another person against their wishes is a crime in my view and I see Rape as the worst of these crimes.
I am saddened that you had to endure this criminal act, and even though you have gotten on with your life it obviously has had a major effect even if it has made you stronger.
Kudos's for the strength to bring this out in the open.
I agree with everything you have said except Rape to the perpetrator is Sex related,as another poster put it they could force there will in many other ways if it wasn't sex they wanted.
Great Post.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vedderman
I won't interject on many things being argued about rape except one thing:

I am a male in my 20s. I was sexually molested by an adult male (whom I knew and trusted) as a child. I remember it vividly. That said, I don't give a hoot anymore! I can obviously only speak for myself, but I felt like someone with experience should comment that no, rape doesn't always hang over your shoulder. I thought long and hard about it as a child up into my teen years, and did go through far too much therapy, but I - with much help from my family and therapists - realized it was in the past. Because I got over it, I don't see why anyone can't get over it with time, support, and proper emotional control. So if anyone who has been a victim or survivor reads this post, know that you can get past it...just keep trying!

You are strong and blessed to have a supportive family that supported you while you overcame. That's a good thing for you! You did what was best for you, and put it in the past. Bravo for you! Some people are able to do this and to move on.

Unfortunately, not all circumstances are the same, as has been pointed out in this thread. Sadly it would be nice to wave a magic wand and say, "Just get over it, I did!". I wish it would work, as I have seen so many suffer.

It is terrible to feel that sense of vulnerability when you suddenly find yourself yourself in an unwitting circumstance, walking in a dark parking lot after staying late for a work project, alone, and to have those memories of a violent rape come flooding back.

What is good for one person may not work for another, it's all not just so easy, though we can wish it were.

For all of those that have posted their stories, there are dozens more that have not. Having been through what you have, one would think you would be more empathic to those perhaps in different circumstances who cannot just get over it. For those people, the suffering is unwanted, the re-living is painful, and overcoming fears is a lifelong struggle.

For whatever reason, you didn't possess certain of these factors, and it is not up to anyone to question why, but please do try to understand that for others in different circumstances, it just may not be so easy.

To each his own, and to each, in his own time.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

So on to the myths concerning rape. This is a list compiled by the University of Minnesota Duluth, please visit this link to read more. Website

Myth 1: Rape is sex.
Fact: Rape is experienced by the victims as an act of violence. It is a life-threatening experience. One out of every eight adult women has been a victim of forcible rape. Gratification comes from gaining power and control and discharging anger. This gratification is only temporary, so the rapist seeks another victim.

Rape IS about sex. It's nothing to do with 'power' - obviously a rapist USES power in order to rape, but it's not about 'power' any more than robbing a bank is about 'power' - the bank robber robs a bank to get MONEY, the rapist rapes to get SEX, as simple as that. Why are you perpetuating this myth that rape is about 'power'? Of course rapists will say that it's about 'power' because it makes them look less bad than if they say 'I'm a sexual pervert and I want to rape women for SEX'.

Myth 3: Rapists are non-white. Rapists are lower class. Rapists are "Criminal types".

Fact: Rapists that fit the myth are more likely to be prosecuted but a rapist can be anyone: doctor, policeman, clergyman, social worker or corporate president.

Blacks are FAR more likely to be rapists than whites. That is a statistical FACT. You are denying women the ability to protect themselves when you LIE about things like this.

Myth 4: Men can't be raped.

Fact: There were approximately 20,000 sexual assaults of males ages 12 and over in the United States in 1991.

*A lot of people ridicule this, stating that men have to be aroused in order to have sex. Not so. And the sooner we realize that men can be victimized, the better.

Are you serious? You're saying that men DON'T have to be aroused in order to have sex? Obviously you aren't a man. Oh - I see... You're trying to make out that GAYS don't rape, is that it? Yet more lies and insanity. One third of the victims of paedophiles are BOYS, yet only one percent of the male population is 'gay'. How do you explain that? I can explain it - gays are FAR more likely to be paedophiles than heterosexuals - according to the FACTS.

Who has ever denied that BOYS are raped by gay paedophiles? Notice your figures say "males aged TWELVE and over". Last time I looked, a 12 year old wasn't a MAN, why are you deliberately trying to hide the rapes of CHILDREN with those of adults?

Myth 7: Sexual assault usually occurs between strangers.

Fact: Over 70% of rape victims know their attackers.

*I knew my attacker. He was a trusted friend.

*snip*Clue: the ones who aren't violent and aggressive aren't capable of rape. I'm incapable of rape. I couldn't get an erection if I was threatening somebody - that's a completely unnatural state. Only neurotic men are capable of being 'turned on' when somebody else is being hurt. You SHOULD be able to recognise such men, especially if you're 'friends' with them.

Mod Note: ALL MEMBERS: We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

edit on 21-8-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Thank goodness you are strong enough to to be a smyleegrl after being treated so horribly.

Thank you for your honesty and the relevance of the topics you post.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Then someone has some 'splainin' to do...

I am no legal expert, but I think your link enumerates aggravating circumstances that can lead to death penalty. So it is talking about murder aggravated by rape, for example. Not rape alone.

any of the following statutory aggravating circumstances which may be supported by the evidence:

Or maybe it is a case of an invalidated law remaining on the books, but it cannot be enforced?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I could not agree more with your views. well said and well done for fighting and surviving.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by packoftwenty

*I knew my attacker. He was a trusted friend.

*snip*Clue: the ones who aren't violent and aggressive aren't capable of rape. I'm incapable of rape. I couldn't get an erection if I was threatening somebody - that's a completely unnatural state. Only neurotic men are capable of being 'turned on' when somebody else is being hurt. You SHOULD be able to recognise such men, especially if you're 'friends' with them.

How DARE you! That was not only insensitive to say to Smylee, but it is absolutely ignorant. Do you know how many sexual abuse/rape victims already KNOW their attackers?

When it comes to choosing friends, lovers, or mates, we don't always know what that person is capable of. Sometimes, we think we know someone really well, until they do the unthinkable. I knew my husband for SIX YEARS who never had a history of domestic violence, until stress caused him to start beating me. I thought I picked the right one. You CAN NOT ALWAYS know these things. Many married women are victims of rape perpetrated by their HUSBANDS.

Many children who are sexually abused are molested by family or friends of family. PLEASE educate yourself before you go spouting off that type of ignorance here.

Mod edit: removed part of quote removed by staff..

edit on 21-8-2012 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by kudegras
As a Father of a seventeen year old daughter who is starting to go out with friends to parties and such, it worries me no end that she could be subject to such a situation.
I was brought up to respect women having 2 sisters and I was told point of fact by my Father that No meant No.
Any act that forces one persons will on another person against their wishes is a crime in my view and I see Rape as the worst of these crimes.

I understand how you feel, as I will be walking that path in a few short years myself. The problem is that, some of these perps are very good at portraying themselves as the nice guy. They are charismatic and friendly, and have a way of gaining trust. They can be very convincing, especially to a young girl who is un-experienced with choosing male partners and friends. The best we can do as parents is be very involved in our children's lives, and teach them what to watch out for.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join