It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing satan painting in courthouse

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
reply to post by BuzzCory

Thanks for your very succinct; personal interpretation. Admittedly, I am curious as to how your interpretation would change, if I suggested that the female in the figure might be a representation of Justice, given what you have already said? My curiosity has been peaked because, my personal interpretation is not all that dissimilar to yours, until I added Justice as the intended personification of the female...but it adds a certain je ne sais quoi when I add my conceptional ideas of Justice to the female character. Please take your time if you care to look from that angle and reinterpret. I'll add mine some time tomorrow if you're curious for another interpretation.

Trying out the idea of the woman as Justice, I can see her possibly being portrayed as being ideally an impersonal concept, as opposed to the original idea of "blind Justice" (the blindfold has become a mask). The artist may be suggesting that Justice take human nature more into account, rather than serving the "ideal world" model that only seems to apply inside a courtroom, & not in the real world.
She is a feature of our natural inclination to want to see evil punished. As such, she is being schooled by Pan, who is careful to ward off malevolent influences with the "horns" gesture, suggesting an element of fallibility (represented here by superstition) in following an approach to Justice based strictly on human nature.

In this respect, she is being held in check against any possible excessively violent actions (kept relatively humane) by the figure to our right, representing the laws of Society, again with the steadying hand on her shoulder. This could suggest the addition of intellectual consideration, to be balanced against the raw emotional reactions to evil (or crime).

This is as far as I can get with that concept, perhaps due to the lateness of the hour, or maybe because this, for me, is more of an intellectual overlay than it is something that "clicks" into place for me personally. It also doesn't take into account the rest of the symbolism, as I either can't relate it to Justice per se, or maybe because I can't get past my original mindset.

I would very much appreciate reading your interpretation of this painting on a personal level, & also feel that another interpretation can only enrich this thread further. I'm looking forward to reading your next post.
edit on 8/23/12 by BuzzCory because: added additional thought

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Slave NO MORE

Not really sure what all the fuss is about, all I can see is a boob.

But then, I am just a man...

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
After much introspection on this picture; I have to apologize for suggesting the female character being justice. The reasoning was a quick assumption based on where the picture hangs (court house) and the dichotomy of two figures that can be taken as good and evil. After thorough analysis of all the involved elements, I believe the female figure is actually meant to be Venus, due to the amount of Masonic imagery in this painting.

So instead of giving a personal interpretation; I feel it best to inform other readers of the symbolism of many things contained in the painting, so that they may draw from their own subconscious as to what the paintings meaning is, in a more personal way.

(Striped Pants) The history of stripes arises from their being strangely identified in medieval western mysticism with the mark of the outcast. As such, stripes represent everyone from people of other religions to the mentally ill, in short, all those excluded from, or cast out of, society. Taking on a more prominent role in 12th and 13th century folk literature and palace fiction, stripes became identified with groups such as treacherous knights, feudal despots, adulterous wives, disobedient children, disloyal brothers, cruel dwarfs and greedy knaves and housemaids, who were almost always represented in, or forced to wear, striped garments. The black and yellow pattern of stripes are often associated with bees or wasps.

(Purple silk Robe) Symbolizes royalty, the earliest were made of Sea Silk, and dyed purple from harvesting mollusks to produce the ink. Gathering the materials to make clothing and robes of these materials were tedious and difficult, and became associated with royalty because a commoner simply could not afford it.

(Top Hats) In Freemasonry, top hats are often associated with the position of Worshipful Master as they are the only member allowed the privilege to wear one. The red poppy is also known as the remembrance poppy; and usually associated with, Remembrance Day (also known as Poppy Day or Armistice Day) is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth countries since the end of World War I to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty. It is also important to note that a large red silk poppy is a common decoration on Easter hats.

(Black and white checkered tile) Is an old symbol of the Order. It is met with in the earliest rituals of the last century. It is classed among the ornaments of the lodge along with the indented tessel and the blazing star. Its partly-colored stones of black and white have been readily and appropriately interpreted as symbols of the evil and good of human life.

(Snow White and Dwarfs) The seven dwarfs represent the seven planes of consciousness that ancient philosophers believed to exist in the universe as well as inside each person. These planes correspond to the physical realm (body, sensations, emotions and concrete mind) and spiritual realm (pure mind, intuition, will). It is of interest that two are leaning in looking at the goats finger, which is also phallic in relation to proximity. Snow white has red hair; in Dutch myth people with red hair bring bad luck. It might also help to think the was a step child to the queen, perhaps you've heard the phrase "red headed step child".

(Collars) Detachable Collars were usually worn by upperclass men and boys. The collar was supremely uncomfortable, and often used to punish boys who had disobeyed their parents. A lockable strap and pin could be inserted in tom certain types of collar, which could then be tightened in order to prevent the removal of the collar.

(Clown Face)The white face character-type is often serious, all-knowing (even if not particularly smart), bossy and cocky. He is the ultimate authority figure. He serves the role of "straight-man" and sets up situations that can be turned funny.

(Goat man) Pan's name (Πάν) is the Greek word for "all" Pan's goat image recalls conventional faun depictions of Satan. Although Christian use of Plutarch's story is of long standing, English historian Ronald Hutton argues that this specific association is modern and derives from Pan's popularity in Victorian and Edwardian neopaganism. Medieval and early modern images of Satan tend, by contrast, to show generic semi-human monsters with horns, wings and clawed feet.

(Venus) hints at a link with ancient mother/goddess/fertility worship including the worship of her consort, the Horned God. The sign of the horns is "I Love You" in sign language no thumb used, is in this version also this is a gesture in Buddhism to cast out demons. Venus wears what appears to be a sleeping mask that is composed of a midnight blue with stars, but has holes taken to represent not being blinded by the darkness.

(Triangle beneath collar) Appears to make a right triangle with a separate color distinction; appearing to be the all seeing eye.

So to anyone interested, what are your thoughts on how all of this ties together?
edit on 24-8-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: sp

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Yes Pan did existed as well as ALL of the ancient Greek and Egyptian gods!

posted on Aug, 31 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Well i do know it personally. For example, miracles, this is plural, have happened in my life as a result of my prayers! Miracles were happening, are happening and will always happen. and if you don't believe that then think about the prophecies that are already happening! You still think i don't know it? Think about the saints of the Orthodox Church and their holy lives. Can you become like them? No. What was the reason they became what they became? GOD! Still i don't know it?

posted on Sep, 1 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by JesusChristwins

You should study noetics sometime. That's what prayers are.

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join