It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Augusta National Golf Club adds first female members

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I have been a avid fan of Golf since my teens, and the most beautiful course and most awaited tournament for me has always been the Masters, it has always represented the beauty of spring and signified the time to get the garden growing. The tournament isn't bad either.

However, the private club has always had issues with public perception, be it the exclusion of black members, first black member was admitted in 1990, or the most recent issue about allowing women as members.

That is now history as they announced that two women will be admitted into the club..

My wife always told me that golf meant "Gentlemen Only, Ladies Forbidden" I never tried to track down if that was true or not but it seems that the folks at Augusta have finally arrived in the 21st century..

Better late than never.

www.latimes.com

For the first time in its 80-year history, Augusta National Golf Club has female members.

The home of the Masters, under increasing criticism the last decade because of its all-male membership, invited former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and South Carolina financier Darla Moore to become the first women in green jackets when the club opens for a new season in October.

Both women accepted.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
So, why is it ok for every group of people to have their own club, except white males? Are you going to call for all women's gyms to allow males?

articles.latimes.com...

Women who want to tone their bodies without men looking on can now sweat in peace, thanks to a state law signed by the governor. Not everyone is hailing it as a victory for women, though. The law is opposed by an unlikely coalition of men rebuffed by all-women health clubs, as well as the National Organization for Women. Gov. Paul Cellucci and backers of the law, which also legalizes all-male health clubs, argue that many women prefer to exercise in private, particularly if they have been physically abused or have had mastectomies.

Sooooo what if men want to play golf without having to deal with women?
edit on 20-8-2012 by PvtHudson because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by PvtHudson

Eh, go to another gym??

And second part, make sure all your playing partners have the requisite equipment down the front of their pants before you tee off. Easy!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by cahlmac

Eh, go to another gym??

You can't be serious? Ok now genius, use that logic the other way around.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I say any male that wants to join an all female gym should go for it!

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by amrith777

I say any male that wants to join an all female gym should go for it!

They cant though, that's the point.

top topics

join