It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Observing My Internet Activity..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I agree, id make so much more money if people didnt have them. Out of 1,000,000 views only say 100,000 dont use ad blockers. And out of that only say 50,000 click the ads.

On topic: Its google not ATS targeting the ads

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by DocHolidaze
reply to post by Sinny

do you have firefox? if you do use tje add ons ghostry and noscript and you should not have anybody else tracking you unless u allow it, i think the is a add on called adblock but not sure i wouid check it out.

Blocking _javascript would render a lot of sites useless though, a lot of sites no longer cater for people without JS.

Also, I'm fairly sure things like this are based on your IP, you can't block a site getting your IP, it's server sided and as easy as:

$IP = $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'];
edit on 20-8-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
ixquick is awesome for getting out of the google rut. greeneyedleo, you are completely right, this is free and awesome being able to use this site. therefore, ads run by the company should be seen as intended by the owners. just dont click on em if you don't like em right maam?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I use duckduckgo.com for most searches. It is one of many search engines that don't track. Works fine for me. I have no idea how the ads I see on this site are chosen for me but they never reflect my search history.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Thanks for the responses guys, I shouldn't have said "ATS", as Its more technical than that, but it was just a quick post before I left work..

I do use fire fox, and collision and ghostery, what they show is interesting and a wee bit worrying lol..

So these "ad" guys, do they just monitor "sellable" things, or everything we click?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.

I didn't even see the guys post, but the Mods response to it I would assume does exactly what the Mod was saying he was doing.

Simple deduction would explain everything that guy was suggesting...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
BEHOLD!

The power of the almighty advertising dollar!

You can't go anywhere without seeing an advertisement.

You want to see a beautiful landscape?

You can only recreate it digitally or you'll be seeing McDonalds or Chevron signs so tall in the sky.

This is why I can't stand advertisers.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
reply to post by Sinny

I believe the ads are mainly provided by Google, and if you're using Google to search, it's logging all your history. Even if not these specifics, though, there are so many trackers, so much sharing, so many ad networks...you may as well get used to it unless you're ready to make changes.

Please allow me to recommend Ixquick or StartPage for your searching needs. They're by the same company, with Ixquick being a crawler that posts top results from most major engines, and StartPage being a Google search directly.

Neither logs your IPs, saves search history, or shares search records as far as I'm aware. Both also offer free (limited) proxy viewing of search results, as well.

Take care.

I too use ixquick.com... as my default search engine.
Please allow me to recommend this extension for Firefox:
Google Privacy

And here is one for you Facebook people:
Facebook Disconnect

For all around "No Tracking" of your Internet habits, install this one:
Do Not Track Plus

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

reply to post by Sinny

I believe the ads are mainly provided by Google, and if you're using Google to search, it's logging all your history. Even if not these specifics, though, there are so many trackers, so much sharing, so many ad networks...you may as well get used to it unless you're ready to make changes.

Please allow me to recommend Ixquick or StartPage for your searching needs. They're by the same company, with Ixquick being a crawler that posts top results from most major engines, and StartPage being a Google search directly.

Neither logs your IPs, saves search history, or shares search records as far as I'm aware. Both also offer free (limited) proxy viewing of search results, as well.

Take care.

Google Privacy

Facebook Disconnect

Do Not Track Plus

I concur.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You should just google a bunch of things that you know are naughty and see if they can find the add for that!

Plus I'm sure a couple of geeks somewhere will get a good chuckle.
These online adds are just car salesmen is how I look at it.
As long as you do not step on their lot and ignore them, you are safe.
However, walk onto their lot and start talking, you may be driving home a brand new car and riding an inflated payment.

Don't be scared of em, pitty them, they are the outstretched corporate hand saying please sir/ma'am.

Cue the sarah sarah mcglaughlin music and sad faced puppies and kids.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
collusion
www.mozilla.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Yea!!! She's back.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
Yea!!! She's back.

and with a vengeance

I have in a discreet manner and ever so gently switched into viewer only mode

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny
Thanks for the responses guys, I shouldn't have said "ATS", as Its more technical than that, but it was just a quick post before I left work..

I do use fire fox, and collision and ghostery, what they show is interesting and a wee bit worrying lol..

So these "ad" guys, do they just monitor "sellable" things, or everything we click?

offtopic

Hey whats the beer your drinking called ? ...common share and share alike,

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

Fosters - Gooday Mate!!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

reply to post by Sinny

Take care.

Google Privacy

Facebook Disconnect

Do Not Track Plus

Thanks Auto

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Just in case you don't know what I mean, this is it: www.roadkilltshirts.com...

Now THAT'S an ad.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Sinny, I know, it drives me demented! It's actually quite dangerous, my fella can see what I've been looking at and especially what I've been shopping for....
There's nowhere to hide
:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by paradisepurple

I think somebody needs shoppers Anonymous
lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join