It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Observing My Internet Activity..

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
1 Hour ago I was Googling flights from Brum to Dublin.

Right now ATS are advertising the same site and exact page I was viewing, this happens often...

I'd just like to know a little more about the methods used to observe my internet usage, and how to translate that into ads you know I want.

I only ask because, say, if I googled... How to make a pipe bomb, would you know that to?

Or... Where can I get wheat free food.. etc etc..

What seperates what you observe on my end, and what you do not?

Just out of curiosity, because I might have to start protecting my web searches.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
post removed for serious violation of ATS Terms & Conditions

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Please do not tell people how to violate ATS TERMS & CONDITIONS OF USE

20b) Ad Blockers: As the Websites are provided as a free service, in part through the income of our advertising, you agree not to use "ad-blocking" software or similar built-in web browser options designed to obfuscate or block online advertising while using the Websites.
edit on August 20th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I believe the ads are mainly provided by Google, and if you're using Google to search, it's logging all your history. Even if not these specifics, though, there are so many trackers, so much sharing, so many ad networks...you may as well get used to it unless you're ready to make changes.

Please allow me to recommend Ixquick or StartPage for your searching needs. They're by the same company, with Ixquick being a crawler that posts top results from most major engines, and StartPage being a Google search directly.

Neither logs your IPs, saves search history, or shares search records as far as I'm aware. Both also offer free (limited) proxy viewing of search results, as well.

Take care.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I know... It's kind of creepy.
I am going to get a Vespa and so I did a LOT of research on the Internet. Now, nearly every site I open has the same ad for the cheap Chinese-made scooters. Ugh! I get sick of seeing the same picture over and over.

Thanks, Praetorius. You're a gem!

edit on 8/20/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

I don't think it's ATS, per say, but their advertisers who use Google search tools. You'll keep getting ads for things, even after you've made your purchase.

I did a little thread about it myself here. www.abovetopsecret.com...

This weekend I singed up for a craft show, and was shopping for a pop up canopy. Found one and ordered it. This morning on ATS, all kinds of ads for canopies! LOL How many canopies do they (Google) think I need?

edit on 20-8-2012 by windword because: think

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Editing my original post to prevent angering the mods =) my apologies.. anyway ATS doesn't .. their advertising network does..

Personally I don't mind it all that much, if I'm going to have ads displayed.. it's better that they are relevant to me.. it's harmless..

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

nice save G.E.L.

lets all work hard to keep ATS Free for us..

i'm happy here...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
wouldnt keeping your cookies cleared help???

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Telling people to use In-Private Browsing and/or Incognito mode is violating your terms of service how? All those modes do is, - Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close all open incognito windows. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.. So..?

Not meaning to stir up trouble, just curious.
edit on 20-8-2012 by th3onetruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Not working for me. I tried to get that hot brunette with the red t-shirt back. So I Googled t-shirts. No luck damn it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Sinny

Everyone here is right in saying ATS isn't tracking anything but the audit trail from activity logs on the server. That isn't telling them anything like your talking about.

The almighty Google is tracking..and that is from almost every single site in the world now. Heck..I use Google services on both my websites. Why not? They do tracking and supply services it would cost any webmaster a bloody fortune to have otherwise, and it's free from them. Well... Kinda free... You found the price.

Look at it this way.. it could be worse! I did a research bit for a thread way back when I first got here that related to drug paraphernalia. Again, it wasn't ATS...it was Google that saw what my IP was off looking at and tailored their ads accordingly. (sigh) I was seeing ads on my banner and sidebars for WEEKS for bongs and pot pipes. THAT was interesting to explain a couple times......... lol

All Hail Google.. Good Google... (makes offering to the great Google God so he may be pleased with the lowly Wrabbit) lol... They own everything anymore.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by th3onetruth

Telling people to use In-Private Browsing and/or Incognito mode is violating your terms of service how? All those modes do is, - Pages you view in this window won't appear in your browser history or search history, and they won't leave other traces, like cookies, on your computer after you close all open incognito windows. Any files you download or bookmarks you create will be preserved, however.. So..?

Using Ad-blockers here is against T&C, as noted above.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
It's Google Adsense and entirely Google's side.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Using Ad-blockers here is against T&C, as noted above.

Ad-blockers should be got rid of completely.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

I could have sworn miniatus had said just use incognito mode or private in-browsing mode, for Firefox, I didn't see him say anything about ad-blockers. So is Incognito mode is fine, and similar private browsing tools?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I could have sworn miniatus had said just use incognito mode or private in-browsing mode, for Firefox, I didn't see him say anything about ad-blockers. So is Incognito mode is fine, and similar private browsing tools?

All incognito mode does is prevent sites being added to your browsing history and clears cookies saved in that session.
edit on 20-8-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

yea that and cookies and any other traces, well supposedly lol. But I got it, no ad-blocker

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
You know when we merely complained about cookies and failed to raise a fuss big enough to get them stopped?
That was when we gave tacit permission for them to worm their way into our very lives.
Get used to it. Everybody wanted that to happen...except us peons.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
You know when we merely complained about cookies and failed to raise a fuss big enough to get them stopped?
That was when we gave tacit permission for them to worm their way into our very lives.
Get used to it. Everybody wanted that to happen...except us peons.

Most cookies are for the user's benefit, without them you would have to log in every time you visit a site.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join