The Panic Over Fukushima

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chrisfishenstein
reply to post by JacKatMtn

So it went from 1,000 times more than normal to this?? If the radiation is "safe" now, where did it all go??

Does radiation just go "up and out"?? I am no professional on radiation either, but how does it go from insanely high levels to this??

I can think of 1 thing.....MONEY!! Someone is stretching the truth to get nuclear reactors back to running operation for money of some sort!! Just like Anne Coulter when this whole incident happened......Telling people the radiation is not harmful!!

COME ON!!

The radiation process 'takes away' some of the radioactive material and releases it as radiation, mutating the substance to another form. Generally, this next form has much lower radioactivity.

The higher the radioactivity, the faster it will transform and so much of the initial radioactivity will dissipate quickly.

The problem is usually actually with the lower radioactive products which enter the food chain, get ingested and stay there for a long time, causing damage to cell replication and usually leading to cancer.

Radon, being a very light noble gas (ie: it doesn't bind to things chemically) is not a persistent poison like these other nuclear byproducts and so does not stay in the body for ages. The time for it to cause any damage is brief and therefore it is less of a problem.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

Radon gas is generally perceived only as a danger where it can accumulate, i,e: in enclosed spaces. In the outdoors it dissipates rapidly, reducing the human dosage received.

It is these enclosed spaces with radon concentrations higher than the rating that are to be evacuated. This is also likely to indicate even higher radon concentrations over time (if the area is not ventilated). The radon concentration level is set so that action can be taken before it poses a problem to health.

In open/outdoor spaces the radon concentration is mostly inescapable and is unlikely to rise higher than the measured figure and cause a problem.
edit on 20/8/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

That is why there is radon testing in our basements.
Wonder if they do that any where else on the globe?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dreine

Inhabitants of Pripyat, especially the elderly say the same thing. That living in the area around the plant has made them feel fit, active and healthy.
Strange? I imagine radiation in smaller amounts probably does excite cells, but to much would fry them.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I'd say they need to get their heads out of the sand and look for ways to turn this bad thing into a good thing.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:17 PM
link   

How about a simple test?

The author of the article spends one week in Denver and is examined by medical personnel. Then he spends a week frolicking amongst the ruins of the reactor and is then again examined by medical personnel.

If it's all cool, what's the difference?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
I read that article and its basically a coverup fluff piece. If you want serious information, go to meltdowndanger.com, or fairewinds.com, or enenews.com for more genuine looks at what's going on over there, including media coverups and downplaying the situation. It is FAR worse than Cherynobl already and no end in site. Building 4 is in extremely unstable condition and is full of rods and waste, basically right next to the ocean. The salmon coming in from Alaska are showing up to 56 percent with extra radiation. Don't forget who owns what media. GE, the makers of the Nuke Plants in Japan, own NBC and its news affiliates, for example. This is serious stuff. Look through the archives and you will see how the Japanese government has been in collusion with their nuke industry, just as ours is with our own industry. They squash and censor any bad news.
When China has a dust storm, we see it in the Western U.S. Japan is a bit closer to us than China, and is still spewing radiation, as there has been no cover put into place, no removal of the rods and waste, and the cooling water leaks right into the ocean. Nothing to worry about? FAR From It! Its just that our government would prefer we stay uneducated about this!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by chr0naut

Radon gas is generally perceived only as a danger where it can accumulate, i,e: in enclosed spaces. In the outdoors it dissipates rapidly, reducing the human dosage received.

It is these enclosed spaces with radon concentrations higher than the rating that are to be evacuated. This is also likely to indicate even higher radon concentrations over time (if the area is not ventilated). The radon concentration level is set so that action can be taken before it poses a problem to health.

In open/outdoor spaces the radon concentration is mostly inescapable and is unlikely to rise higher than the measured figure and cause a problem.

That is why there is radon testing in our basements.
Wonder if they do that any where else on the globe?

Yes, it is usually done as a matter of course in areas where there is a higher ground emission of Radon.

As I am from New Zealand, which is largely new geologically and is volcanic, I would have expected higher ground emission of Radon but due to the low Uranium content of the soil, such is not the case. New Zealand does not have any hot spots for Radon and the natural levels are quite low.

The home that I designed is built on a concrete slab (no underfloor ventilation) and very highly insulated, so Radon accumulation was of concern. Fortunately, I can open large bi-fold doors periodically and refresh the whole house's air in seconds and, coupled with the low natural occurrence, I feel fairly safe.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
TEPCO Officials need to die of old age....staring at concrete walls...in a very dark and dank prison.

Wouldn't it be easier and faster if they just died from their own radiation exposure? It may also be more painful that way too

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Having actually lived and worked in the area of the reactor before and after the meltdown, I do believe that the nuke plant is secure and poses no more a threat of radiation then a nice sunny day in San Diego. Like I said in a previous post, just because you see a shadow does not mean there is a conspiracy lurking in it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SepticSceptic
Having actually lived and worked in the area of the reactor before and after the meltdown, I do believe that the nuke plant is secure and poses no more a threat of radiation then a nice sunny day in San Diego. Like I said in a previous post, just because you see a shadow does not mean there is a conspiracy lurking in it.
Oh, well that's a relief.

I was getting a bit worried, glad to hear that everything is cool, despite all evidence to the contrary.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
You don't have to take my word for it, jump on a plane and come visit for yourself. With that being said, I did happen to catch a new article from the *gasp* MSM about scientists finding mutated butterflies. You heard it from me first, Mothra is coming.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

TEPCO Officials need to die of old age....

I think alot of people need to, the generation controlling the world right now is insane...they need to die and let us have it.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

TEPCO Officials need to die of old age....

I think alot of people need to, the generation controlling the world right now is insane...they need to die and let us have it.

When I read this, I immediately thought of the closing lyrics to The Who's "Won't get fooled again": "Meet the new boss/Same as the old boss" . Who exactly is "us', and what makes you think that "us" is any better that those scary "powers that be".

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
These are the same liars that told us Three Mile Island caused no health defects....

They pretend to be unaware that the reactors haven't been stabilized yet, and are seemingly unprepared to tell people the fact that the sea water they used to cool the reactors... was put back into the sea. So, lucky us, all that healthy coral, kelp etc.. which can be used to lower the chances of thyroid cancer, is now irradiated. I suppose they haven't come to the realization that our water systems are inter connected either, what happens in Japan, effects the entire world.

One can only hope that people like Michio Kaku keep speaking out, we are being lied to.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by SepticSceptic

Because obviously they are on a track race to oblivion. Why not try other options? Eliminate the older classes that are still hell bent from WW2 to destroy the earth and stop brainwashing people into believing war and other crazy crap is a necessity in life. We all can live in peace if we just unite and fight.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

Not saying all people should die, just get rid of everybody in power and put our own people in charge so to speak.
edit on 21-8-2012 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I came across this online while looking up some info on Fuku and thought others might find it useful. It is drawn out of a report created to analyse the long term health effects to farmers and others in the vicinity of Uranium mining in Namibia.

It's a matter of fact report based on matter of fact sourcing and routine in all ways. So..I tend to take the info as being reliable, personally. Now it's just showing whats recommended as maximum limits, being on the safe side. However, with the lack of clear things in the media...I suppose this is more than we often get:

Dose Rate Limits for Public Exposure

The estimated average doses to the relevant critical groups of members of the public that are attributable to practices (including uranium exploration, mining and processing) shall not exceed the following limits:

• An effective dose of 1 mSv in a year;

• In special circumstances, an effective dose of up to 5 mSv in a single year provided that the average dose over five consecutive years does not exceed 1 mSv per year;

• An equivalent dose to the lens of the eye of 15 mSv in a year;

• An equivalent dose to the skin of 50 mSv in a year.

The adoption of internationally accepted radiation safety, management and protection standards as
guidelines for national systems of regulating industries handling radiation, such as the uranium
exploration, mining and processing industry, serves as a valuable best practice.

Namibian regulatory radiological protection standards, as per the draft regulations to the Atomic Energy and Radiation Protection Act, are indeed modelled in line with ICRP’s and IAEA’s international guidelines and recommendations.

Namibia’s proposed public dose limits conform to those recommended by the ICRP and IAEA as listed
above.
Source - PDF Report

Page 7-148 and 7-149 (The pages start at 7-143 and go up...this is a section of a larger report) or the 6th and 7th page from the top is a colorful chart showing average doses received from a number of routine sources around people every day. One column is specific to Namibia and this region but the other column is the Worldwide Average from all the itemized sources and then a combined set of totals at the bottom.

The over all report also supports what others have said,. Radiation varies dramatically on effect even with the same dose by measurement, from one person to another. One part of this report even references a genetic factor in who has strong effects and who doesn't when all things are equal. It's a long and informative report, but I figure the chart and the quote above are what most people are really interested in.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
99.999% of deaths relating to energy "creation" (I used that term loosely) can be prevented by practicing safety protocols on all ends.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Unfortunatly, I've stopped eating tuna, really, fish in general. It was posted several weeks ago that tuna taken off the California coast has increased radioactivity. That's enough for me to understand that consuming tuna is not good. And no, cooking does not remove the particles.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   

"There are lies,then there are damn lies, then there are statistics" Mark Twain

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I was curious recently about this very thing. So I watched this:

m.youtube.com...

It's an hour and a half on the Chernobyl incident. It focus' on the exposures and mechanical failures in the plant.

Here's my beef on this. The Russians were smart enough to go thru town and get pretty much everything that was not tied down and sealed it in the sarcophagus (I think it's a great use of the word) that still closes the plant. Japan is dumping this stuff in the OCEAN! I'm simply dumb-founded about that.

Chernobyl seems to have been a more dramatic accident. But one thing that is mentioned repeatedly in the documentary above--battling an enemy they couldnt see.

"They" can tell "Us" anything they want to about Fuku. It's safe enough to let the kids walk around on top of, or that the ocean will now run red with the blood of all wildlife. The truth of the matter is--we cannot see the radiation. Measure it all you want to with Geiger counters or EMF detectors or whatever scale you wish.

I don't believe Fuku will change the biosphere anymore than 3-Mile Island or Chernobyl did.

There will be consequences. Future offspring with non-survivable defects. Genetic mutations that WILL be invisible and passed down to future generations.

There is no way to clean up what got spilled. It's in the air, the ground and thanks to some genius it's in our sea water.

I'd like to see that plant sealed in a sarcophagus too. This was a disaster of epically Godzilla proportions. I grieve for those of us that will be dosed with never a clue where our immune/renal/cancer problems originated. Young people that will look in horror and love at offspring that gasp and struggle for a few hours and then die.

Okay, world, the radiation is free and loose and filling our depleting crops with goo. Our bodies will have no way of detecting or differniating from nourishment. Put some gravy on it. Have some red wine. And be aware.

<< 1    3 >>

join