It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Panic Over Fukushima

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
This is a Wall Street Journal piece from over the weekend that is trying to convince folks that the radiation effects from the cripple nuke plant in Fukushima is less than the daily exposure from natural radiation in Denver..

It's a lengthy read, and while I am definitely no expert in the nuclear field, I seem to get the hint that this is a piece trying to get the nuke power plants up and running in Japan.

Since I am woefully ignorant, I am presenting this to the members to see how they take this article...

online.wsj.com

Denver has particularly high natural radioactivity. It comes primarily from radioactive radon gas, emitted from tiny concentrations of uranium found in local granite. If you live there, you get, on average, an extra dose of .3 rem of radiation per year (on top of the .62 rem that the average American absorbs annually from various sources). A rem is the unit of measure used to gauge radiation damage to human tissue.

The International Commission on Radiological Protection recommends evacuation of a locality whenever the excess radiation dose exceeds .1 rem per year. But that's one-third of what I call the "Denver dose." Applied strictly, the ICRP standard would seem to require the immediate evacuation of Denver.

What say you ATS?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

I lived in Denver (right outside of Aurora) for a little over 4 years and if anything, I never felt better in my life than I did when I lived there!

If that is what happens with such a high nuclear 'rad' rating, I'll take some every day of the week and twice on Sundays...

But to the actual article, it seems to me to be trying to downplay the fear that many Americans, especially those on the West Coast, are starting to articulate about the Fukushima fallout. I really hope the 'experts' are right and it is nothing to worry about, but the amount of nuclear leakage that occured was massive... it had to go somewhere.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

So it went from 1,000 times more than normal to this?? If the radiation is "safe" now, where did it all go??

Does radiation just go "up and out"?? I am no professional on radiation either, but how does it go from insanely high levels to this??

I can think of 1 thing.....MONEY!! Someone is stretching the truth to get nuclear reactors back to running operation for money of some sort!! Just like Anne Coulter when this whole incident happened......Telling people the radiation is not harmful!!

COME ON!!

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
There are lies...and then there are damn lies.

It takes the media in the modern day and age to actually say with a straight face that an accident scene with the ONGOING process of 3 reactor core meltdowns isn't a big deal and nothing to see..so move along now.

Really....are they hoping we totally forget the fact that all 3 of those meltdown cores are still...somewhere...they aren't even SURE of yet? I mean this calamity is FAR from over, it's just found a natural balance and become stable along the way. If these idiots were encasing and entombing that nightmare. that would be fine. Like Chernobyl. It found a balance....they encased it forever....and will probably KEEP encasing and re-encasing it forever. lol...and it didn't even have a full blown meltdown like Fuku.

I told everyone..last year! I told ya. These maniacs would look to bring this place back online and actually USE it again someday. Look at this talk..and tell me it isn't a process to get people warmed up to that eventual concept.

TEPCO Officials need to die of old age....staring at concrete walls...in a very dark and dank prison. They've signed the death warrants of a % of this planet's population. It's a SLOW MOTION catastrophe though, so they can play like it's not even happening when most of the population suffers chronic ADD these days.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Still not right. Even though we are still exposed to more radiation from doctor visits the like, the residents of Denver have nothing to fret about, even from that extra exposure. If so, we would have see an increase in birth defects, radiation related illnesses and effects. Now we have more however? Denver has an increased altitude, no surprise in it getting some "hot clouds"

But Fukuishima? Something to be very concerned about. There are youtube videos of drastically increased radiation detected in the rainwater. That is localized whoever, probably a hot pocket of radiation mixed in with clouds that have carried way over here. Then suddenly radiation meters go wonky or go offline.

Remember that gov't increased the normal amount of radiation you can be exposed to not shortly after the accident. And i shudder to think about what it looks like in the sea around that prefecture.

However here is a great source on the topic Japan Nuclear Radiation In Hawaii Milk At LEAST 600% Above Federal Drinking Water Limits

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Great news, maybe people will think twice about giving their vacation dollars to Denver.
Come up here in the UP to vacation, we have outcrops up here with low level radiation too. . hmmm......maybe that's a good excuse for us balding guys up here.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
radiation isn't all the same and atmospheric radiation isn't even in the same ball park as cesium 137 and 134, plutonium and uranium. all of which accumulate in everything including the atmosphere and come down every time it rains.

the nuclear industry is a complete scam as well as the nuclear safety and regulatory commission, paid shills is all they are. when the levels get high they raise the safe level limits, instead of warning people, brilliant. lol

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
You know, stuff like this makes me wonder how someone can justify lying on such a large scale??

Maybe these "guys" are, in a way, programmed? Told nothing was wrong over and over by high level people who know that its not over. Brainwashed if you will. Then they can stand up and claim everything is ok with a calm demeanor.

If someone told you the sky was red all your life, how could anyone tell you different?

Also as a sidenote, I wonder if these high level *&^%@#$! have some kind of anti-radiation pill. They have some reason to feel calm about the situation.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The exposure to radiation for people living in the vicinity of Fukishima was higher than the background radiation for people living in Denver.

The exposure to radiation for people living elsewhere, especially on the other side of the world in places like Denver, was less than they experience normally from background radiation. Considerably less if they have a habit of eating bananas or brazil nuts. Or smoke tobacco.

The panic over Fukishima in some quarters was quite funny. Or sad.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
If it`s not all that bad then I want those claiming this to camp out in a tent at the facility for a week. Any takers?
I bet not

Believing how they claim it to be all good is like trusting the FDA. For me that`s not trusting them at all..

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I don't know, usually i am really anti doom and gloom but this sounds too cheesy. There is a major study started by UN (2 year long) to find out what are global results of this tragic event,but journalists already know the answer and compare it to Denver.
Not buying it. If it was all that clear then there would be no need for that long and costly UNSCEAR research.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

My personal opinion, if this has any credibility, is that our galactic friends/watchers inside, atop, and outside mother earrth, Gaia, are ushering in the ascension from 3rd dimensional to 5th dimensional beingness by preventing disasters occurring during this time and maintaining control over the aberrant behaviors of the dark cabal that has been our controllers for centuries and want total control through destruction and imprisoning all of us with a one world government. The earth is cleansing as it prepares for the shift on its way predicted by the Mayans with the end of their calendar coming with the alignment of wonderful earth with the dark rift of our blessed galaxy's central sun, the source of all our energy and processional ascension.

Many negative things which would bring upheaval, harm, and disruption to we earthlings has been prevented by thse enlightened entities. If you are a lightworker, an awakened, ascending light being, you KNOW this is true.

Peace, Love, and Gratitude.

edit on 20-8-2012 by iggy50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Well, to my knowledge, 1000X normal rads is still "safe", as in you won't get anything beyond an increased chance of cancer in 60 years.

Granted, like OP, I don't know for sure.

I think 10,000X normal will give you the lowest dose linked to cancer.
edit on 20-8-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

Just goes to show you the power of radiation and why it's future is quite diverse.
edit on 20-8-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   

This is a Wall Street Journal piece from over the weekend that is trying to convince folks that the radiation effects from the cripple nuke plant in Fukushima is less than the daily exposure from natural radiation in Denver..

ya.. because they dumped it all in the pacific ocean

Untold millions of tons of radioactive water has been continuously dumped into the Pacific Ocean, radiation has been detected in rain, snow, air, water & food in a number of places far away from the west coast. Why has the level of concern of state and federal governments been so low? Why has radioactivity testing been stopped? Why is the Ventura County Reporter the only news outlet reporting on this acute threat to the lives of millions of Americans?

theoldspeakjournal.wordpress.com... a-government-turn-blind-eye/

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Look up the word:

"Wormwood"

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I wonder what the real reason is behind those activists from Japan occupying the disputed island with China?

BTW,What Say You ATS?

This says it all!

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-8-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
It's a lengthy read, and while I am definitely no expert in the nuclear field, I seem to get the hint that this is a piece trying to get the nuke power plants up and running in Japan.

Since I am woefully ignorant, I am presenting this to the members to see how they take this article...
I have handled radioactive materials which were registered with the proper authorities, and I had to undergo a lot of training before I was allowed to do it. This doesn't elevate my status to that of "expert" but I certainly know something about radiation as a result of all that training.

I recently watched this video where Arnie Gunderson discusses the subject of "hot particles" with a professional engineer and how they differ from more electromagnetic radiation like that in Denver:

Hot Particles and Measurement of Radioactivity
In that video they show a photo of lung tissue where a hot particle has been ingested, and you can see localized radiation damage to the lung in the vicinity of the hot particle. This type of concentrated damage doesn't occur in Denver, where radiation exposure is more uniform. If you don't have time to watch the whole video, the readers digest version is: "It's complicated", and there are a lot of uncertainties involved.

In my radiation training, I learned things like what radiation doses will kill 50% of the people exposed to it. These things are known with some degree of accuracy. What is far more difficult to measure are the thresholds at which low levels of radiation start to cause problems like cancers.

One could suggest that humans have evolved to tolerate naturally occurring levels of radiation like those coming from the ground, but this was only true before we built structures which can concentrate that radiation. By far the biggest threat from radiation I know of faced by people outside of the disaster areas of Chernobyl and Fukushima comes from radon gas. If you haven't tested your home for radon gas and you live an an area where this can be a problem (check the EPA maps if you live in the US), I recommend you do this. If radon gas is found to be at too high a level, you can install a system that will make the home safe to live in. I had to do this in one of my houses. It cost less than $1000 and it cost about $5 a month in electricity to operate. That risk completely dwarfs any risk coming from Fukushima (outside of Japan), and you can do something about it.

However for people living in the Fukushima prefecture, I have seen some very troubling measurements which make me doubt the evacuation zone was large enough. There are spotty areas of concentrated radiation which don't match circle shapes drawn on maps, so people living in those areas may have real reason for concern. The video I linked to talks about how even in Tokyo some troubling results were measured. If you live in Tokyo or any closer to Fukushima you may have reason to worry about Fukushima radiation.

For those of us living further away, radon gas is of far more concern if your home has high levels of it:

A Citizen's Guide to Radon

Radon is estimated to cause about 21,000 lung cancer deaths per year

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
The thing with radiation is its funny.

Its accumulative, you may be fine now, but that thyroid cancer you get 20 years from now, well... Who knows the cause of that.

I mean everyone gets cancer, its a common thing...

Right?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
The masters of puppets have done their work very well with covering up the Fukushima disaster. Most of the $heople Nations and their yes men politicians have followed orders to back up the manipulation and lies. This is a united effort by world leaders to prevent the citizens from knowing the truth. The people of Japan and the Hawaiian islands have it the worst. The West Coast of the United States I am sure is not far behind.

This cover up is not just about keeping reactors up and running. Oh no, it's much bigger than that. This is about economics. The amount of fish and rice product that comes out of Japan is enormous. Not too mention other products like Coffee, salt and Sugar cane that come from the Islands.

God forbid these bottomfeeders lose a buck in the name of humanity.

Fukushima is the number 1# modern day cover up in the history of mankind. Of course we will always have the yes men robots who will argue otherwise. The sad thing is that the majority of the $heople will continue to swallow the lies , or just completely ignore the problem while being occupied with their daily lives of trying to survive and make a living.

Read between the lies my friends. ~$heopleNation

edit on 20-8-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Radon gas is generally perceived only as a danger where it can accumulate, i,e: in enclosed spaces. In the outdoors it dissipates rapidly, reducing the human dosage received.

It is these enclosed spaces with radon concentrations higher than the rating that are to be evacuated. This is also likely to indicate even higher radon concentrations over time (if the area is not ventilated). The radon concentration level is set so that action can be taken before it poses a problem to health.

In open/outdoor spaces the radon concentration is mostly inescapable and is unlikely to rise higher than the measured figure and cause a problem.
edit on 20/8/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join