It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if everyone JUMPED at once?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
This is quite a juvenile yet interesting question which I've pondered before. After seeing this video, it made me realise how...small our 7 billion population is in relation to the size of the Earth. We are the biggest influence on the planet and capable of destroying it.

Overpopulation is something that scares many of us and gives us the illusion that the Earth is struggling to cope with the sheer number of us running about on her surface. The truth is, overpopulation actually means simply that there are not enough natural resources to sustain our current way of living. We have plenty of space, we just haven't learned how to use it yet. This video should put this into perspective a bit and will probably make you realise that crowding is an illusion in these money factories that we call cities.

Aside from all that, the main purpose of this is to answer the question: What if everyone jumped at once... here's the answer.

edit on 20-8-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Wouldnt all those in the South of the Planet counteract with all those in the North? Thus surely it would cancel each other out.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
would the world rotate faster if everyone stood in one spot and farted at the same time ?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Please correct me if I'm wrong as my level of physics knowledge is not of a great level. Let's put the landing ground reaction force of a jump into perspective, it's about 10x that of walking (if I recall correctly, with running at roughly 3-5x, again correct me if I'm wrong). Now think about how many people are always walking at once, and how many steps we take every day. So even if it's producing 1/10th that of a jump, it is being done by the ten's of thousands of steps by billions of people each day, yet produces practically no difference (hardly measurable) in the movement patterns of the earth. Again I'm not saying I confidently know what would happen, though I figure virtually nothing would.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Interesting point Acronychal.

Maybe a resonance type of event could happen if everyone stood in one spot and walked at the same speed taking exact steps.
Maybe we could all set off a huge earth quake somewhere
edit on 20/8/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

edit on 20/8/2012 by diddy1234 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
After watching the video it got me thinking, the "Jump" would be a single force acted out at the same time and allowed to dissipate, but what of this? There are many of us out there that while sitting, either through habit or nervous twitches, bounce our knees. For those that need a better description, it is the placing of the toes on the ground at a certain pressure that causes the knee to bounce. In my own experience in doing this, when I first start, it is not noticed, but after a while people on the other side of the house can feel it and yell at me to stop, lol. Now this is because of the smooth repetitive action of force. This vibration if done long enough with enough people matching the tempo could literally bring down a city due to vibrations sent out in the form of waves. This is what is believed to have brought down Jericho, in the repetitive marching and trumpet blows creating vibrations that were not allowed to dissipate until the people stopped sending out a final destructive wave(at least it is how I understand it).

I therefore submit if the population of the World were to bounce their knees at the same pace for an extended period of time, instead of jumping, the amount of force would be amplified exponentially, effecting the Earth in a much more drastic way. Just a theory of course.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Seriously.... make a facebook group, name it "Everybody Jump At Once" and start inviting people for a united jump on a specific day.

I guess you'd need a month or so to spread it out, and then write at which time in which time zone people should be jumping.

I'd love to see this old theory play out

edit on 20/8/12 by flice because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
This is close to something I`ve thought of. But what I thought of was something more like if everyone was to run and jump say East would it cause the Earths rotation to change if we all hit the ground at the same time?
Or say everyone was traveling East in a car and suddenly slammed on the breaks? How much would it take to change the Earths rotation?

Like the Moon could we make it spin?.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I used to wonder about the same scenario but in a falling elevator if ya jumped right before it smashed into the ground...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
I enjoyed that video. Well, interesting how we all fit into rather small spaces, and so don't see any excuse for everyone not having 1-3 acres for their family and for farm, with no taxes, zero way they can take away your home due to any legislation, laws or bills they pass. Don't see their overpopulation as the issue as much as their control, abuse, and the big corporations exploitation of the earth as a problem.

We may not affect earth in a large way, all of us, by jumping, but 1% have managed to really impact her alot by their greed.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
My friend,

Originally posted by shells4u
I used to wonder about the same scenario but in a falling elevator if ya jumped right before it smashed into the ground...

lol, would you not continue to fall? If your falling with the elevator at whatever speed, jumping would have no effect because you are still falling. Would be sore in any case

Question is, would you be able to jump?

Be safe be well,

Spiro

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
If everyone jumped at once at least we could all say we was there and wear the t shirt
I would like to think the Earth would go "what" or "huh" or the same in many foreign languages ..........consider how many people walking, running, cars, trucks. trains, aircraft etc go about their day coinciding with each others movements and nothing happens.

Wolfie

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I don't think that the weight of 7 billion people would have any effect on a planet.
Even if we were all on one side of the planet.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
I really am surprised that NO ONE has stated the Obvious.
I would not have thought it would be me to say this,, but Here Goes..

So,, Everyone goes to Texas, or Better yet,, like he said
How we could all fit Shoulder to Shoulder,,
and we would only cover about 5 or so square miles,
so we all meet up in Los Angeles..

Our Antipode(A direct or diametrical opposite) would then be,, ?? Let me check Google,,,

well, Google sent me to a really cool site called
www.antipodemap.com...
and I found if were trying to affect the opposite side of the world in my go at this mind experiment

Los Angeles is antipodal to a Large section of Ocean. So trying to find some good antipodes for this experiment,, we want some land,,, and maybe a city,,

for the effect to be Awe Inspiring to humanity,, maybe something useful for us all to think upon..

So,, we All Meet up in Boats somewhere around Bermuda,,,
maybe ,, drinking some beers, sipping some whiskey or having a glass of wine,,

and we all have Little Red Button's.

And after a backwards count from 10
when we hear Zero,,
we all in unison Push our little Red Buttons at Once.

Meanwhile On the Other side of Earth,, at the Antipode of coordinates around Bermuda
is Perth Australia.

Now Nothing Personal to all my good mates in the Land Down Under,,
I love you all,,
but to demonstrate Humanities progressive decline
that is an apathy spiral to our collective culpability In the Madness we continue to Feed.
Will any of us remember this?
'Well, scratch that because it won't be remembered,,, much like this experiment. My Mere Musings of the Hope of Humanity Awakened.

so anyway,,, on the other side of the EARTH..

7 Billion Plus Hydrogen Bombs Go Off

All at Once.

Now,, the real puzzle for all of you mind game junkies,,, is this.

How Long Will All of Humanity Live AFTER the Mass Detonations of Such a Pile of Weapons?

Because the Look on Everyone's Face will be the same,
Knowing It Was Our Own DOING,, that made it happen.

And That is What Humanity Has to Look Forward too,, Very Soon, if We Are Not Able, FOR ONCE in History,

To become Unified,
for Our Own Survival's Sake.
edit on 8/20/2012 by EarthCitizen23 because: space of words

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
S+F and not really anything to add except this was interesting and informative.Just a slight technicality--there may be around 7 billion people on earth,but you wouldn't have that many jumping.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by shells4u

Did you factor in Newtons law?

End result splat....

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Absolutely nothing will happen .
Legendary Sky At Night presenter Patrick Moore used this very scenario as an April Fools Day prank in 1976 .

Because of his long-running television career and eccentric demeanour, Moore is widely recognised and has become a popular public figure. In 1976, this was used to good effect for an April Fool's spoof on BBC Radio 2, when Moore announced that at 9.47 am, a once-in-a-lifetime astronomical event was going to occur that meant that if listeners could jump at the exact moment of an imminent celestial event they would experience a temporary floating sensation. The BBC received many telephone calls from listeners alleging that they actually experienced the sensation.

One woman even reported that she and her eleven friends had risen from their chairs and floated around the room. Moore's announcement (which, of course, was a joke) was inspired by a pseudoscientific astronomical theory that had recently been promoted in a book called The Jupiter Effect, alleging that a rare alignment of the planets was going to cause massive earthquakes and the destruction of Los Angeles in 1982.

Need I say moore ? ( pun intended lol )

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
How much time did we lose in a year caused by all those atom-bombs and daisy-cutters exploded over the years..? Could it be possible to increase or decrease the speed of rotation of the earth depending on the angle a atom bomb is exploded deep underground...or maybe on the surface of the Earth?

Anyways, interesting vid... I will certainly check-out one of these web-sites the geek mentioned.

A flag for your OP my friend.

edit on 21/8/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiro

I think if you jumped before it hit the ground you would have to jump ^^up^^ faster than the lift is falling down (terminal velocity), which would be impossible. Even if it was possible, the roof of the lift would carry on down making it quite uncomfortable on the brain basket.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I don't think it would have any effect at all the planet is massive and has been proven to be able to sustain comfortably 20 billion people - overpopulation is a rampant myth created by the greedy a-hole controllers who want to depopulate and keep everything pristine for themselves.

A while back a member here on ATS (see thread link below) computed a cool image which related of the mass of every man, woman and child smooshed into a "meat"ball and what it would look like in relation to everything?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The entire mass is pretty small in comparison with the earth.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join