It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Catholic Church teach from the Bible?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zippidee
Its so misunderstood! We don't worship Mary or the Saints. Frankly I'm tired of this misconception. How many times do those, that know nothing of the Faith, have to be told that we ask for intercession (to pray for us) or (to ask God to forgive us, guide us and grant us the grace and mercy we need). Yes we pray directly to "our Lord" Jesus Christ! No we don't think that salvation comes through Mary or the Saints. Research it and you will understand.

The problem is, Mary and others who have died, are dead. They cannot hear you talk to them. So who is it really that you are asking to intercede for you?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Missing Blue Sky
Catholicism was the only game in town for over a thousand years until the Eastern Orthodox Church split with Rome

Actually, it is the Roman catholics who split with the Eastern orthodox....

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Jesus Christ as the embodiment of God's love made manifest in the world, is as I understand him, all-inclusive and non-coercive. It cannot be held within the confines of a stained glass bottle. His spirit, like the wind is radically free, and so too are we who share in Peter's testimony, that he is the son of the living God. It was the testimony that was the rock, not anything else, and it's on that rock, that testimony that the church, which means a calling out of an assembly was founded "I say you are the son of the living God", but Christ himself is the whole body, and the head, and it's an emergent bottom up phenomenon where we need worship no longer in the temple (building) or on the mountain, but in spirit and in truth. Any who would try to build a wall of exclusivity, particularly relative to a institutional hieararchy, and then tell everyone else that there is no access to Christ's salavation apart from that, is a liar, because the people of God are people, and the hearts and minds of people who love God and where two or more are gathered in his name there he is also. Jesus Christ does not exist behind that door, when the frame is made from the twin pillars of Justice and Mercy, a frame which goes to the very heights of heaven while interceding as Grace on our behalf. And as the bride, God wants people who are in love with him, not who practice a religion framed by a Catacism of Doctrine much of which he didn't even say anything about, only that our work is to believe in the one God sent, and recieve what he is offering. And it's not a divided body, and neither one from which you can cut off a hand or a foot.

edit on 21-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n
reply to post by fenian8

aren`t Catholics Christians???????

They are.

Catholics are Christians..... but for some reason, other Christians see them differently. I dont know why.
Ask a Christian.

I would think its because some Christians don't agree with worshipping a Pope.

And among those Christians are Catholics.

If you believe that Catholics worship the Pope you need to get better resources about Catholicism.

Eric

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by NewAgeMan
reply to post by Augustine62

Quick question: Are Catholics encouraged to read the word themselves through which they might continue to build their relationship with God...

edit on 20-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: typo

Yes. Catholics are instructed to read the Bible and are encouraged to read the Bible through almost every level of the Church hierarchy, ranging from Deacons the Pope. Most parishes also have active Bible study classes.

Additionally, over the course of the year the entirety of the Bible is read aloud during Mass form the pulpit.

Eric

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Strange double post. Sorry.
edit on 22-8-2012 by EricD because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
" The Church of Jerusalem
F.F. Bruce
[p.5]
There was a period―it did not last very long―during which the holy church throughout all
the world was confined within the limits of one local church. That one loca1 church was the
church of Jerusalem, the first Christian church. It may be asked whether there were not many
disciples of Jesus left in Galilee during the period covered by the first five chapters of Acts,
and whether they could not be regarded as constituting a Galilaean church in some sense. That
is a separate question, the answer to which is beset by so many gaps in our knowledge that for
our present purpose we must leave it on one side.
The first Jerusalem church lasted for some forty years. It left the city and went into dispersion
not long before A.D.70, and although even in dispersion it continued for long to call itself the
church of Jerusalem, it had no more any direct association with the city. When Jerusalem was
refounded as a Gentile city in A.D. 135 a new church of Jerusalem came into being, but this
was a completely Gentile Christian church and had no continuity with the church of Jerusalem
of apostolic days." end Quote

Regardless how you think and were taught, a fact is a fact. Peter was a Jew and that is a fact. He subjected himself to Judaic thought as well as Judaic practice. Upon this Jewish foundation the church of Jesus Christ was built. If you insist that Peter was the first Pope then so be it but if so he was the first Jewish Pope. That is a fact. As the first Jewish Pope, Peter obeyed the mosaic laws as well as all Jewish customs and Rome nor any gentile was credited as being involved in this foundation.

People are so caught up in their own little corners of the world that they lose sight of the truth. The Roman gentile organization,called church, was not the first Christian church founded and that my friends is a fact. Regardless of claims or wannabes the Roman Catholic organization had nothing to do with Peter the Jew nor the Jewish Jerusalem church. Peter was indeed the rock on which the true church of Christ was built upon but that entire foundation was entirely Jewish. -- " Rom 2:10 But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:"

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Does the Catholic Church teach from the Bible

The Catholic church teaches from both the Bible and from Tradition.
And the bible itself says to 'hold onto the traditions passed along'.
So it is scriptural to keep sacred traditions.

Originally posted by spoor
it is just a church that worships the pope and Mary.

Wrong. Read the Catechism sometime instead of listening to anti-Catholic bunk.
Catholics do NOT worship the pope and they don't worship Mary.
The Church is VERY clear ... worship belongs to God alone.

Originally posted by glen200376
doesn't the bible tell us only to call God 'holy father'?

then I guess paul and peter are in hell ... :shk:
Call no man father?

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Either way... Christ didn't form a church....
Am I wrong?

Yes, you are wrong - Matthew 16:18
Jesus said "you are Peter, the rock, and upon you I shall build my church ....

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by truejew
Mary and others who have died, are dead. They cannot hear you talk to them. So who is it really that you are asking to intercede for you?

Yes they can hear. I know this from personal experience AND (for those who believe in the bible) it's in scripture.
Can those in Heaven hear us?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Mary and others who have died, are dead. They cannot hear you talk to them. So who is it really that you are asking to intercede for you?

Yes they can hear. I know this from personal experience AND (for those who believe in the bible) it's in scripture.
Can those in Heaven hear us?

The dead can not hear and they are not in heaven yet. They are in the grave. The resurrection (except for Jesus) has not happened yet.
edit on 22-8-2012 by truejew because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by truejew

You can't know that for fact. In fact, Matthew says that many dead saints were resurrected with Jesus.

The tombs broke open and the bodies of many holy people who had died were raised to life. They came out of the tombs, and after Jesus' resurrection they went into the holy city and appeared to many people.

Why would that be considered a 1 time deal. Why wouldn't you consider it to be part of the New Covenant" that the Saints would no longer rot in their graves, but meet Jesus in paradise on the day that they die, or maybe 3 days later.

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

Also just a 1 time deal, or a promise to all the faithful? Why would Jesus take a thief to paradise, but leave his mother in the grave? Makes no sense.
edit on 22-8-2012 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

The dead can not hear and they are not in heaven yet. They are in the grave. The resurrection (except for Jesus) has not happened yet

That's YOUR interpretation. Some fundamentalists believe people are 'sleeping' in the grave. However, the majority of christianity does not share that interpretation. Again read this - Can those in Heaven hear us? Scripture is very clear .. those who have already passed on are very much aware of what is happening on earth and their prayers do indeed reach God ...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by truejew

You can't know that for fact. In fact, Matthew says that many dead saints were resurrected with Jesus.

If they remained resurrected, Mary and your Catholic saints were not among them. We are also never told if they went on to heaven at that time or not.

Originally posted by windword

Why would that be considered a 1 time deal. Why wouldn't you consider it to be part of the New Covenant" that the Saints would no longer rot in their graves, but meet Jesus in paradise on the day that they die, or maybe 3 days later.

We are told that when Christ returns, the dead will rise first. How can the dead be in heaven and be the first to rise during the future coming of Christ. Also, if one of your saint's graves were to be opened up, their body would still be there in the grave.

Jesus answered him, "I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise."

When we are asleep, we don't experience time the same way. What seems like thousands of years to the living could seem just like a day to the dead.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

The dead can not hear and they are not in heaven yet. They are in the grave. The resurrection (except for Jesus) has not happened yet

That's YOUR interpretation. Some fundamentalists believe people are 'sleeping' in the grave. However, the majority of christianity does not share that interpretation. Again read this - Can those in Heaven hear us? Scripture is very clear .. those who have already passed on are very much aware of what is happening on earth and their prayers do indeed reach God ...

It's not my interpretation. It's what Scripture teaches.

The majority isn't always correct.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

TextThe dead can not hear and they are not in heaven yet. They are in the grave. The resurrection (except for Jesus) has not happened yet. edit on 22-8-2012 by truejew because: (no reason given)
reply to post by truejew

If that is your belief then so be it but that is not my belief. Who are they that Jesus brings with Him in the second advent if every one simply lays and rots in the grave? I see nothing in the teachings of Christ Jesus that confirms what you have said in your above blog.

1Th 4:14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

If God brings them with Him then they can not be in the grave. Can they?

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

TextWe are told that when Christ returns, the dead will rise first. How can the dead be in heaven and be the first to rise during the future coming of Christ. Also, if one of your saint's graves were to be opened up, their body would still be there in the grave.
reply to post by truejew

I assume you mean -- 1Th 4:16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   

TextWe are told that when Christ returns, the dead will rise first. How can the dead be in heaven and be the first to rise during the future coming of Christ. Also, if one of your saint's graves were to be opened up, their body would still be there in the grave.
reply to post by truejew

Pardon me truejew i hit the wrong button by mistake.

I assume you mean -- 1Thessalonians 4:16 and For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by spoor

huh? They dont "worship"the pop and the mother....

My mothers Catholic and I've read so many books on this religion as well as attended many masses.

They believe the praying THROUGH the mother can help reach God, and many dislike the pope and Vatican.

Seriously imma keep an eye on this thread, as so many people have the wrong thoughts about this religion...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by truejew

if one of your saint's graves were to be opened up, their body would still be there in the grave.

we take our bodies to the afterall now?! I gotta remember to throw on a hoodie and my skate shoes then...and to think I wanted to be dressed neatly

seriously do you know anything of the religion your breaking down? Your name imply s your Jewish, so I would guess thats your expertise, not catholicism...

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

reply to post by truejew

Pardon me again truejew i have my problem solved now so will continue with what I had meant to say.

I assume you mean -- 1Thessalonians 4:16, 17 -- "For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord."

When a person dies the body returns to this earth and never rises again. To believe otherwise is not of Jesus but Judaic custom. Jesus teaches that the dead flesh, bone, and blood is gone forever and will never be allowed into the celestial kingdom. Only the spiritual body remains and it is the spiritual body which is judged,

1Corinthians 15:44 "It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body."

Right now there are two groups of righteous people. The first group are those in the kingdom of heaven. These righteous people have been judged and found worthy of eternal life. The unrighteous will be in hell up to this point.
The second group of people are those who have NOT been accountable in this life. Aborted, murdered and mentally challenged. You must be accountable to receive a judgment for sins. This second group is in Jesus who has life in Himself as the Father has life. This mystery is the same as pertained to Jesus' friend Lazarus. Lazarus was in Jesus and had not been judged. He was restored and not resurrected in that account.

Thessalonians refers to the return of Christ to this earth to start His 1,000 years reign. Within an instant the righteous people of this earth instantly drop dead and within a blink of an eye their souls are received into the Kingdom of God. When Christ comes to gather these righteous people he will also bring with Him The righteous souls who have already died and are in the Kingdom which He brings with Him. The dead in Christ are those souls who abide in Him and are called the dead in Christ. The dead in Christ will be restored first and then the righteous who are alive upon this earth are gathered.

We then wind up with the family of God in one group of people. Dead in Christ to those of that time were called asleep. The accountable soul does not sleep but is judged immediately upon death and immediately enters the abode of heaven (Kingdom of God) or hell. Jesus never teaches that the earthly body resurrects.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join