It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the Catholic Church teach from the Bible?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:07 AM
link   
There is a conspiracy, present since the 1st Century A.D., to say the Church isn't the Church. I'd prefer to post this in a more general Religion forum, but such a category is non-existent here. C'est la ATS.

The Bible: what does it mean to teach FROM the Bible? Well, in terms of the Catholic Church, which is the Church Christ founded, we must understand two things:

1) The Church is the Bride of Christ.
2) The Church, being the Bride, is joined (2 become 1) to Christ, which is the understanding of No Salvation Outside the Church-- being the Mystical Body of Christ.
a) the Husband is visibly "away", leaving the wife in charge.
b) the Husband is present, in a manner unseen vis-a-vis the Blessed Sacrament.
c) Not a single legitimate child can be the result of adultery or polygamy insofar as this example; ALL salvation is THROUGH the Church, which is to say through Christ (Catechism of the Catholic Church #846): this is where it gets all abstract and nuanced, and the physical, earthly examples become rather deficient lest we end up with Feeneyism (only visible Catholics go to heaven) or the more modern, and lacking, misunderstanding that people can be saved BY their false religions rather than merely IN them. (See Baltimore Catechism #3 Questions 510-513, Catechism of Pope Saint Pius X Questions 27-29, and for the Society of Saint Pope Pius X lurkers: Chapter 10 of Open Letter to Confused Catholics by Abp. Marcel Lefebvre.)

So, what IS the Bible? Well, we might consider the Bible a love letter of sorts. Now, who better to translate/interpret a love letter to a wife and by default all the children of said union (that'd be all joined to Christ in that mystical way), than the WIFE. Surely anyone who has ever written a letter to someone, particularly a love letter, knows they often contain little phrases or understandings ONLY known to the person receiving it, right? Right.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Augustine62
Well, in terms of the Catholic Church, which is the Church Christ founded,

No it is not actually, that is just a claim that they make - it is just a church that worships the pope and Mary.

en.wikipedia.org... explains it

And the church of Rome hide kiddy fiddlers.

edit on 20-8-2012 by spoor because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by spoor

No it is not actually, that is just a claim that they make - it is just a church that worships the pope and Mary.

And they hide kiddy fiddlers.

agreed,the calling the pope 'holy father' is just wrong,blasphemy!doesn't the bible tell us only to call God 'holy father'?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Augustine62

I'd rather ask... do other churches teach from the bible OR are they following their own doctrines?

- The trinity
- Original sin
- Jesus sin' sacrifice
- not needing to keeping the law
- Jesus being God or fully human and fully God
etc.

As for the christian claim that Jesus is God himself... it turns the woman who gave birth to him the mother of God. In doing so, Christians are in no position to accuse the catholics of worshipping Mary.
Christians commit a sin that's far worse than worshipping Mary... that is, implying that God has a mother.

edit on 20-8-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

No - the Catholic Church teaches its INTERPRETATION of the bible, just like all of the Churches.

For Example, Some Churches, other than Catholic, teach:-
Rapture: Word does not exist in scripture, the event is an interpretation of scripture.
The Anti-Christ: The definitive term "The" does not exist in scripture immediately before the word "Anti-Christ" yet churches would have you believe in an individual called "The Anti-Christ".

I left the Catholic Church (the set of bricks I'm talking about) along time ago after 22years of it from birth to Uni.
I read scripture regularly (damn good Alien & UFO stories
) and, IMHO, feel I have a better understanding of what the bibles' message is than what I was "taught" in boarding school. I have done Alpha training, was an altar boy and was approached to join the Priesthood in my final year at school but it was (obviously in hindsight) not the path "God" had planned for me and my life.

All Churches, to an extent, pick & choose scriptural passages to suit their philosophy but seem to ignore the whole story.

When you read the whole story from start to finish, including those books that did not make it into the bible, you cannot help but feel betrayed a little bit by the Churches' arrogance.

I'm baptised, so in my world I am still his Church / bride of Christ (and my lamp is full of oil and ready let me give you the tip!!) - I don't need to attend a set of bricks and part with cash twice in less than an hour to prove my "devotion" to Christ - I do that alone. The exception to this is confession and receiving the sacrament - which I do regularly and "out of hours".

..............but I still believe in Aliens and UFO's though

edit on 20-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Well, in terms of the Catholic Church, which is the Church Christ founded

Really? Christ founded the Catholic Church?...

The Council of Nicaea was a few hundred years after he died..

Either way... Christ didn't form a church....

Am I wrong? New to me.
edit on 20-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

The Council of Nicaea was a few hundred years after he died..

Am I wrong? New to me.
edit on 20-8-2012 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)
No your right,its that damn catholic indoctrination!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by glen200376

All religion is indoctrination.

Sorry I am not a friendly handshake.

I just think the OP is absurd. His/her entire thread is rendered ridiculous by that one statement.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Honestly, I wouldn't know. I was born and raised Catholic but every time I went to church I kept falling asleep. The repetitiveness of sitting, standing and kneeling with the same old speeches just numbed my mind. I felt like I never learned anything.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Yes........read on

Am I wrong? New to me.

Well, you are not exactly correct, according to Catholic Doctrine.

It's ALL in the INTERPRETATION of scripture - like I said in my first post...........

"And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it". Matt 16:18

I would suggest that this is the scripture that the OP is referring to. It's also the 1 piece of scripture that the Catholic Church hangs its hat on regarding being given their authority. Interpretations (there's that bloody word again) of this passage, according to Catholic doctrine, verifies Peter as the "rock" (or foundation stone and later the Vicar of Christ or Pope) that Christ said he would build his church upon - so in effect the OP's comment is correct - Christ did indeed intend to form a church well before Constantines little "epiphany" some 300 years later.

edit on 20-8-2012 by Sublimecraft because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
The catholic church has structure based on the bible but has made changes to make it's numbers increase. They used Occams razor to change their perception long ago to make the spreading of Christianity possible. Changes made to adopt new societies was necessary because of the traditions of the societies.

The Catholic church is not evil. It may be a little misguided but it still tries to look after it's members. I know power sometimes goes to the head of it's leaders and that their leaders sometimes are ignorant of the needs of their members but it is basically good. I can't understand why the pedophiles are targeting the church though, there is something going on there which needs attention from the church.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
So what? This is just another example of how modern Christians just can't help but shove their ignorant snouts into everyone else's business.

Here's a better question, does the Bible teach people common sense? If you look around today at many of its adherents, it seems a fair question.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

I'd rather ask... do other churches teach from the bible OR are they following their own doctrines?

- The trinity
- Original sin
- Jesus sin' sacrifice
- not needing to keeping the law
- Jesus being God or fully human and fully God
etc.

As for the christian claim that Jesus is God himself... it turns the woman who gave birth to him the mother of God. In doing so, Christians are in no position to accuse the catholics of worshipping Mary.
Christians commit a sin that's far worse than worshipping Mary... that is, implying that God has a mother.

edit on 20-8-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

aren`t Catholics Christians???????

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by fenian8

They are.

Catholics are Christians..... but for some reason, other Christians see them differently. I dont know why.
Ask a Christian.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by glen200376

Originally posted by spoor

And they hide kiddy fiddlers.

agreed,the calling the pope 'holy father' is just wrong,blasphemy!doesn't the bible tell us only to call God 'holy father'?

Yep! Not just the Pope, but the Priests are called "Father" as well. I was nearly fired for calling a Catholic Priest "sir" instead of "Father" when I was a waitress, trying to take his order! LOL!

Matt.23
[9] And call no man your father on earth, for you have one Father, who is in heaven.

Jesus says:
Matt.23
[8] But you are not to be called rabbi, for you have one teacher, and you are all brethren.

Wasn't the Catholic church founded by Peter, who denied Jesus 3 times, and who Jesus called Satan?

Matthew 16:23
Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the things of God, but the things of men."

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

reply to post by fenian8

They are.

Catholics are Christians..... but for some reason, other Christians see them differently. I dont know why.
Ask a Christian.

I would think its because some Christians don't agree with worshipping a Pope.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fenian8

One of the first century heresies that the early Church had to deal with was Gnosticism. Gnosticism was a mix of Christianity and Babylonian Judaism. The doctrine of the trinity and later the Catholic Church are their descendants. The Catholic Church has continued to add in teachings of pagan religions since then.

The true Christian Church is a descendant of the pure Judaism from the OT.

The paganism found in the Catholic Church, makes the whole Catholic Church pagan.

"6Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? " (1 Corinthians 5:6-7 KJV)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Some teachings of the Catholic church have nothing to do with the Bible. The Stations of the Cross, for instance, includes a part where Veronica gets the image of Jesus by wiping his face with a cloth. That is a completely Pseudagraphic story and not part of the accepted KJV Bible.

But for the most part, the Catholic Church doesn't really have a specifically designated Bible it follows, so I guess they can take their stories and rituals from wherever they want.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Quick question: Are Catholics encouraged to read the word themselves through which they might continue to build their relationship with God, and increase in Christ as his bride, and what is meant by "the church" if it isn't the body of all true believers? Is "the bride" an institutionalized religious organization, or the people of God? I'm a little confused about this idea of exclusivity of the RCC as the Bride.

I consider myself a Bride of Christ and I'm not Roman Catholic. Am I disqualified, even though I love Him?

edit on 20-8-2012 by NewAgeMan because: typo

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightWarrior11

reply to post by fenian8

They are.

Ask a Christian.

I would think its because some Christians don't agree with worshipping a Pope.

Yeah thats correct, i think by Christian they mean Protestant which basically in turn means protesting Catholic, just annoying that when someones trying to make a point about Christians they always forget Catholics are the largest Christian denomination

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join