It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unwarranted Self Importance

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Let me just start by saying I have nothing personal against persons in the military as a whole, this is only directed at those among them who have a very bad case of Unwarranted Self Importance, and love to let everyone else around know about it.

I have never been in the military. Now some of you may read that statement and think nothing of it, perhaps you have never been in the military either, or you have and don't think it is a bad thing.

But others may read that statement and automatically think less of me and my opinions, or may outright think I'm a sniveling wimp cowering behind his Mothers skirts.This is the problem I am addressing in this rant.

When did someone not joining the military become a bad thing? A detestable thing to be sneered at and ridiculed?
I understand a countries need for a military, and there are always those who will join out of "patriotic duty", or they have nothing else they can do i.e. poor, undereducated people (which that is a whole other topic I won't get into here).

But the thing a lot of military people don't understand is, if every single citizen of a country joins and fights in the military, then who is back home running things? Who is running register at the local grocery store? Who is taking care of your Grandmother at the nursing home? Who is cooking food at restaurants? Who is doing preventative maintenance on buildings so they don't break down?

Sometimes it seems like these sufferers of Unwarranted Self Importance wouldn't be happy until the only US citizens that aren't active duty, are politicians. Because you know the only people who wouldn't be fighting wars are the ones who start them.

It just annoys me that I can be in the middle of a debate with someone who happened to be in the military, and at some point its found out I've never been, and suddenly they're the victor for only that reason. Or when someone uses the fact that someone else has never been in the military as a valid point of them being unworthy of respect.

I guess that's what it comes down to: Respect.
It's an utter lack of respect for anyone who hasn't "served".

Well sorry, but if you ever use the fact that I've never been in the military against me for silly reasons, especially political, than you have lost all respect from me. Because using your station as a vet for political reasons is pretty sad, unless it actually pertains to the military. Otherwise you should be able to argue your viewpoint by the merits of it, not brow beating everyone else into submission by guilt tripping those who have not "served".

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I know I'm going to get a lot of crap for saying this, but I think most would be surprised at how many other people feel the same way as me, but are too scared to say anything.

Oh well, they can live vicariously through me when I get the flaming from this post.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Most military members i know are pretty humble, chill people.. but there are those guys that wear there uniforms EVERYWHERE that kind of irk me. Club? High school football game? Wedding? I don't know what else, but you get the picture.. every event they attend they wear it for some reason.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by ideasarebulletproof

While I get the gist/sentiment of your rant, if anything, you come across as self-depreciating and questionable of your own intellect....??

It just annoys me that I can be in the middle of a debate with someone who happened to be in the military, and at some point its found out I've never been, and suddenly they're the victor for only that reason. Or when someone uses the fact that someone else has never been in the military as a valid point of them being unworthy of respect.
If you engage in a debate of any topic and are able to convey meaning, reason and be able to articulate your point of view, what does it matter whether or not they're military??....you own your content or you don't, military service should have no bearing.

I guess that's what it comes down to: Respect. It's an utter lack of respect for anyone who hasn't "served".
This may or may not be.

If it amounts to respect, or the lack of it, maybe you may want to review the company you keep??

I'm not diss'n you dude, just saying is all.

....but I think most would be surprised at how many other people feel the same way as me, but are too scared to say anything.
You just may have spoken for the unspoken....??

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I don't see how a military background could win someone an argument, I'd call a person out just for thinking that.
Well, unless I was arguing about the interior of a tank with a current or previous tank commander.
I myself have never been inside of a tank.
But that is a good thing with the life expectancy of a tank crew.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Perhaps

Well as you can see I was writing this at 4am so I probably wasn't quite as articulate as I would hope. It's not so much that they feel they won the argument just by the fact that they were/are in the military, I equate it to debating a subject with someone until they find out one only has ones GED, then all of a sudden no matter what one says, no matter the validity or how compelling the arguments, the opposition a lot of times will not listen to anything one has to say.

For example: I had a thread on the subject of food assistance programs, and of course the crowd came out saying nothing more than the usual talking point arguments, and I was trying to have a discussion about it rather than a bumper-sticker-slogan pissing contest. When finally I stated that at one point I myself had had food assistance, then one persons only reply was "thanks, that's all I needed to know." then never replied again.

This is the kind of disrespect I'm talking about. When one is not worthy of being listened too if he/she has ever X. Fill in the X with any position or status in life one does not agree with, or feels is not worthy of respect.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I totally get what you are saying. There are some of us that put on the uniform and think they are a god. And since a god is all knowing any crap that spews from these idiots mouth is the truth, in their mind atleast.

They get off on the respect they are given so they will wear that damn uniform everywhere. 99% of the time its recruits and the joes fresh out of basic. Most of us cant wait to throw on a pair shorts and tshirt, crack open a beer and watch tv or hit the Xbox. although I will admit to putting my uniform on to scare my little sisters new boyfriends )

With that being said, you also have the civilians that think they know more about military then the military..I have also had civilians with no military background trying to tell me about military tactics, fighting in a war, our weapons and vehicles, ect... and no matter what I said they thought they were right and I was a idiot. The funny thing is when I ask where they got their info from its always a my friends uncles brothers friend or some thing like that. I actually had a guy tell me that I dont know what its like being a soldier in a war, I said hmm im pretty sure I do. I asked how the hell would you know, he says my grandfather served and he told me all his stories.

So its not just some idiots in the military. There is arrogant idiots everywhere, and since the military is made up of people from all walks of life we are bound to get some of them. S&F

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ussoldier

Yeah I totally understand that. Me never being in the military will never pretend to know what it's like, or that I know about certain things pertaining to it.

I guess I only wrote this with the military on my mind because I was skimming some threads here on ATS and certain topics always have the guys saying stuff like "While X was smoking too much dope to join the military..." or words to that effect meaning no matter what that person has or hasn't done, it doesn't matter because they never joined.

But you're right, I basically hate it when anyone has unwarranted self importance and thinks they know everything about every subject.

edit on 8/21/12 by ideasarebulletproof because: (no reason given)

top topics

join