It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama-Biden 'AttackWatch' site is Obsessed with 'Swift Boat attacks' !

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

Everyone...even Romney's "supporters" know he has nothing but lies to offer on the issues.

Then why aren't you a Romney supporter? You've been swallowing Obama's lies for 4 years.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Pres. Obama?...Never sought or recieved any deferments.

He never sought a deferment, because he never NEEDED to. Who's to say what he would have done if he needed to?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

It's okay to review military records for now

I could care less. I just thought it amusing that those cheering a draft dodger who ran to france and got FOUR deferments over the length of the war...chose to make it an issue.

Originally posted by Eurisko2012
but the #1 and #2 issue on Americans minds

right now are:

1- U.S. economy - High Unemployment - $16 Trillion National Debt - 1.5% GDP and slowing

2- MediCare - Protect & Strengthen or Rob the MediCare Piggy Bank ?

Great...let me know when Romney/Ryan want to actually say something about those issues where Fact-Check.org, Politifact, The Tax Policy Center, the Office of Management and Budget and often other conservatives aren't shouting BULLSH*&.

As Newt Gingrich described Romney on the issues...

“You cannot debate somebody who is dishonest. You just can’t,”

Gingrich said there was “no practical way” to deal with somebody who is willing to say something “totally dishonest.”

abcnews.go.com...

Everyone...even Romney's "supporters" know he has nothing but lies to offer on the issues.

Is your TV broken ?

Paul Ryan - U.S. economy " We promise equal opportunity, not equal outcomes."

- Ouch ! That one hurt. It's the truth. -

Paul Ryan - MediCare "Protect & Strengthen instead of robbing the MediCare Piggy Bank !"

- Ouch ! That's 2 ! ObamaCare takes over $700 Billion from MediCare? Oh my God !!!!

edit on 20-8-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

But what is interesting is that looking back on most recent POTUS's, those eligable to serve in Viet Nam...COMBAT

I believe we were talking about service in the U.S. Armed Forces. If you have to change the parameters around specifically to include Bush in the conversation and single him out, I'd say you're very agenda driven and it's showing.

His Dad? Served honorably in WW2.
Clinton?...got a student deferment...ONCE

As I mentioned to someone else...... FORMER President Bush is as important to today's events and tomorrows news as Jimmy Carter. I don't care...AT ALL...what Bush did or didn't do and for the last time...Barack Obama is the President and has been for nearly 4 years. He is the FIRST President I have EVER heard blaming the last guy to nearly the final days of his OWN term.

Military wise..... Yeah... Bush didn't hear a shot fired in Anger. You're right. Neither did Jimmy Carter. He served from the Academy entry in 1947, into Submarines and left in 1953. Honorable. Never saw fighting. Never had to..... I respect his service, even if his Presidency wasn't what I'd call a success by any measure.

Where was Obama for service when HIS age came? He was busy getting stoned and partying with his Chong gang or whatever they called it. He was busy admiring men like Frank Marshall Davis and Bill Ayers who didn't serve at the Pentagon..HE BOMBED IT.

These were the role models of our President, and in his words. The ROLE MODELS for the President of the United States. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but SOME jobs used to require a certain..mindset. Like pride in one's own nation...to serve as it's leader.

NOW...in That case... the lack of military service means everything, I'd say.

Romney?...He sought and recieved FOUR Deferments from the draft during Viet Nam. Even fled to France to "minister" in case his deferment was denied. Never served stateside or otherwise.

President Obama never needed a deferment. He was a child when the draft was last in effect. That's ignorance to even mention or compare. Nor WOULD he have required a deferment. He was a drug user...self admitted and widely known by the press we've seen in recent years. Strike 1 (though not terminal if he'd been born 10 years sooner). Second he spent a fair part of his growing years in another nation and using another name. HUGE Strike 2. Last, and this DID matter back then (if he's been old enough) he was good friends with and looked up to known and self declared communists. Ahh.. that nasty C word again. Strike 3....and Obama wouldn't have been able to serve as a latrine cleaner, let alone a U.S. Soldier in Honorable Conditions.

AS far as Romney's deferments? That's interesting...I'll need to look into that. Although given Obama as the man to beat....and the fact we all learned to live with Bill Clinton having gone to MOSCOW during the Vietnam War...I'm sure we can learn to live with Romney's past too. At least he isn't HIDING all of it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

AS far as Romney's deferments? That's interesting...I'll need to look into that.

. At least he isn't HIDING all of it.

Sure he is...He just got busted on the lie, like everything else...

AP did a full story here..

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.

Except for pursuing and recieveing FOUR deferments over several years and fleeing to France!

www.nwherald.com...

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by JIMC5499

He never sought a deferment, because he never NEEDED to. Who's to say what he would have done if he needed to?

Ok...so?

One candidate...Never needed to dodge the draft, so we can't say he would have or wouldn't have?

The other we KNOW dodged the draft four times and went to France?

How does this argument help Romney?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

I never implied that it did. What you choose to read into it is your problem. I just stated a fact.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I never implied that it did. What you choose to read into it is your problem. I just stated a fact.

ahhh...OK. Well you jumped into a response I made for rabbit who was contending something different. I assumed you were backing his assertation.
edit on 20-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

ahhh...OK. Well you jumped into a response I made for rabbit who was contending something different. I assumed you were backing his assertation.
edit on 20-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

No problem. I know a lot of people from that era and 90% of them would have done the same thing as Romney if they had the chance. That was the fault of the Selective Service system, not the people who took advantage of their policies.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

My issue is (1)...the "never served!" line of attack employed by Romney supporters on this thread seems comical in the context of ROmney dodging the draft 4 consecutive times...and

“It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam, but nor did I take any actions to remove myself from the pool of young men who were eligible for the draft,” Romney told the newspaper.

www.nwherald.com...

Romney seems to be a pathological liar.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

reply to post by JIMC5499

My issue is (1)...the "never served!" line of attack employed by Romney supporters on this thread seems comical in the context of ROmney dodging the draft 4 consecutive times...and

www.nwherald.com...

Romney seems to be a pathological liar.

Romney is a pathological liar as compared to what? It helps to have an alternative that isn't actually worse than the problem we're talking about. In this case, Obama isn't an example where I ask where he's lied......but where he's been 100% honest. I don't suggest he outright lies on everything, because he doesn't. However, even the small things seem shaded and hedged on the truth.....as if dishonesty is such a core part of his personality, he doesn't know where the lines are.

Now.... If Romney has outright lied on the Vietnam War status...I'm interested to hear more on that and you sound like you have looked into it.. So... If there IS something to it, you have quotes of where he misrepresented or outright said one thing when the other was the actual truth right? I anxiously await support to your assertions.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Now.... If Romney has outright lied on the Vietnam War status...I'm interested to hear more on that and you sound like you have looked into it.. So... If there IS something to it, you have quotes of where he misrepresented or outright said one thing when the other was the actual truth right? I anxiously await support to your assertions.

Hey Rabbit - Honestly don't mean to offend...but WTF????????????

I rpovided his direct lie above...I qouted it...I underlined it...I linked to the source.

He told a reporter he took no action to avoid the draft....while he applied for and apparently pulled strings to get (the Morman church was very hesitant to give religious deferments)...FOUR consecutive deferments from being eligable for the draft.

www.votevets.org...

edit on 21-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Actually... I was hoping you'd come back and post. I didn't feel I could properly double post and pile on a response when I'd honestly missed a very important factor to this story prior to the last reply. Doom on me, I figured...missing something major. You've come back though!
So..my hour or so researching won't have been in vain. First, your assertion though..and it's an interesting one, given the link you gave me yourself.

Here is a piece from your own cited source...and honestly, I wouldn't have known this to point out if your source hadn't done it for me. I was born the same year the combat operations in Vietnam were winding down and largely coming to an end (73) so...I wouldn't have known this personally.

Though an early supporter of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service at the height of the fighting after high school by seeking and receiving four draft deferments, according to Selective Service records. They included college deferments and a 31-month stretch as a "minister of religion" in France, a classification for Mormon missionaries that the church at the time feared was being overused. The country was cutting troop levels by the time he became eligible for the draft, and his lottery number was not called.

It's fascinating and good to have learned because it essentially kills the entire subject and point as moot, on the spot. According to that source you found, he was never actually called...and never WOULD have been called anyway. So we can at least consider why else a man would have wanted to go to college and Missionary work. Indeed.....It's why I'm glad you did come back..

Missionary Work in most Christian Faiths is important but FAR from expected and certainly not demanded in literal or even peer pressure ways to go pursue. Those who DO are truly good people and I've known a couple who've done their time in other parts of the world. It's a very self-sacrificing way to serve and I assure you, Missionaries are NOT living like it's a vacation. No Church funds their people like it's a trip to party on.

In the case of the Mormon Church...Missionary work is something entirely different...and of course, we know Mitt is a dedicated Mormon.

Here is one note on Missionary status within the LDS Church:

That Mormons do missionary work is one of the Church's most recognized characteristics. Right now, tens of thousands of missionaries are walking, driving or riding their bikes around the world, handing out copies of the Book of Mormon and sharing the gospel with the people they meet. Why do these people, most of them under the age of 25, volunteer to leave their homes at their own expense and dedicate a period of their lives to preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ?

52,000 missionaries are currently serving in 350 missions around the world. They proselytize in every country where the government and political climate allow it. Many missionaries grow to love the areas in which they serve so much that they find it harder to come home after their missions are over than it was for them to leave in the first place. They return home as informed ambassadors of the nations and cultures where they served.
Source

Missionary work for a young Mormon man isn't an escape or travel to see the world and I don't expect anyone without Faith to understand it....but to Mormons, it's a calling and core part of their Faith. I don't have to agree with it..or see the logic to it, to understand THEY do and that's good enough.

President Hinckley extends the call for missions of 40 hours or more a week at home or elsewhere in the world. If you are a physically able, emotionally stable young man, pray about the opportunity and responsibility you have to the Lord to prepare yourself to be a full-time missionary. That includes understanding the scriptures, being obedient, keeping yourself clean, pure, and worthy to be endowed in the temple. When of age, accept a call by the President of the Church to serve for two years as an emissary of the Lord.
Source

Even the two years wasn't random or arbitrary, but the standard expected term for a Mormon Missionary to serve once reaching 18 and able in both Faith and physical health.

What this issue is doing is literally attacking Mitt Romney THROUGH and BY his Church and duties he performed as a member of it. This is the LOWEST form of attack Obama could ever bring..and what I feared they planned when they all but backed Romney in the primaries themselves. It's FAR beneath the dignity of a U.S. President to even mention...and this one, far beyond most.

(Especially when the draft was, by your own source, never even a *REAL* factor for Mitt at his point in time)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

If I could flag your last post I would. The truth was right up front the entire time.

Good work!

Anyone who has ever flown out of Salt Lake City airport has seen these young missionaries as they take their first steps towards service.
edit on 21-8-2012 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Here is a piece from your own cited source...and honestly, I wouldn't have known this to point out if your source hadn't done it for me.

Though an early supporter of the Vietnam War, Romney avoided military service at the height of the fighting after high school by seeking and receiving four draft deferments, according to Selective Service records. They included college deferments and a 31-month stretch as a "minister of religion" in France, a classification for Mormon missionaries that the church at the time feared was being overused. The country was cutting troop levels by the time he became eligible for the draft, and his lottery number was not called.

It's fascinating and good to have learned because it essentially kills the entire subject and point as moot, on the spot.

Hey Rabbit....I hate to piss on what must have felt like a "gotcha" moment, but you are confused on what you read.

The article states that by the time Mitt's FOURTH deferment expired..."The country was cutting troop levels by the time he became eligible for the draft, and his lottery number was not called."

When the article states "eligable" it is referring to his FOUR deferments expiring. Mitt didn't apply for a FIFTH because by then we were withdrawing from Viet Nam and the rick of being drafted was non-existent.

I'll keep it simple..

Mitt was born March 4th, 1947

Turned 18 years old and eligable for the draft in 1965 and if not for his FOUR DEFERMENTS that he sought and recieved, would have been eligable during the entirity of the Viet Nam war.

You cited that paragraph...but didn't read this one?

He became available for military service at the end of 1970 when his deferments ran out and he could have been drafted. But by that time, America was beginning to slice its troop levels, and Romney’s relatively high lottery number – 300 out of 365 – was not called.

And lastly...you idea that missionary work was demanded by his church???

NOT SO...JUST THE OPPOSITE

He was granted the deferment even as some young Mormon men elsewhere were denied that same status, which became increasingly controversial in the late 1960s. The Mormon church, a strong supporter of American involvement in Vietnam, ultimately limited the number of church missionaries allowed to defer their military service using the religious exemption.

Do your emotions demand that you read/comprehend certain passages, ignore others, and contort the sum to meet your emotional/idealogical yearnings?.. Not unusual...but your integrity and intellect is better served by objectivity or at least and honest reading of the facts.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join