It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My parents don't approve of me pursuing my music career

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks, spec. It's always been hard for me to hold a conversation with my parents. Just because they're so quick to judge and dismiss what I have to say.

I really love my parents, I know they've worked hard to provide for me and what not. But being the youngest in my family, my opinion has always been kind of smothered. I'm treated as if I don't know jack sometimes and it pisses me off.

Even now it's like that. It's gotten to the point where I really don't enjoy talking to them on the phone and I just want to hang up because once I try to get into a civil discussion about it they just get mad at me and start nagging me. Either that or they just straight up call me to talk me out of it.

They care...but they're doing it wrong. And it's not getting through to them that they're doing it wrong.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I say follow your dreams so you don't wind up with regrets .

" If you love what you do you will never have to work a day in your life."

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Jana12

That's the mentality I have.

If I take the secure route, I don't want to look back and say damn..what could I have done with my music?

No regrets. I'm giving myself a few years... if it doesn't turn out I'm still young and can still command my life to where it needs to be.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptenjakin
reply to post by Kino321

Yeah, I understand that. But they've got to understand the best way to help me right now is to support me instead of oppose me. I'm already on the path and they're not gonna stop me. Any obstruction is just going to make it unnecessarily harder for me and more painful for me.

I've seen a bunch of people and met a bunch of people whose parents give them their complete support. I guess its just something I wished I had.

So why are you bitching about your issues on a conspiratorial sight?

It seems you know what you want to do and what you are going to do...So do it.

This isn't a group support website for a pussy that cant stand up to his or her parents.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Yeats because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Yeats

Why do people talk? It's to find people with common ground, interesting view points, profound thoughts, and communicate.

So why are you bitching about my 'bitching'... to spark a response right?

Didn't mean to piss you off, man.

But underneath all of the conspiracy and intellectual (sometimes) posts, everyone here on this forum is human. And I know there are some very intelligent people here that can give me some good advice.

If you've got a problem with that, then too bad.

*Obviously, you're not one of those very intelligent people I'm talking about.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Ptenjakin because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
no body wants to do a 9 to 5 job. and everyboby doing a 9 to 5 job has dreams and aspirations.

i dont like to say it wont happen,but be realistic.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Kino321

I have to disagree with that. I know many friends who's sole aspirations are to live a 9-5 and live a very routine and secure comfortable life.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Aww, you know they love ya. As some of our great American philosophers said, "Parents just don't understand."

Chronaut gave some great advice to remember too. I'm sure your folks worry 'bout that as well.

This is the second song I've heard from you and I've really enjoyed both, brother.

edit on 19-8-2012 by The GUT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

I'm taking in everything everyone here has said.

Even the angry one over there
(just to make him feel appreciated because it seems he lacks that in his life)

Wow, it makes me glad that there's a repeat listener! Haha

Thanks for the words, Gut.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Ptenjakin

I wonder if this is really who you claim to be.

The lyrics aren't 100% to what is being sung.

I just hope it's a minor oversight on your behalf.

Good song. Powerful lyrics.

A few more instruments for depth and better backing vocals and it's a winner.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

DUN DUN DUN CONSPIRACY!

Yeah...I wrote it last night after having a quick conversation with my parents. May or may not finish it completely. Having a few friends look at it to see if they want to collaborate on it.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ptenjakin

when I was younger, my mom pushed me to learn piano and get into music.

When I was much younger, my mom pushed me to learn
To play the pianoforte until my fingers burned
But now I've grown to love it and I want to play
My songs to earn a living, my Mom says, "No way!"

Daddy says the same and they're ganging up on me
They're just jealous of my talent and the cast of 'Glee'
They dream of winning, 'Idol' - earning massive sums
With me, guitar and vocals - Mom and Dad on bass and drums

© 2012 Mcmawstech

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Mcmawstech

YES! hahahahahaha

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Hombre, you need to hang in there. we need more passionate artists like you. my parents are the exact same way. it gives me feeling when i play. defiance. use it, dude. what ever you do, don't practice then sell out.... music is a persons soul, and yours is priceless. don't forget that and you'll be big

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JamesCookieIII

Thank you.

I agree, the what makes music good and enjoyable is the meaning and emotion put into every word and note.

I want to be famous, not for the money, but because it comes with so many responsibilities being a figure in the public eye and grants me the ability and accessibility to do good things in the world.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
Like you, music is my life and has been now since I left school 31 years ago.........

Remember this.........

This is your life you are talking about, not your mom and dads...............

You only get one life, one chance..........

You are only young once........

Get whatever instrument you play, join a band or whatever you wanna do......

Get together, get a rehearsal room and practice your songs until your fingers and ears bleed.....

Go out and play gigs.....

Go to the studio and record.......

Try and get a deal.......

You may not make it to the big time, but I can assure you that they will be the best days of your life.....

The places you go, the experiences and the people you meet will be a lot more gratifying and rewarding than sitting and working behind a desk at a bank or an estate agents office........

You don't have to be rich in material wealth, it is the richness in your heart and soul of doing something that you love..........

One last thing..........

Don't grow old regretting what you should have done.......

Now is the time and the time is now........

All the best to ya.....

Davethebear

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I liked it and think you have talent.

Parents (most of them) want what's best for their children. They may not want to see you hurt or messed up like a lot of folks get in the industry. They may want something more guaranteed and secure for you. The music industry is hard to break into.

I doubt that they just want step on your dreams and grind their heels into your heart and soul. Though I could be wrong....some parents are like that. But truly, I am a parent myself and when you have kids it does change the way you see things. One day you might find that out.

We like to protect our children...sometimes too much. There are plenty of legitimate reasons they may have for not wanting you to do this that don't involve them hating you.

Either way, it is your dream and you get to choose what you want to be when you grow up. If this is important to you, just keep going for what you believe in. They will eventually come around unless they are truly cold hearted. You have to live with the choices you make. I would just like to think that they want to protect you. Sometimes that does come across differently to different people.

I liked the song at any rate.
I think you did a great job.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Ptenjakin

I surfed your channel.

Make the best of it.

You clearly have talent. Now be shrewd and attack the business end of it.

From what I've seen, you've already started.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
At the end of the day it's your life and you have a responsibility to follow your own dreams. That is what life is about , setting goals and trying to achieve them. You always hear of artists who say their parents wanted them to do something else and now look at them. In life it is better to regret the things you do than to regret the things you don't. You don't want to get to the age of 40, working in a job you hate, thinking that maybe you should have given the music a shot. If you really want it, you can be successful.

Some of your tracks are quite catchy, I would say you could do with going into a proper studio with some producers and get a solid demo together. Send it off to some artist management types in your area. Sure management will take a cut, but they will also be essential in helping an artist develop and navigate the industry.

Best of luck to you. There are plenty of ways you can make a living in the music industry, you don't have to be a top album selling artist.
edit on 20-8-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Contrary to what you might think right now, your parents want the best for you. They realize that out of the millions of "start up musicians" about 1% might actually make it. If you want them to back you on this, have a plan B. Talent alone is not enough to make it in the industry. You have to have some business sense and you have to have some backing. You will get screwed in the beginning and you have to be strong enough to overcome that.

Don't be a typical teenager who blocks out his/her parents because you think they don't "get it" they do. They were once just like you and felt the same things about their parents. (hard to believe, but true)

My advice is don't give up everything for the music. If you were meant to be in the 1%, your time will come and you will have made it. But be realistic. Good luck and I wish you all the success you deserve.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join