Exclusive: FBI probed GOP trip with drinking, nudity in Israel

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
I haven't skinny dipped in thirty years. I wouldn't want to skinny dip anymore, I don't want to gross out the fish. Skinny dipping is actually dangerous for guys, hanging a big worm out there in the lake isn't actually that smart. You never seem to think of consequences of risky behavior when you are young.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
reply to post by new_here

Why does being a dual citizen matter?

I don't know man, but it sounds an awfully lot like you have some kind of made up cleanliness laws for people's citizenship, and that isn't American.
edit on 20-8-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

Bless your heart. You assume so much. First you assume I'm a man, lol. (wrong)
Next you assume a person can pledge his allegiance to, and serve the interests of, two distinct countries simultaneously, all the while helping make the laws for one of them. Did it ever occur to you that, while voting on various bills before him, that the needs and interests of the OTHER country he has pledged to serve would just naturally be at the forefront of his mind also? I don't know, man. Maybe you have a different view of loyalty than I do. Read the first line of America's oath of citizenship and tell me if any person can honestly say this, while pledging citizenship to another country.

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen…"

Source
edit on 8/20/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

An oath is worthless to a person who is used to deceiving others. Politicians many times fit the criteria. There are good politicians but they are forced to make agreements to get their districts needs taken care of. Trouble is these needs are usually wants by a certain influential group and this is why our country is broke. I won't call it bad, I do call it screwed up though.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
See Republican’s aren’t all stuffed shirts. They know how to PART AY! They get down with it, jack! The difference... they didn't use taxpayer for it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

An oath is worthless to a person who is used to deceiving others. Politicians many times fit the criteria. There are good politicians but they are forced to make agreements to get their districts needs taken care of. Trouble is these needs are usually wants by a certain influential group and this is why our country is broke. I won't call it bad, I do call it screwed up though.

Absolutely agreed. Just pointing out the hypocritical nature of dual citizenship to another member who thought it was un-American of me to question the interests of congressmen with dual citizenship.
edit on 8/20/2012 by new_here because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

It is hard to get a person to go against his own kind. It depends on where the most allegance lies. If the allegance is high to a group than the person will deceive others to get more benefits to his group. This is evident throughout humanity. A group is not limited to a nationality or race, it can be a scientific group, a military group, a political group, farmers, etc... It is important to note that sometimes things happen in the mind that causes a person to change allegance and they start to see things and perceive things differently.

The problems we are having with the Afghan soldiers shooting our soldiers is part of this complex situation. If they start to see things happening that jeopardise their people they snap and take action against our soldiers. I'm sure this is not always premeditated, they may hear an American soldier say something and their protective instinct kicks in. What was said may not even have been bad, they just perceived it as bad.

This phenomenon is part of human nature and it is hard to tell how the person will act with multiple allegiances or "of their kind". This is why political contributions cause problems in our government, it forms allegiances.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:17 AM
link   
geez, i'm left of center, but i don't fault the repubs for letting loose once in a while...besides, after listening to their crap all those days, i would probably want a break from that grim reality

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

reply to post by buster2010

You're thinking President, not congress.

Dual citizen is not bad. Indeed, it makes your life a lot easier if you do a lot of business in that country.

Germany, Switzerland, Israel, just to name a few. Israel is not the only one, but God forbid this thread look it up.

If you do a little research you will find that dual national Israeli's are allowed to do things that other duals are not allowed to do. They are allowed to serve in a foreign military (Israels) without the loss of American citizenship they are also allowed to vote in a foreign elections which by all rights should void their citizenship. Like a Mexican American voted in Mexico's general election and was stripped of his American citizenship. Why did this man lose his citizenship but Israeli's get a free pass?

And if you are a dual national that wants to do business with that country then move back there.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

I don't really care about the lat-night partying or drinking, or the skinny-dipping in the Sea of Galilee. It's good to unwind. But I am curious about the level of influence Israel has over US lawmakers. A junket that involved more than 30 US lawmakers and the families -- who paid for it, and what were these lawmakers promising Israel? Do these lawmakers represent the United States, or do they represent Israel?

I'd generally agree save for three things:

1. Included in the group was a female daughter of one of the Congressmen, so the Rep went naked in front of her, as well as numerous female staffers.

2. These are Tea Party freshmen...you know, the faux pious religious zealots who pretend divine guidance and moral supremacy over the rest of us. Now you have them wasted and skinny dipping in one of Christianity's most sacred places. Hey, maybe next time they can have an orgy in the Church of the Holy Sepulchral!

3. This was on my dime as a taxpayer. Go get wasted on your own dime.

Like I said, were it a group of normal people, it'd not matter a bit.

edit on 20-8-2012 by pajoly because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by kat2684

I'm curious of that too OP.

What were our lawmakers doing in Israel, and did US taxpayers fund this trip? There is no real reason for us to even be there, that is the real story.

This trip is made every August. It is paid for by AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee).

reply to post by Gorman91

They were in the country on vacation.

Maybe I'm missing something, but going on vacation to a foreign county doesn't mean you're involved with the politics of that country.

GOP tend to be right wingers, right wingers tend to visit the holy land.

This was NOT a "vacation". This is said to be a "fact-finding" congressional visit. Apparently the sort of fact-finding congressional visit that involves booze and skinny-dipping. This particular trip involved 81 members of Congress. (source)

Let's keep in mind while 81 members of Congress and their families were partying in Israel courtesy of AIPAC, they were still being paid their full salaries and none of this counted against their vacation time. Just goes to show you Congress plays by a different set of rules than everyone else.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer
reply to post by kat2684

I'm curious of that too OP.

What were our lawmakers doing in Israel, and did US taxpayers fund this trip? There is no real reason for us to even be there, that is the real story.

This trip is made every August. It is paid for by AIPAC (American Israel Public Affairs Committee).

reply to post by Gorman91

They were in the country on vacation.

Maybe I'm missing something, but going on vacation to a foreign county doesn't mean you're involved with the politics of that country.

GOP tend to be right wingers, right wingers tend to visit the holy land.

This was NOT a "vacation". This is said to be a "fact-finding" congressional visit. Apparently the sort of fact-finding congressional visit that involves booze and skinny-dipping. This particular trip involved 81 members of Congress. (source)

Let's keep in mind while 81 members of Congress and their families were partying in Israel courtesy of AIPAC, they were still being paid their full salaries and none of this counted against their vacation time. Just goes to show you Congress plays by a different set of rules than everyone else.

This is the point exactly. It is not a vacation. And yes, technically they were there on our dime even though we did not buy the tickets. Can any of us grab our families for a trip and tell the boss we will be back later without repercussions. There needs to be some serious rehashing of the rules of what is allowed for our government elect to do while in office. Showing up for work should be a priority.

Since it is supposed to be a "business trip" I want to know if those pols who attended paid for their families to accompany them. If they did, I would still pissed, but not as pissed. If they did not, then the trip for the families was a gift and should have been declared as such.

Of course, in light of the behavior with the families in attendance, I kind of shudder to think what the bahavior might have been had they not been there.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by jaguarsky

That's an excellent point - since AIPAC sponsored the trip, it must be reported by any of these 81 Congress members as a "gift".

House rule 25 governs reporting rules, which, since 2008, has to be made available online.

You can look up any members reported gifts here:
Office of the Clerk - US House of Representatives
Gift and Travel Filings

Search engine here:
Office of the Clerk - US House of Representatives
Gift and Travel Filings Database

I looked up Cantor's name, since it was linked to in the article in the OP, and saw he has made MANY trips to Israel courtesy of AIPAC - here are his trips to Israel:

(The American Israel Education Foundation is part of AIPAC)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Blackmail, upcoming.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Oh Noes! Conservative members of our Goverment got drunk and ran naked into the sea! In Isreal! Clearly the nation of Isreal can corrupt anyone.

I mean, like our elected officals -never-get caught in scandals-anywhere-...am I right?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Why does being a dual citizen matter?

I don't know man, but it sounds an awfully lot like you have some kind of made up cleanliness laws for people's citizenship, and that isn't American.

A man/woman can't serve multiple master masters. If it comes down to a choice on making laws, who do they follow? The American people, American Corporations, Transnational Corporations, Israeli politicians, the UN, the IMF, etc.? Who's advice or demands provide the most weight in the decision making if US politicians have multiple masters paying them off?

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

WOW! you just seem to know everything!

idk man, drinking, partying, and skinny-dipping dont really sound like bootlicking to me.

Keep thinking what you want though

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I don't know man, the nazis seemed to all do well in our space program.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Well that's probably by chance, considering most of the other dual citizenship are in places where the US historically was the military presence, so you would join the Americans to defend your country if you were, say, in Japan.

Furthermore, what you mention for voting is also valid for the US itself.

Did you know that if I went to college in another state, regardless of the fact I've never lived there, I can vote there instantly in local elections?

I mean, if you wanted to have an influence in a place and needed to get a few thousand votes to win, all you'd have to do is change the tuition and give some scholarships to students from liberal areas. It's practically buying votes.

So as for as voting goes, you're touching on a much larger iceberg with far larger problems.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

There are 47 freshmen members scheduled to take the week-long trips, the Jerusalem Post said, and for many it will be their first time in Israel. The American Israel Education Foundation, a charity group connected with the American Israel Public Affairs Committee, is sponsoring the visits. The organization brings delegations from Congress to Israel on similar trips every other August.

I think your source made it pretty clear. While yea it's suspicious, you certainly spun it in such a way to make it seem a lot more suspicious than it is.

To my knowledge, it IS their off time, and that is separate from vacation time. Please don't spin.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

I don't see why that matters for a nation like the US, which for the most part does the same things to those nations it has a presence in. If it were seen to be done by corporations with purely monetary interests or foreign countries with ill will, then it would be a problem. But for the most part I don't much care about corporate paid vacations or foreign paid vacations.

In my book, they're not following two masters. They're taking tribute from an occupied territory. One is the master, the other the servant.

I don't find this any different than the Pharisees paying for a Roman General's food supply.

If they wish to pay tribute to their owners, by all means let them. Israel is as occupied by the US today as it was by Rome yesterday. Nothing they do goes without our word.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join