It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grammar Syntax Punctuation Language

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
is language purposely designed to impede the flow of important knowledge ?

is language purposely designed so the individual finds it difficult to express themselves with accuracy?

like the KEYBOARD was re-arranged to slow down type rates maybe language has be re-arranged for a similar purpose?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Th0r

I dont think so. Look at how many words there are in English for example. There are hundreds of thousands, and new words are always being made up to convey new meanings. Language evolves as we advance, it is a lot more complex now than ever before.

I always thought keyboards were designed to improve efficiency in typing, its a lot better using a QWERTY layout for English than an A-Z layout.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Th0r
is language purposely designed to impede the flow of important knowledge ?

I once had this exact question and thought myself, but limited to English only.
That perception changed over time. It is not the language itself that places the limitations but ourselves.
The words are there. The problem lies behind the feeling we have necessary to express those words.

Language does anything but impede knowledge, it's progresses knowledge.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
It is not the language itself that places the limitations but ourselves.
The words are there. The problem lies behind the feeling we have necessary to express those words.

of course, silly me blaming external factors ha!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Firefly_
I always thought keyboards were designed to improve efficiency in typing, its a lot better using a QWERTY layout for English than an A-Z layout.

i was told which could have been not true that the mechanical TYPE WRITERS would jam because the users were too fast so the outlay was re-arranged to make it slow as possible??

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Th0r

if you think the languages that exist impede knowledge or information,,, try starting from scratch and making your own,,, and then in 2000 years we can continue this conversation...

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaFungi
reply to post by Th0r

if you think the languages that exist impede knowledge or information,,, try starting from scratch and making your own,,, and then in 2000 years we can continue this conversation...

i'll get right to work!

gaga wawaaa gagoo

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
youre writing in english, which is probably the most expressive and varied language.
any limitations are likely down to you.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Kino321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kino321
'impede the flow of knowledge'?
youre writing in english, which is probably the most expressive and varied language.
any limitations are likely down to you.

yes thank you Kino i agree.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Th0r

i was told which could have been not true that the mechanical TYPE WRITERS would jam because the users were too fast so the outlay was re-arranged to make it slow as possible??

Well, not so much "as slow as possible" but in a configuration that would lessen the jamming. If you happen to have an old typewriter lying around (not a Selectric) you can see that the configuration of the keys is such that they really needed to be "one from this side, then one from the other side, then one from this side" rather than "three from one side all at once." That was the real impetus for the layout.

The Dvorak layout is far superior and designed for speed. But the Qwerty layout has the force of intertia. Today there is nothing technical in the way of adapting Dvorak.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

Actually, the QWERTY layout is slower than the original layout they had on typewriters. The new layout was designed so that forks would not crash into each other by having commonly used letters not grouped together and was also designed to work the fingers harder, effectively slowing us down. However, now it is the standard.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The deployment of Memetics and Symbolic Systems using grammar syntax punctuation can be used as a weapon to impede-

Yes

Throw in flashing lights musical tones, smells, colors etc and Eddie Bernays owns you.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   

reply to post by Th0r

I dont think so. Look at how many words there are in English for example. There are hundreds of thousands, and new words are always being made up to convey new meanings. Language evolves as we advance, it is a lot more complex now than ever before.

And that is the problem, it has too many words to be mastered and therefore a higher illiteracy rate.

For example, I can say

"The people that study the Earth found out that there is a huge ocean deep below the surface of the earth"

or

"Geologists discovered and enormous ocean below the crust near the mantle of The Earth".

Less people will understand the second, but everyone can understand the first sentence. So many words is actually a bad thing, it makes communication difficult for the listener - because the listener has to know all of these words - and the speaker - because the speaker needs to know exactly which word to use out of the many to choose from which has the same meaning.

This is not true; in fact, it is common knowledge that it was created to slow down typers because the machinery they used could not keep up with the speed.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I'm not sure if this is relevant to your direct question, but language has many discourses.

In academia once every field had a discourse that seemed like a coded language to outsiders.
That is especially true of texts.
Perhaps the most infamous examples would be the language of law or medicine.

People hopefully pick up expertise as they study, but what is actually meant to be picked up is a code that deliberately keeps out any outsiders, and thus discourse is also about power, and the reservation of power within a group.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
I'm not sure if this is relevant to your direct question, but language has many discourses.

In academia once every field had a discourse that seemed like a coded language to outsiders.
That is especially true of texts.
Perhaps the most infamous examples would be the language of law or medicine.

People hopefully pick up expertise as they study, but what is actually meant to be picked up is a code that deliberately keeps out any outsiders, and thus discourse is also about power, and the reservation of power within a group.

ahhhh yes awesome thank you.

top topics

join