It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill banning parents from trying to 'cure' gay kids moves forward

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
A bill that tells parents how they can and can not raise their children huh?

So this does mean that parents are not allowed to direct their child to be gay as well as strait right?

Would this make it illegal to raise your male child to be a female or vise versa?

I think the Government needs to stay out of psychology.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Some people are gay.

No one can cure your sexual orientation.

Deal with it.

BTW, I think that one sure way to screw up a kid would be to try to cure him/her of his/her sexual orientation.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

Hmm see when I was a teenage boy I dabbled in the bi-curious scene. I had my fun and expressed my self and thought I was possibly gay. Well after life happened and I grew older I found that no, no I'm not gay.

As a kid you want to explore your body and many times have different thoughts, then you may find out that it was all your hormones talking and that, that life is not for you.

It always makes me wonder, if I came out to my family and they embraced my sexuality in my teenage life, would I have still found that I am not gay or would it have molded my views to think that I am?
edit on 20-8-2012 by fallow the light because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
I'm christian. I have no opinion on homosexuality except, God said it's wrong. Haven't heard anything from the last 2 millenia indicating He changed his mind.
"Senate Bill 1172, which would prohibit all “sexual orientation change efforts” for minors, is through the legislature and slated to land on the (Ca)governor's desk in September. Proponents argue the state law would protect civil rights, pointing to studies that show kids who undergo the reparative therapy are more likely than other kids to suffer from depression, drug abuse and suicide attempts."
MSN

The Govt creating a law is WRONG in so many ways.
This reeks of UN involvement, and their plan to give children authoritative rights over their parents.

The Bill is wrong in so many ways.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by fallow the light
A bill that tells parents how they can and can not raise their children huh?

So this does mean that parents are not allowed to direct their child to be gay as well as strait right?

Would this make it illegal to raise your male child to be a female or vise versa?

I think the Government needs to stay out of psychology.
Quite a slippery slope for a bill that prevents child abuse (which is basically what this is). Anyways, this bill is a step in the right direction. Good on them.

Originally posted by macman
The Govt creating a law is WRONG in so many ways.
This reeks of UN involvement, and their plan to give children authoritative rights over their parents.

The Bill is wrong in so many ways.
Yes, the authoritative right to not be psychologically damaged by their parents. Shame on them.
edit on 20-8-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by technical difficulties
Yes, the authoritative right to not be psychologically damaged by their parents. Shame on them.
edit on 20-8-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

So, you and a handful or moronic Progressive Lawmakers get to deem what is damaging, what limits there are and what needs to be lawful and unlawful?

Yes, Shame on them and SHAME on you. You are correct in your retort, at least half way.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Can't the parents simply not allow the child to have social contacts? No law against that. Very effective too. It is much easier done than it is to detail the methodology.
edit on 20-8-2012 by davidmann because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by macman
So, you and a handful or moronic Progressive Lawmakers get to deem what is damaging, what limits there are and what needs to be lawful and unlawful?

Up here we have Children's Aid...I'm sure you have an equivalent...and that's exactly what their role is. To enforce societal laws regarding children. In fact, they have greater enforcement powers than cops. And in the courts, children can be assigned advocates if the parents do not appear to be acting in the best interests of the child.

If you think you get to set the rules yourself...you're kidding yourself. And frankly, a daily read of any newspaper just reinforces the need for kids to be protected. Even from self-professed Christians.
edit on 20-8-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Reply to post by GoldenRuled

You also haven't heard anything in the last two millenia that would suggest he exists, so try not to justify calling someone else's born-sexuality wrong just because something you are not sure exists apparently said so, in a book written by a few men, and edited by many rooms full of powerful men.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

Actually science says it's harmful. There are numerous articles out there that have found conversion therapy is not only ineffective by harmful. Due to the studies a number of professional organizations, including the AMA and APA, have stated that they do not support the practice of conversion therapy.

Therapeutic Antidotes: Helping Gay and Bisexual Men Recover from Conversion Therapies
Changing sexual orientation: A consumers' report
American Psychological Association
edit on 8/20/2012 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
It doesn't cover the same thing done from the other direction...does it? (cut for space)

That's a fair point but, statistically, in America how likely is this to happen compared to it the other way around? I'm not disputing the fact that your apocryphal scenario happens but for every time that happens, how many times is young Randy getting a whupping from Pa's belt for being a sissy?

You hit the real nail of discontent on this whole issue, IMO. You acknowledge my fair point (which I appreciate BTW) and go on to make a very fair point yourself. Depending largely on intent by the logic used to get there, both sides are right on this debate. ....and both sides are wrong.

In my own position, I've explained a lot about how I feel I'm right in blocking any such law. Largely, it really is about Rights and the absolute ability to live without Government intrusion into every aspect of the activity occurring within my own 4 walls. That is what this goes to the heart of....

At the same time....My position does allow the wrongs of the radical, hateful right wing, which I'll never deny there is a measurable number, from being outright destructive to their own children for a change in the course of their development. (Thats the fairest way I CAN put it...as I consider my own Son may have..or how do I know? may be.. and slamming doors is a bad thing eh?)

You know the thing here tho.... At least in the United States, and it does make us a bit unique, is that when a question of rights and a question of public good (not safety..but public welfare in a general way) is in direct conflict, the Rights are almost always the side to prevail.......lest any case based on good ideas forms the legal theory of the next BAD case using the same precedent of logic. Careful what you wish for...in the real world sense.

So..While I can see your point (And everyone's...which is why I took a moment for this reply) Well... slippery slopes aren't imaginary, as we've seen some issues go sliding right on down at light speed in the last 10-15 years. The less we ever tread on rights, the better the nation is for the long term, IMO.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

You know what else God has said is wrong?

1. Eating Ham/Pork

2. Tattoos

3. Cutting the corners of your hair/sides of your beard.

4. A man with injured, or missing, genitals, entering a church

5. Consulting Psychics or fortune telling of any form

6. Gossiping about anyone

7. Wives assisting husbands in fights

8. Children cursing at their parents

9. Getting married a second time (after getting a divorce)

10. Working on Saturday (the Sabbath)

11. Women speaking in the house of God

12. Eating any type of "bottom feeding" seafood - shrimp/lobster/crabs/etc

13. Losing your virginity prior to being married.

www.huffingtonpost.com...=655873

This is a short list too, i know there's more!

So OP - are you actively pushing forward mandates regarding the above items, or do you like your bacon too much? If the latter is true, then kindly shut up about the topic you brought up - you zealous hypocrite.

edit on 20-8-2012 by Evil_Santa because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
I just wanted to state that as proof of god being against gays didnt he destroy sodom and gomorrah? Also, before you fly off the handle at me i have a gay friend, so no im not anti gay, but if my son starts so show signs of homosexuality i will do everything in my power to steer him away from it. If other people want to have gay relationships thats fine, its their life and they will answer to god for it, but i will make sure my son understands our religions take on it. And as a parent that is my right. thank god i live in canada where we have freedom lol.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by kronix

You can't change a person's sexuality. Only in exceedingly rare cases does conversion therapy work. In most cases it just leads to a life of low self-esteem and depression.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Up here we have Children's Aid...I'm sure you have an equivalent...and that's exactly what their role is. To enforce societal laws regarding children. In fact, they have greater enforcement powers than cops. And in the courts, children can be assigned advocates if the parents do not appear to be acting in the best interests of the child.

If you think you get to set the rules yourself...you're kidding yourself. And frankly, a daily read of any newspaper just reinforces the need for kids to be protected. Even from self-professed Christians.
edit on 20-8-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

I am well aware of the Progressive liberal crap that the Canadian Govt pushes in regards to kids.
I do love the fact that teens can get the Govt to back them to move out of the home, and force the parents to pay their rent and so on.
I also love the fact that you think the Govt should have the power to "Protect " all the little children from the mean parents and evil parents.

Nothing like having the Govt tell you what you can and can't do in regards to YOUR OWN KIDS.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254
reply to post by macman

Actually science says it's harmful. There are numerous articles out there that have found conversion therapy is not only ineffective by harmful. Due to the studies a number of professional organizations, including the AMA and APA, have stated that they do not support the practice of conversion therapy.

Therapeutic Antidotes: Helping Gay and Bisexual Men Recover from Conversion Therapies
Changing sexual orientation: A consumers' report
American Psychological Association
edit on 8/20/2012 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

I don't need society to tell me what is bad, and what is not.
This is about as leftist progressive as it gets.
The next step is honestly, to force those that don't follow the large amount of one religion, because after all, some Freud want to be shrink thinks it is bad for the psyche of a kid.

Freedoms be damned, because someone said it hurt anothers feelings.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

edit on 8/21/2012 by maddog99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I could have swore my kids were my kids and not the governments kids.
Seems to me that I have a right to deter my kids from becoming homosexual. This gives the homosexuals more rights than parents in my eyes. We have the right to keep our kids from hanging out with whomever we chose. I see a problem brewing in the future here guys, although I have nothing against homosexuals and have a few friends that have been homosexuals through the years, I am seeing some of them trying to pass legislation allowing their numbers to expand and gaining power in our society. This is not good for their survival, sooner or later there is going to be trouble in mass to get rid of them. This has happened in history and may be the basis of religions not liking the group. Maybe the conservative gay people should suppress their own radical wing.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

It's not about hurting someone's feelings. It's about causing livelong mental trauma. Conversion therapy, among other things, leads to a significant increase in the incidence of depression. Your freedoms end the second they start infringing on another person's freedoms. Let me ask a serious question here. Do you think it should be legal for parents to beat their children?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Is it wrong to want your genetic line to continue? Is it wrong for a parent to want to have grandchildren? If I had a son and he was gay and never had a kid, my genetic line would be jeopardized. My brothers son is the last leg of our male genetic line for our family, if he does not have a boy the male line dies. Don't we have a right to steer him?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join