It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill banning parents from trying to 'cure' gay kids moves forward

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I'm christian. I have no opinion on homosexuality except, God said it's wrong. Haven't heard anything from the last 2 millenia indicating He changed his mind.
"Senate Bill 1172, which would prohibit all “sexual orientation change efforts” for minors, is through the legislature and slated to land on the (Ca)governor's desk in September. Proponents argue the state law would protect civil rights, pointing to studies that show kids who undergo the reparative therapy are more likely than other kids to suffer from depression, drug abuse and suicide attempts."
MSN

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
This topic is just a giant pinball machine

+16 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GoldenRuled

Did God himself tell you it is wrong? Or did you read it in an irrelevant, outdated, and heavily edited book with no surviving originals, which enforces a warped morality on the ignorant?

That law is a good thing IMO, it stops idiots who believe in ridiculous fairy stories ruining the lives of people who only want to be what they were born to be.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Firefly_ because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenRuled
I'm christian. I have no opinion on homosexuality except, God said it's wrong. [/url]

Your God says a lot of stuff and says a lot of stuff is also wrong. I don't see too many people getting as het-up about people wearing mixed fibres and eating shell-fish as they do homosexuality, which leads me to think that people have an extra non-biblical prejudice about homosexuality and biblical arguments are suspicious in their selectiveness.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

As unfortunate as it is, I can spend about five minutes on the Google dredging up similar "reports", from the past, couched as scientific research, providing the excuses to commit horrendous wrongs to just about every race and creed on the planet.

Eugenics is nothing new... just gets aimed at different targets.

For the record, in my eyes, God told me to "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" so I err on the side of empathy most often. Or I try to at least.

Just my .02 cents.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think the bible says you're supposed to kill gay people:

"Lev. 20:13, "If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death."

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Uhm….I think therapy for sexual orientation is a bit strange. I wonder what the success rate is????

I feel that a child legally deemed a MINOR and in the custody of his/her parents should do what the parents decide. The parents should be allowed to send them to therapy and do what THEY feel is the right thing for their child until that child is of age to make his/her own decisions.

Whether I agree or not I firmly believe this is a state’s rights issue because the constitution does not address parental issues or ‘age of consent’ issues. If the people of Cali want to pass this law – so be it! I don’t think this is a civil rights issue any more than prohibiting children from drinking, smoking, driving, working certain dangerous jobs, etc would be. This is just another attempt to push the gay agenda at all costs IMO.

What a shock this is happening in CA!!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
The bible says I can take foreigners and sell them as slaves. When I was in London during the Olympics, I should have trawled the Tube with a big net looking for right-wing Christian Americans. The bible says I can beat them as hard as I like as long as I don't kill them and still get a big Almighty thumbs-up! The best part is they'd even have to respect me for it!

Christians who are slaves should give their masters full respect so that the name of God and his teaching will not be shamed. If your master is a Christian, that is no excuse for being disrespectful. You should work all the harder because you are helping another believer by your efforts. Teach these truths, Timothy, and encourage everyone to obey them. (1 Timothy 6:1-2)

Maybe society should introduce the same kind of retarded ploys that have been used in the past to 'cure' homosexuality (hydrotherapy &c) on the kinds of people who think homosexuality is something that needs to be cured.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

I'm christian. I have no opinion on homosexuality except, God said it's wrong.

Here is something else your God said.....

“If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and, though they discipline him, will not listen to them, then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city at the gate of the place where he lives, and they shall say to the elders of his city, ‘This our son is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.’ Then all the men of the city shall stone him to death with stones.

Naughty Children - You have been warned.

edit on 19-8-2012 by Pedro4077 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
My fellow Californians and my fellow Americans are all of their rockers. Get with it people. Who cares what gays are doing and the more attention you pay to it, the bigger deal they're gonna make of it. Whatever you resist, persists. Simple really.

Let them be and see that it won't be so bad. They're never gonna make up a huge proportion of the population. Gays have been around forever and never have they become "mainsteam". Think about it? How many gay friends do you have compared to straight friends? I bet you the number is heavily weighing on one side.

If you believe so strongly that god deems it wrong then I'm also assuming that you're one of those that believes we must come face to face with god to be judged. So why are you worrying? Do you not believe that god will judge them accordingly or is it that you're just not quite too sure about your god? It seems to me that your faith in god that you claim so proudly and loudly isn't really faith. If it was then you'd be worrying about setting yourself straight and not worrying about the rest. The rest will follow or they won't, either way, it's not your job to "fix" them.

I definitely agree there's an agenda being played and I definitely think there are sinister and nefarious forces behind it but lately I've come to the conclusion that it's only gotten so big because of the opposition to it. If the forces behind it would have seen that the people hardly flinched but didn't outright accept what they were putting out, I bet you they would have moved on quickly to the next thing.

There would most likely be a campaign against guys who don't watch chick flicks. And chick flicks would be playing all over tv. And commercials saying chick flicks have a right to exist. And Disney would come out in favor of chick flicks. And all the dudes would be like, ahhhhh I hate chick flicks! We need to protest to make them stop!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Oh.. I see..... So, when they say all kinds, they surely mean a Gay couple raising a straight child and pressure for the child to 'explore'...and 'experiment'...and 'don't be closed minded or bigoted'.. All that is covered in attempted to coerce a child too, right?

Oh... Of course.. This is just ONE side of trying to mold a child's mind to an agenda, huh? It doesn't cover the same thing done from the other direction...does it? I'm betting cash money it doesn't.

My son is being raised with an open mind in Religion and his internal feelings of sexuality, as that develops in time. So, it isn't that I'd ever be one of the parents this bill is directed toward. However...having said that?

Government, whether it be state or federal, can kindly get the hell out of my raising of my own children and they can do it any time now. Quite some time ago would have been just fine by my thinking, actually. Government *IS NOT* Mother, they are *NOT* Father. They can stick that crap so far up their legislative tail pipes that they sneeze confetti!
edit on 19-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Oh.. I see..... So, when they say all kinds, they surely mean a Gay couple raising a straight child and pressure for the child to 'explore'...and 'experiment'...and 'don't be closed minded or bigoted'.. All that is covered in attempted to coerce a child too, right?

That's a ridiculous statement. For starters, the former 'example' has nothing to do with the latter. Secondly, I'd say most gays likely hope their kids are straight, simply because it assures them a degree of protection from morons who are afraid of some Great Gay Agenda to make the world all queer. In short, they would wish an easier life upon their kids.

Gawd!!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

That's a ridiculous statement. For starters, the former 'example' has nothing to do with the latter. Secondly, I'd say most gays likely hope their kids are straight, simply because it assures them a degree of protection from morons who are afraid of some Great Gay Agenda to make the world all queer. In short, they would wish an easier life upon their kids.

Gawd!!

Uh Oh..... You'd "Say most gays likely hope their kids are straight.........." Who would be generalizing now? I'm not Anti-Gay, not in the least. Don't make being Gay a part of MY life, and I have absolutely no business whatsoever with what anyone else does. I have no desire to seek out or put the least bit of effort into being anything but civil and even friendly to gays I even come to learn somehow are. I think the point really is...I should never know any more than they could know I'm not...but that's a different thread.

In terms of raising kids and being told in yet another way how and why I can do something in relation to that, I simply have no tolerance for Uncle sticking his nose into my business as a Parent.

It's NONE of their business unless something I do brings INJURY ...not just opinion or a political view point others disagree with or even hate... but outright INJURY to my child in some way. Other nations may be wide open to meddling in the lives of citizens strictly on the thoughts they have and choose to share.

This one isn't.. California and a couple other states are pushing agendas clear into areas Government has no business being....REGARDLESS of the reason or cause for going there. Just my thoughts.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Gawd!!

Uh Oh..... You'd "Say most gays likely hope their kids are straight.........." Who would be generalizing now?
Guilty as charged. Why? I'm not gay and to try and get all authoritative would be something called 'appropriation of voice'. I don't do that.

So I speak from (my idea of) common sense rather than from personal experience. One thing I can say, though, is that not all injury is physical and THAT is the basis of this bill.
edit on 19-8-2012 by JohnnyCanuck because: ...just because, eh?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Fair enough and I guess the toughest thing here is that we're both sure we're right but we're also both coming from positions of personal principle...which isn't likely to change. I'm certainly willing to conceded we aren't going to find agreement here but nothing disagreeable about it either.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
First you are never going to cure a gay(or Bi) person.

A gay teen may seem to go straight till they turn 18 and leave home and stay in the closet for years. but they are still gay(or BI )

Therapy for sexual orientation(Conversion therapy) is a bit strange.

Ethical practitioners refrain from attempts to change individuals' sexual orientation."[6] Psychologist Douglas Haldeman writes that conversion therapy comprises efforts by mental health professionals and pastoral care providers to convert lesbians and gay men to heterosexuality by techniques including aversive treatments, such as "the application of electric shock to the hands and/or genitals," and "nausea-inducing drugs...administered simultaneously with the presentation of homoerotic stimuli," masturbatory reconditioning, visualization, social skills training, psychoanalytic therapy, and spiritual interventions, such as "prayer and group support and pressure."[7] NARTH repudiates aversive techniques and stresses therapeutic efforts toward growing more fully into what it considers one's biologically appropriate gender identity.[8]

en.wikipedia.org...

What type of therapy would work short of out and out child abuse..

Even drug or aversion therapy would be abuse.

And all they would do would be to teach the child to hide that they are gay until they turned 18.

this is one bill i agree with.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
pretty sure Jesus was against inflicting life long mental damage to your child based on your interpretation of his 'word'.

As someone who has lived through religious attempts to 'alter' my sexuality, I can say this is a good step to protect children and send a message that sexual orientation isnt something that can be forced to change, or even willingly change.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   

Oh... Of course.. This is just ONE side of trying to mold a child's mind to an agenda, huh? It doesn't cover the same thing done from the other direction...does it? I'm betting cash money it doesn't.

That's a fair point but, statistically, in America how likely is this to happen compared to it the other way around? I'm not disputing the fact that your apocryphal scenario happens but for every time that happens, how many times is young Randy getting a whupping from Pa's belt for being a sissy?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Uhm….I think therapy for sexual orientation is a bit strange. I wonder what the success rate is????

I feel that a child legally deemed a MINOR and in the custody of his/her parents should do what the parents decide. The parents should be allowed to send them to therapy and do what THEY feel is the right thing for their child until that child is of age to make his/her own decisions.

Whether I agree or not I firmly believe this is a state’s rights issue because the constitution does not address parental issues or ‘age of consent’ issues. If the people of Cali want to pass this law – so be it! I don’t think this is a civil rights issue any more than prohibiting children from drinking, smoking, driving, working certain dangerous jobs, etc would be. This is just another attempt to push the gay agenda at all costs IMO.

What a shock this is happening in CA!!

There is no success rate. It just makes the kids go into denial, deep depression, and become unstable. Just look at Michele Bachmann's husband.

Trying to change someone's sexual orientation is like try to change someone's skin color. You can't because it is a natural state that they were born with.

Parents sending their kids to straight camps should be arrested and charged with severe child abuse.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I don't even see this legislation as being pro-gay. I see it as anti-quackery and anti-child abuse. There is no legitimate research in the literature that shows conversion therapy works. On the other hand there are a number of studies that show conversion therapy is harmful to those that undergo it. So it shouldn't even matter if you believe homosexuality is a sin, evil, unnatural, etc. You should support this legislation because it prevents people from cashing in on mentally torturing children.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join