It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palm Scanners To Pay For Lunch At Louisiana Elementary School

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
If you pack the lunch, does the child still get scanned?

If not, then not a worry, yet.

If so, then homeschool.

2 cents

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
So now we have kids being scanned for lunch. Nice.

That's not new. When I was in elementary school, we each had a pin number for lunch. We would go through the line, getting what we want. At the end of the line, we would enter our pin number and the lunch lady would enter into the machine what I got....

That machine would take money out of my set up lunch account to pay for my lunch.

This hand scanner thing just reminds me of that...

For what that may be worth

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

What a goof that prinicple is. Acting as if it's perfectly okay. If they want to speed up the lunch line get a second or 3rd person at checkout. Or use the same system but just tag it to the kids school ID card. So they swipe the kids school ID and it records it for that date as a lunch taken out. Just as fast or faster than a palm scanner. The palm scanner is scanning the finger prints and sending them direct to the g--v so they have your kids prints on record. They're basically now in the system, basically criminials without even having been charged. Ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by jude11
So now we have kids being scanned for lunch. Nice.

That's not new. When I was in elementary school, we each had a pin number for lunch. We would go through the line, getting what we want. At the end of the line, we would enter our pin number and the lunch lady would enter into the machine what I got....

That machine would take money out of my set up lunch account to pay for my lunch.

This hand scanner thing just reminds me of that...

For what that may be worth

Pin numbers are one thing...Print scans are quite another.

Peace

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Kids would get through line faster if they didn't serve themselves as you can see in that video. Also when I was in school lunch had one set price so there were no pricing errors.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
My sons school do a similar thing, although it is a thumb print they use not the whole palm.

My my son started senior school they used a swipe card. Then last year (And without informing the parents) they started this new system with the thumb print scanners. Some of us argued against it when it was introduced, but the vast majority did not care.

The schools argument, and it is somewhat valid, was that the children often forgot to bring their card or would misplace/lose them. This created several problems, normally the child would not realise they didn't have their card until the lunch break and would have to go to the main reception to get things sorted out before they could eat, and in a school of 760 children and only an hour for lunch this could, and often did, present problems, or the child would just not bother going for lunch at all, again not an ideal situation. Then there was the cost of the actual cards themselves, the education department here in the UK is under a lot of pressure to make savings with cuts and freezes on recruitment etc.

I can not say I am happy with it, but it has been introduced to all the schools in my area have adopted this so it is not as though I can change their school, and besides the one they are at is the highest achiever academically and I would be reluctant to move them due to that. The school have assured in writing that the records will be destroyed when they leave school (the ID information, obviously not their academic record) and we have little recourse but to accept it.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I would not sign my children up for this. For lunch in our school district, each child has an account (their student ID is the account #), and the card is kept in the classroom (elementary school). They take it from the class to the lunch line. Most of the kids are on free or reduced price lunches and breakfasts in our school - our children are not, so I send in a check when I want them to get a hot lunch at school, the money goes into their accounts, and when the funds get low - the school sends a letter home, if they are at a negative balance, they get 1 lunch that day, and jelly sandwiches every day after, until you pay it back.

At the older levels, where the child would be responsible for the lunch card, isn't it ideal for them to be responsible for bringing it? If a teenager spends all his/her lunch service fixing the mess because he forgot his card; I bet they will soon remember to start bringing it, at least if they get hungry enough)

I see this palm scanning device as another way to take responsibility chances out of the hands of our future generations. They already don't have to remember phone numbers anymore! Just another way of dumbing down the masses, I'm thinking that Mrs. Iserbyt was right.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
HAHA i was about to post this with the whole mark of the beast thing. Absolutely ridiculous!!! Everything is the mark of the beast these days. I dont know how these people even make it on the news... pft

You're laughing now, you'll be screaming later.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Spoken like someone who doesn't know what an over burdened, poverty stricken school system is like.

If this was your normal, middle class sized elementary school, I would say you had a point. But it isn't.

First off, an elementary school with 1000 children is enormous.

The average elementary school in my state is just half that.

The average population of an elementary school in Lousiana is 460.

LA has some of the poorest school systems in the country. A few hundred thousand would mean the difference between keeping the music programs, or not.

This scanner would also protect kids from being singled out for state subsidized lunches.

And yes, to correct money mistakes, does cost a lot of money in the government. For my local government to issue a refund check to someone, it would cost on average $75 bucks to the county to print that check. Most of those are adminitrative costs.

This could probably also help the school to see who is eating and who isn't.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

It prevents deception.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
If you pack the lunch, does the child still get scanned?

If not, then not a worry, yet.

If so, then homeschool.

2 cents

The day is coming where kids will not be able o even bring their own lunches. Everything is going into the system. Those biometric chip implants being developed will have all your information like social security number, bank account, driver's license etc., the chip implants will be powered by our own bodies, and the scientists developing the biometric chips have already determined the best source of body heat (energy) to place them next to is the forehead or hand. Cashless society is already in the works, some european countries are already field testing it. Debit cards and credit cards were part of the developmental process. Some businesses will not even take cash or checks anymore and the U.S. government has ordered the monitoring of people who only pay with cash for "terrorism". "They" are tightening the noose more and more everyday. There will be a day when people throw their paper bills in the streets because they will be worthless (paper bills already are worthless, the trick was getting people to trade their gold and silver for worthless paper).

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Beside the reason that those scanners will be a breeding ground for all kind of bacteria (situated next to food, keep in mind), what happened to the good old cantine women (or even men)??

Wouldn´t it provide more jobs in general?
I see a tendency and it goes like this:

In future, things like this will be automated. Fresh, tasty pre-cooked vacinated food from a machine. You do not even have to place an order. Just sit down and wait for the meal to come. Iris scanner will know who you are and whats best for you.

Ok, maybe its a bit blown up but imagine it kind of like the animated movie with the generational ship and its lethargic cargo.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by verschickter

Nothing carries more bacteria than money.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Okay, you may be right with that but on transaction, only two will hand the money, not the other 839 kids that would have their palm on the scanner. Know what I mean?

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
This is all bad! Several points, and reasons I would never, EVER, allow my children to participate in such a program:

1. This records the palm of every student, placing them in the system. So, kids that have done nothing wrong are now able to be identified by their palm print, same as we use fingerprints to ID criminals. Claims the data will be erased are simply claims. Does anyone actually believe that this would happen, and that the government would not use this data for their own purposes?

2. This treats the children like cattle. Scan before food. Moo, moo. Yes, it does in fact program them to accept this sort of thing, and thus make them more likely (along with consenting parents) to accept more intrusive sorts of identification, more reasons for scanning, etc.

3. ANY sort of system that is tracking what the students purchase is flat out WRONG. What they eat should be between them and their parents. If they don't eat, how is scanning a palm going to change that? They could be scanned and still not eat. Nor would this assure that they have healthy choices, which, again, is between them and their parents.

4. They talk of saving time, and we see children serving their own meals. What happened to the lunch ladies (or men)? How is it sanitary and efficient for the kids to serve their own food? How is an expensive scanner (and surely expensive storage system, programs, etc) more "cost efficient" than simply having them pay as they go? That is what WE did! No one cared if someone got a free lunch, either. Put back the meal servers, and collect the lunch money daily.

5. I don't like the idea of a PIN, or some other tracking system, any better than this. it's ALL about making people used to being controlled. Mark of the beast? Not this, no, but a precursor? Maybe. Certainly a precursor to more anti-personal-freedom nonsense. Please note the one person that stated how ALL the schools where she is did something she didn't like, so that she had no choice. Does anyone think, if they get away with this here, in that school, it won't spread?

6. Someone stated that bag lunches would be prohibited, but they already HAVE BEEN some places!
yes, this is real
One child was even told to eat chicken nuggets for lunch, because the school Nazis decided his lunch from home wasn't "healthy" enough!
how ridiculous is this??

So, yes, they want to monitor and control everything your children do, including what they eat. How long before we get what some hae in the UK, and have cameras IN OUR HOMES?
yes, also real

They are boiling us like frogs, people, a little degree increase at a time.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join