It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Comparing basic Food and Staple Prices around the world.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I thought it would be interesting to compare basic food prices around the world as they are talking doom and gloom with all the droughts and wild fires here in North America, Russia , and so on.
What kicked off this idea was this morning during my morning news fix here on line I read a couple of articles that stated the USA had asked for grain imports from Russia.
Now to me this seemed a bit backwards as I always thought the US was an exporter of grains to a lot of countries.

We live in Southern Ontario and it is very common to see Russian freighters here in our harbour loading up with corn and grain....etc.
If they actually start delivering it instead of taking it, this would be a first for us here.

So I compiled a list of basic foods and their prices here to see what others pay.
These food items are listed at regular prices and not on "Sale"
I tried to keep it simple and I know basics around the world are very different but I hope lots of people add to this as they see fit.

I did not include fresh produce as in tomatoes, potatoes, etc because they are in season throughout the world at different times and it would get confusing to say the least...

For example right now you can buy fresh field tomatoes for a song and dance but come winter you will pay big time for a mushy red blob that is tasteless.

My major concern is the grains and the animals they feed so that is why my list is what it is.

To the Mods I thought this was the most appropriate Forum for this thread as it revolves around the Semi global drought and what may be to come in the near future.

I thought this could be a good reference in about 6 months or even a year and If I am able I will resurrect this thread at that time to compare price now and then...

Here are a few links that got me thinking today.....

www.kyivpost.com...

templestream.blogspot.ca...

theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...

www.thehindubusinessline.com...

I apologize for listing some items in metric and some in Imperial weights but that is what we have to deal with here because of "Free Trade"

I hope lots of people chime in with some prices of what they pay now and we can check back in 6 months or a year and read what happened.

I said it above but I will repeat myself here we are in Ontario Canada and our dollar is the same as the US and Australian dollar.

Here is our list of what we could construct of some basic foods and their cost as of today.....

Butter (1 lb) $4.39
Becel Margarine "oleo" (1 lb tub) $3.27
Vegetable Oil (3 L) $6.99
Milk 1% (4 L bag) $4.99
Bread Whole Wheat $2.99
Sugar 2 kg (5 lb) $2.49
X-large eggs (doz) $3.49
Flour reg all purpose (5 lbs) $7.99
Florida orange juice (1.79 L) $3.99
Sockeye Salmon (213 gm can) $3.99
Inside round roast $6.79/lb
Extra lean ground beef $5.19/lb
Bacon (1 lb package) $5.99
Maxwell House ground coffee (1 kg) $10.49
Regular Oatmeal (1 kg bag) $3.49
Special K cereal (475 gm box) $4.99
Raisin Bran (625 gm box) $4.99
Oatmeal Crisp Cereal (475 gm box) $4.99
Kraft Peanut Butter (1 kg jar) $6.99
Sunlight dish soap (950 ml) $2.29
Sunlight laundry soap he (1.47 L) $6.97
Scott paper towels (6 rolls) $7.99
Scott toilet paper (12 rolls) $11.59

To all posters it would be helpful to say where you live and post prices that are not "on sale" just what you would normally pay for your groceries/ supplies.

My personal thoughts on this are mixed, our local corn this year is terrible in quality compared to years gone by and I think a lot of corn is going to the ethanol refineries instead of the table to eat.

Is the grain/wheat crop really that bad as they say?......After reading many news links on the condition of crops around the world from drought to floods, my guess is on the side of very possible.

Then again remember the rice shortage a couple of years ago with everyone screaming and hording rice?
I don't know for sure here but a shortage of grain here in North America is of great concern if you like bread, beef, pork, chicken. eggs, milk etc......

Regards, Iwinder

edit on 19-8-2012 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Here is a tip for you buddy.
I also live in Ontario and anytime I go for groceries,whether I am just grabbing dinner or there to just browse,stock up on canned food that is on sale.
My cupboards are stocked....get it while the getting is good,don't wait for an emergency.

3 bucks for 2 big cans of apple juice is a good deal...shop around and spend wisely.

I knew food prices were going to rise which is why I have taken the approach I have.

The price of toilet paper and paper towels is a bit too steep for my cheap ass.

edit on 19-8-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
reply to post by Iwinder

Here is a tip for you buddy.
I also live in Ontario and anytime I go for groceries,whether I am just grabbing dinner or there to just browse,stock up on canned food that is on sale.
My cupboards are stocked....get it while the getting is good,don't wait for an emergency.

3 bucks for 2 big cans of apple juice is a good deal...shop around and spend wisely.

I knew food prices were going to rise which is why I have taken the approach I have.

The price of toilet paper and paper towels is a bit too steep for my cheap ass.

edit on 19-8-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

Yep we have many supplies tucked into our basement but if the grain dries up good luck next year I think?

Your sorry ass is of no worry to us here, we saved every newspaper we read for the last 2 years

Thanks for your addition to this thread.
Regards, iwinder

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
My budget is about $80.00 (US)... what should I buy that will last a few weeks?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ReadyPower

Lottery Tickets??

I'm sorry... I just can't imagine $80 right now. We're working with a bit over $500 in how we have the month worked out...and that just barely makes it for 2 adults and a child. Oh... just a year ago, it got a measurably larger bit in my cart. Now? Well... I'm sure hoping for a little change at the grocery check-out, eh?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
My budget is about $80.00 (US)... what should I buy that will last a few weeks?

Nothing I can do to help you there, I am asking people to add their basic food costs to my list and I hope to compare it later on, about 6 months in time and then again in a years time.....
I think if you really need to buy stuff go for canned goods, beans were mentioned in the post above this one.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
just read through your list using a currency converter (im from UK)

and all adds up just about the same giveor take a few pence/cents

except
washing powder (dont know that brand here)

and....

toilet paper/kitchen towls
either you buy triple quilted or i buy sandpaper

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

If you got a cool and slightly damp dark place to store it, buying a bushel of potatoes is a good survival food. Most people can eat potatoes and at about fifteen dollars a bushel they last a long time. If they start to sprout, stick them in a flower pot or bucket and cover with soil or straw and you get more potatoes in a few months. Even the peels can be planted if they aren't full of antisprouting agents. It is important to rotate them, eating them regularly then replacing them. Buying more than you can use before spoiling at a time can be wasteful. I don't like wasting food.

Canned veggies are cheap and stuff like armour treet, canned salmon, tuna, canned chicken, and things like that are good cheap meats. Don't forget the miracle whip. There are always canned stews on sale too but I get sick of those quickly. If done right it adds up to about three bucks a day per person to have plenty. A variety is good and a better planned treat once a week is advised.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Insearchofthetruth1987
just read through your list using a currency converter (im from UK)

and all adds up just about the same giveor take a few pence/cents

except
washing powder (dont know that brand here)

and....

toilet paper/kitchen towls
either you buy triple quilted or i buy sandpaper

Thank you for your response to my thread, you are exactly what I was looking for as in prices from around the world......
I truly hope to get more of these from everywhere on the globe.
No matter where you live folks please add to the thread here as this is a research thread and will be re-visited in 6 months time and then a years time.....
In response to your toilet kitchen towel question we only buy the medium stuff here so no triple quilted......good to know for future reference.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Lottery Tickets??

I'm sorry... I just can't imagine $80 right now. We're working with a bit over $500 in how we have the month worked out...and that just barely makes it for 2 adults and a child. Oh... just a year ago, it got a measurably larger bit in my cart. Now? Well... I'm sure hoping for a little change at the grocery check-out, eh?

Where are you located Wrabbit? do any of our prices here seem out of whack or if you can please add some of your own for comparison.

I hear what you are saying and we here are a little bit better off for our monthly budget for food and sundries but not by much by any means....

I am not fear mongering but if a loaf of bread starts hitting 5/ 6 bucks a loaf we will be in trouble here as well....
Thanks for chiming in here.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse

If you got a cool and slightly damp dark place to store it, buying a bushel of potatoes is a good survival food. Most people can eat potatoes and at about fifteen dollars a bushel they last a long time. If they start to sprout, stick them in a flower pot or bucket and cover with soil or straw and you get more potatoes in a few months. Even the peels can be planted if they aren't full of antisprouting agents. It is important to rotate them, eating them regularly then replacing them. Buying more than you can use before spoiling at a time can be wasteful. I don't like wasting food.

Canned veggies are cheap and stuff like armour treet, canned salmon, tuna, canned chicken, and things like that are good cheap meats. Don't forget the miracle whip. There are always canned stews on sale too but I get sick of those quickly. If done right it adds up to about three bucks a day per person to have plenty. A variety is good and a better planned treat once a week is advised.

Good point and when I was a kid we had a fruit cellar and my dad always bought the big 75/100 pound bags of potatoes right from the farmer and they lasted us from fall till early summer for a family of four......

Where are you located and do you have any prices to compare to my list or add to the list?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
So I've priced up most stuff here in NZ - converted to US$ below.

Butter (1 lb) $4.84
Becel Margarine "oleo" (1 lb tub) $4.59
Vegetable Oil (3 L) $9.69
Milk 1% (4 L bag) $6.06
Bread Whole Wheat $3.87
Sugar 2 kg (5 lb) $4.00
X-large eggs (doz) $3.47
Flour reg all purpose (5 lbs) $4.68 (2kg - Plain flour)
Sockeye Salmon (213 gm can) $5.84
Extra lean ground beef $11.31/kg
Bacon (1 lb package) $6.90 500gms
Maxwell House ground coffee (1 kg) $10.49 (same price)
Regular Oatmeal (1 kg bag) $2.42
Special K cereal (475 gm box) $6.29 (535gm box)
Kraft Peanut Butter (1 kg jar) - Eta 1kg $8.52, homebrand 1kg $5.85
Sunlight dish soap (950 ml) - 750ml $3.03
Sunlight laundry soap he (1.47 L) - 1l $5.77
Scott paper towels - $2.66 (2pk)
Scott toilet paper (12 rolls) $5.64 (are yours gold plated? lol)

The future of food prices is really concerning - I'm about to embark on a Mormon* style food storage mission - rice, wheat, cooking oil, sugar and salt are first on my list - then I'll add to it from there. Rice is very cheap (at the moment) and easy to store, as is dried pasta. 500gm of spaghetti pasta can be as little as $0.80 - one packet with veges / home made sauce etc feeds my family for dinner - $100 worth would give us a over 100 days of one main meal and could be stored in one storage bin - not a lot of space required for that. Of course we have gardens / orchard as well - but it's weather that is an issue here - crops were terrible last spring / summer and then we had a glorious late autumn but by then most stuff had perished or been ripped out for winter crops.

*We're not religious at all - but have found the Mormon storage websites to be really interesting and pretty on to it when it comes to storing large amounts of food long term. Not wanting to derail the thread but would certainly be interested in other sites that people are looking at??
edit on 19-8-2012 by Evltre because: spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evltre

Butter (1 lb) $4.84
Milk 1% (4 L bag) $6.06
Bread Whole Wheat $3.87
Sugar 2 kg (5 lb) $4.00
X-large eggs (doz) $3.47

The future of food prices is really concerning - I'm about to embark on a Mormon* style food storage mission - rice, wheat, cooking oil, sugar and salt are first on my list - then I'll add to it from there. Rice is very cheap (at the moment) and easy to store, as is dried pasta. 500gm of spaghetti pasta can be as little as $0.80 - one packet with veges / home made sauce etc feeds my family for dinner - $100 worth would give us a over 100 days of one mail meal and could be stored in one storage bin - not a lot of space required for that. Of course we have gardens / orchard as well - but it's weather that is an issue here - crops were terrible last spring / summer and then we had a glorious late autumn but by then most stuff had perished or been ripped out for winter crops.

*We're not religious at all - but have found the Mormon storage websites to be really interesting and pretty on to it when it comes to storing large amounts of food long term. Not wanting to derail the thread but would certainly be interested in other sites that people are looking at??

Beautiful post and I thank you so much for your troubles to do so, this is so informative I pray others reading this thread take your lead and do the same.!!!!

You are correct on storing rice, we found out the hard way that it is not wise to store brown rice and expect it to last more than a couple of years, however white rice has just about an unlimited shelf life......

Once again I thank you so much for your time and your great post from New Zealand.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evltre

Butter (1 lb) $4.84
Milk 1% (4 L bag) $6.06
Bread Whole Wheat $3.87
Sugar 2 kg (5 lb) $4.00
X-large eggs (doz) $3.47

The future of food prices is really concerning - I'm about to embark on a Mormon* style food storage mission - rice, wheat, cooking oil, sugar and salt are first on my list - then I'll add to it from there. Rice is very cheap (at the moment) and easy to store, as is dried pasta. 500gm of spaghetti pasta can be as little as $0.80 - one packet with veges / home made sauce etc feeds my family for dinner - $100 worth would give us a over 100 days of one main meal and could be stored in one storage bin - not a lot of space required for that. Of course we have gardens / orchard as well - but it's weather that is an issue here - crops were terrible last spring / summer and then we had a glorious late autumn but by then most stuff had perished or been ripped out for winter crops.

edit on 19-8-2012 by Evltre because: spelling

Evltre:

Thank you for the details in your reply. I plan to take the information received and put it in a spreadsheet in order to better compare how the price fluctuates over the next year. Not too sure how I will work it all out, but need collect the data first. Hoping to get pricing in 6 month intervals.

Given the crazy weather patterns over the past year (and not just in our region) we can only image the effects it will have at the grocery store. Again thanks.

Namaste,
YogaGinns
(Iwinder)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

You're right..and I'm a bit ashamed. I should do more than drop a bitter quip just because food costs piss me off so much. Let me get with my wife in a short time and see if she has a receipt handy from the latest trip. She's made a couple this week so one ought to be handy. I'll see if I can add some stable data.

It's Southwest Missouri for the general area, by the way.

Here we go.. I have at least a few items which may make for a Missouri contribution.

1 Dozen white eggs: $2.48
1 Loaf Generic White Bread: $1.18
1 Gallon 2% White Milk : $3.88
1 Package Kraft Single Cheese Slices: $2.98
1 Regular bag of Lays plain chips: $3.48
1 Can Campbell Cream of Mushroom: $1.00
Beef Cube Steak: $4.68 per pound

There is Missouri heard from!
(hops back to watch other reports)

edit on 19-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   

If I was on an $80 budget I would spend it on the following:

This is just off the top of my head and comments/suggestions/alternatives would be appreciated!

$100NZ = $80us roughly
Rice 15 x 1kg bags white rice (budget brand) $ 17.25
Pasta 10 x 500gm packets $ 9.90
Tinned tomatoes x 10 (chopped in juice) $ 7.50
Dried pulses (lentils / pinto beans etc) - 2 kg $ 7.50
Tinned baked beans / spaghetti / sweetcorn x 30 $21.00
Salt - 500gm $ 2.00
Cooking oil 1 x2 litre $ 8.00
Flour - 5 x 1.5kg bags plain (budget brand flour) $10.00 (freeze for a few days before storing in airtight containers as it kills the months etc)
Sugar - 1 x 3kg bags $ 5.80
Coffee - 2 x 100gm instant $ 5.00
Baking power - box $ 2.50
Stock cubes (2 x 10pkt) $ 1.50

(NZ Prices used cause it takes too long to convert. $1 = $.79us)

That totals about $100nz and covers off a pretty reasonable number of options for meals that can be added to from your environment etc. I've just gone with stuff I know my kids / hubby will eat!

Or you could just buy $80 of rice!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
reply to post by Iwinder

You're right..and I'm a bit ashamed. I should do more than drop a bitter quip just because food costs piss me off so much. Let me get with my wife in a short time and see if she has a receipt handy from the latest trip. She's made a couple this week so one ought to be handy. I'll see if I can add some stable data.

It's Southwest Missouri for the general area, by the way.

Here we go.. I have at least a few items which may make for a Missouri contribution.

1 Dozen white eggs: $2.48
1 Loaf Generic White Bread: $1.18
1 Gallon 2% White Milk : $3.88
1 Package Kraft Single Cheese Slices: $2.98
1 Regular bag of Lays plain chips: $3.48
1 Can Campbell Cream of Mushroom: $1.00
Beef Cube Steak: $4.68 per pound

There is Missouri heard from!
(hops back to watch other reports)

edit on 19-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

Great stuff and we will add this to our information bank here...(wife) all joking aside thanks very much for including some of your weekly food costs. This could prove to be very helpful down the road.

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
After the Wrabbit's post please do post all foods that you buy on a regular basis, I realize this changes from country to country.
For example we do not eat lamb so I have no idea what the price of lamb is today nor will I know what it will be tomorrow unless you post it here....
To Wrabbit we pay $1.39 for a can of Campbell's soup here for most flavours.
Cheese slices we pay about $5.39 for a 24 pack.

Keep em coming folks as this might prove valuable or it could just be a waste of time??????

Who knows?

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Iwinder

Wow.. Now those are major differences. I see what you mean and I am getting a new appreciation for what you're trying to accomplish with the thread. I hope more come and share. It's true....you'd think you could see all this by going to the store websites but they all ask for a Zip and entering another area isn't always workable..as I learned when trucking. I'll tell ya what.. I'm cleaning out the fridge later tonight (Sunday routine..) and I always toss remains of deli meat and similar items with per lb and package pricing still on them. I'll drop back if one of them is legible and good to share.

I hadn't first appreciated the purpose you were after..Now that I do, I'm really anxious for more to share!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Just to clarify our toilet paper price is for double rolls (12 pack = to 24 singles), so approximately $0.50 for a single style roll is about right. And that's for the 2 ply.

Namaste,
YogaGinns

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join