It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Coin repressed with skull and bones...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I found this information from this link...

www.cointalk.com...

got this in a mixed lot off ebay, appears to be an indian head cent that has been restruck into some sort of challenge coin or medallion. the text inside the shield has some greek and some latin lettes making it really hard to decipher the message. some have said that it may be related to a fraternity, others suggest the 7 stars represent the 7 original confederate states. overall i can't get any google hits after typing in dozens and dozens of descriptions etc. any thoughts?

Here's images of coin...

I wonder if it's a real thing or a decoration? It's interesting that the coin is an Indian Head Penny. It's possible that someone repressed the coin during 1920's to 1940's? Your thought on that coin?
edit on 19-8-2012 by Aslpride because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Pretty neat looking. I would save that and hold on to it.

Might be worth something.

Who knows.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Notice the skulls elongated, not regular human skull...

(ALIENS)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Aslpride

I think it has to do with a military or some type of gang.
Possibly a marine/beret/ranger logo? they all seem to enjoy skulls with stars.
Then again could it just be a pressed souvenir penny?
Masonic!?!?! seven stars and skulls are both masonic symbols!
edit on 19-8-2012 by zonetripper2065 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   

The stamp indicates something took place at some point in time in Dyer, IN, and Indianapolis, IN. What and when exactly is unknown...

Unsure of the writing in the crest...the symbol appears to be that of "theos." I take that back...if it is the symbol for "theos," then it is turned on its side.
edit on 19-8-2012 by totallackey because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by zonetripper2065
Masonic!?!?! seven stars and skulls are both masonic symbols!

Uh, no, they are not.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by totallackey

The stamp indicates something took place at some point in time in Dyer, IN, and Indianapolis, IN. What and when exactly is unknown...

Unsure of the writing in the crest...the symbol appears to be that of "theos." I take that back...if it is the symbol for "theos," then it is turned on its side.

If you talking about the word with two symbols? If yes, then based on google and it's greek letters. First symbol as circle and line across the circle is "PHI", second one with "∑" is sigma. It's interesting to see greek symbol in word.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I do not think this has anything to do with Masonry or associated lodges, such as the Scottish Rite.

The Indianapolis Scottish Rite has the largest Scottish Rite Cathedral in existence; however, Dyer, IN, members of the Scottish would belong to Valley of South Bend, IN, which is a separate gathering.

Of course, I could be wrong about the stamp on the coin altogether...It may not mean Dyer, IN, or Indianapolis, IN.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AugustusMasonicus

Uh. YES, They are
The seven stars represents the 7 liberal arts and sciences.
The skull and cross bones the symbol for "momento mori" a reminder of your own mortality
Oh and its backed by the blazing sta......r but no your right none of those exist.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   

The seven stars represents the 7 liberal arts and sciences.

The seven steps leading to the Middle Chamber of King Solomon's Temple represent the seven liberal arts and sciences.

The skull and cross bones the symbol for "momento mori" a reminder of your own mortality

The Skull and Cross Bones do not appear in any Blue Lodge Degree and neither does the axiom 'memento mori', that is the York Rite.

edit on 19-8-2012 by AugustusMasonicus because: networkdude has no beer

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Don't they have those penny press things at Six Flags?
Six Flags
Over Texas

edit on 19-8-2012 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

My mistake the seven stars represent the seven glorious ones who brought the seven sciences as depicted on the 1st degree tracing board. Small mistake but it doesnt retract from the seven stars being used as a symbol
The skull and cross bones like on the 3rd degree tracing board.

These are both symbols in freemasonry so how am I wrong?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lysergic
Don't they have those penny press things at Six Flags?
Six Flags
Over Texas

edit on 19-8-2012 by Lysergic because: (no reason given)

We can tell the different between those coins that pressed by amusement parks and the coin showed in this thread. Also, those elongated coins usually to have an oval size with different design. I can understand that elongated coins may have similar looks, but I don't think because of coin from above showed as cracked. It mean it was pressed.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

My mistake the seven stars represent the seven glorious ones who brought the seven sciences as depicted on the 1st degree tracing board. Small mistake...

Here is another 'small' mistake. The seven stars in the tracing board do not refer to the 'seven glorious ones', it refers, in English Masonry, to the proper number of Masons required to form a lodge and is explained in the corresponding lecture from that degree:

...emblematically depicted here by seven stars, which have an allusion to as many regularly made Masons, without which number no Lodge is perfect, neither can any candidate be legally initiated into the Order.

This lecture is not used in Indianapolis (and I would gather the rest of the United States) where this coin was struck and is hence not part of Masonic ritual there.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
hey guys,

found this thread in google while researching the coin (it's my coin!) and thought i'de throw in some more info,

in one of the coin forums where this is also being discussed one of the members made me aware that DYER is a well known jeweler in Indianapolis, has been around since 1890 and specializes in fraternity membership/challenge coins (as well as custom jewelry).

there is a good chance this came from them (they are very proud to stamp their name on their products) as a fraternity/society coin, or possibly a military piece. i believe at one time they did some pieces for the kkk, and (possibly related) the 7 stars may represent the 7 original confederate states (although at this point this is simply a guess - but it fits).

the indian head penny was in production from 1860 - 1909, and this piece might even be a test strike for the punch/die used for a more formal piece.

i have sent off an email along with pictures to them in hopes they have something in thier archives, and will post anything i hear back.

in the mean time if anyone has any other insight i am sure willing to listen!

thankyou
wade

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by wade12

Hello, welcome to this forum. Yes, I found your thread from cointalk. It's an interesting coin and I think this forum may be a good place to find more information.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
i appreciate you spreading the word, the more the merrier!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Keep splitting hairs any way you want but that doesn't change the fact that the seven stars and the skull and bones are masonic symbols.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Keep splitting hairs any way you want but that doesn't change the fact that the seven stars and the skull and bones are masonic symbols.

Call it what you want, if you actually understood Masonic ritual and were not reliant on the internet to provide your points you would know that English Constitution is quite different then what is practiced in the United States. When I, and most of the other Masons here, refer to Masonry we are talking about Masonry as exercised in the United States, being that this is an AMerican-based forum.

The coin has no Masonic relevance for an American Mason as far as I can tell.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
here is the reply i got from DYER & RATLIFF

Wade , My name is Rick Ratliff and worked for the company for 32 years
. The company closed in 09 due to economic struggles . The looks
familiar but we did alot of those types and it appears to be some type
of Fraternity coat of arms . The company was founded in 1890 and the
bulk of their business for a long time was Fraternity and Sorority
jewelry . Sorry I cant be of more help . Rick

so not 100% but a good start,

question now, WHICH frat/society

top topics