It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tap water straight from the mains sold on shelves at Asda and Tesco

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

Because I need a bottle to fill in the first place.

so your telling me in your house you dont have an empty bottle or container you could fill from the tap to keep in your car ,

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth

so your telling me in your house you dont have an empty bottle or container you could fill from the tap to keep in your car ,

I'll be totally honest, I don't personally keep a bottle in the car lol but if I did, I wouldn't be opposed to using 17p water, that's my point. My household is anal about recycling and my wife and I both use 'bobble' water bottles which apparently don't leech chemicals, save the planet and filter the water - win, win, win. However, I wouldn't re-use plastic bottles to drink from mainly due to the hygiene aspect and the dodgy chemicals.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth

I'll be totally honest, I don't personally keep a bottle in the car lol but if I did, I wouldn't be opposed to using 17p water, that's my point. My household is anal about recycling and my wife and I both use 'bobble' water bottles which apparently don't leech chemicals, save the planet and filter the water - win, win, win. However, I wouldn't re-use plastic bottles to drink from mainly due to the hygiene aspect and the dodgy chemicals.

i didnt think you did something was telling me this guy doesn't keep a 17p bottle of water in his boot

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by wittgenstein
Cool! It has been proven that tap water is superior to bottled water. If an idiot wants to spend his own $ on an expensive product that he can get free...well, that's his right!

It's not FREE. A person is paying for it one way or another if you live in the city and in rural areas without your own well.
edit on 20-8-2012 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by r2d246

It does 10,000 gallons of water. So that's like a good 10 years or more of clean water.

You might want to cross check them. I can't believe any filter can last that long. Look at other brands and see how long they say you can go with their system. A big part of profit is the sale of the refills to products.
I know on my frig the filter lasted only 5 months before the light came on. And all I used it for was making ice.

Ya I've checked. A ceramic filter on a soyars water bottle does 1 million gallons. The reason is it's ceramic. Not some hoky filter that is engineered to last only a few months like a britta jug. They want you to buy more filters! So 10,000 gallons is nothing. Some of them do 30,000 from what I read. I just wanted the cheap one though.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

I do not understand how it's even remotely possible for a single filter to last that long. A filter, being what it is, takes things OUT of the water. Those things have to "go" somewhere, they are stored inside the filter material.

Have you ever taken the top of your toilet's tank, and seen all that sandy looking stuff that's settled at the bottom? That's sediments from the water. And that's JUST the stuff that has naturally settled out, it's not even filtered out, so there is a TON more sediments in the water that a filter would have taken out.

So how in god's name does a filter last that long? The sheer volume of material removed from the water is going to be huge after that much use, and all that material is going to be stored in the filter. You mentioned those Brita pitchers. After that much water, the entire Brita filter pod thingy would be completely FULL of various sediments from the water. The reason Brita filters only last a certain amount of time isn't some engineered flaw, it's because the filtering material only has a certain amount of debris that it can hold. If you remove 10lbs of sediment from the water using a Brita filter, all that sediment will be in the filter. Obviously it's impossible to fit 10lbs of sediment inside a Brita filter. But hopefully you get what I'm saying.

I don't know, unless I'm missing something here I just don't buy it.

EDIT:

Looked around online about that Sawyer 1 Million gallon filter. Guess what? Almost EVERYONE else online is calling bullchit on the 1 million figure. For the same reasons I stated. It's physically impossible to filter that much water. The material removed from the water would take up more space than the entire filter. It violates the laws of physics.

It's like saying I removed 100lbs of sediment and bacteria from my water, and it's all stored inside this filter the size of a pack of cigarettes. See how that's impossible?

I'm not claiming YOU are lying or anything, I'm saying the manufacturer is full of chit, and it appears almost everybody else agrees with me.
edit on 20-8-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Ok I did some more research on that Sawyer filter. Evidently you can backflush it removing the debris from the filter. THAT is the part I was "missing" when I said "unless I'm missing something, it's impossible"

Guess a million gallons would be possible in this case. I just wonder how easy it would be to backflush a filter with such small micron size, once TSHTF and you don't have water pressure or anything. It just seems like even with backflushing the filter would get too clogged to function properly well before the 1 million gallon figure. I'm still EXTREMELY skeptical about that figure.

I wish I could find some actual tests where they filter 1million gallons of water. Obviously this would take a ton of time and money which is probably why I haven't found it

edit on 20-8-2012 by James1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Evian -Naive

I think that says it all really

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by leosnake

I've bought this water from ASDA before and I just assumed it was tap water. All it says is "Still Water", doesn't say "Spring Water" or anything of the sort. If you're going to be stupid enough to assume something is a product that it's not even claiming to be, then that's your own fault. And I thought 17p for two litres wasn't bad considering the convenience they offer on camping trips or just something to have in the boot of your car for emergencies. After all, they have to bottle it, transport it, pay the staff, pay the bills...people seem to think all that comes for free.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

If you're going to be stupid enough to assume that buying bottled tap water for a camping a trip is a good idea instead of buying a canteen...

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join