It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tap water straight from the mains sold on shelves at Asda and Tesco

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by fiflad
I don't see the problem. I buy their cheapest water because that's what I want - cheap water I can throw in the back of the car and use when I want.

Sure, I could take it from the tap myself, but I'm too lazy.

What do people expect for 17p ?

The problem is that first they have to manufacture the plastic bottles, which causes pollution. Then they have to pipe the water into the bottle in a factory somewhere, which causes pollution. Then the bottled water has to be transported to the supermarket, which causes pollution. The water is then purchased, consumed, and the empty plastic bottle ends up at a landfill or in the ocean... causing more pollution. And the whole time the idiot who purchased the bottle could have filled up a glass bottle at home.

I would argue that killing our planets ability to sustain us, through laziness and ignorance, is a pretty big problem.

Peace

edit on 19-8-2012 by Muckster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by seethetruth

Any further south and my feet would be wet. why?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

because the female hormone is worse in London its bad in other big cites but London is the worst because it recycles more toilet water than other cites ,and they can not get the female hormone out of the water .

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by seethetruth

because the female hormone is worse in London its bad in other big cites but London is the worst because it recycles more toilet water than other cites ,and they can not get the female hormone out of the water .

Gotcha. I'm on the south coast, can see france on a clear day, and as far as I know they dont recycle our water. They are however fighting to get fluoride added though

Gonna be moving soon and the first item on my shopping list will be a reverse osmosis filter.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by wittgenstein
abcnews.go.com...
www.museumofhoaxes.com...

OMG.
Go to the sister site of the Museum of Hoaxes, Mad Science Museum. The fans of freaky science will find some enjoyment.

On topic, my kids will drink bottled water so quickly it would make your head spin. I refill the bottles once and save 50 % , they don't notice the difference.
edit on 19-8-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
You guys do realize a big part of the cost of bottle beverages (be it soda or water) is the bottling and transportation, right?

Bottled water is still a rip-off, but there are a lot of costs associated with producing the product other than just the water itself.

I don't usually drink bottled water but I have a bunch of those gallon jugs stored up for emergencies. Fill an empty milk jug with tap water and let it sit for a year, I'd bet you money there will be obvious bacterial or fungal growth inside the bottle. Bottled water from the factory will stay potable longer, which is good for storing.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I was in London last week, for the first time in a decade. I live close to the Pennines (closer to Oldham than Manchester) and I'd forgotten how 'weird' the tap water in London tastes. I'm pretty much against bottled water because of plastic bottles &c, but, and it's a big but, if I lived in London, I'd be tempted to drink bottled water myself.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

the companies mentioned are now making huge profits because people assume they dont need to reed the label. It borders on deception.

What's wrong with making profit selling something people want?
By and large, the only ones doing the deceiving are the consumers, themselves.

The people who sold "Pet Rocks" made huge profits, too; and, probably from the likes of bottled water buyers.

jw

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Merriman Weir

I was in London last week, for the first time in a decade. I live close to the Pennines (closer to Oldham than Manchester) and I'd forgotten how 'weird' the tap water in London tastes. I'm pretty much against bottled water because of plastic bottles &c, but, and it's a big but, if I lived in London, I'd be tempted to drink bottled water myself.

your not the Rochdale cow boy are you , the only tap water i will drink is what has been boiled never straight from the tap ,
i used to have bad stomach problems ,every year around the same time i would get sick just before xmas and this went on for years , it finally came out that Yorkshire water did at the same time every year did a certain job that released bacteria in to the water supply ,from then i have never drank tap water now i don't get sick and have no stomach problems

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I just assumed everyone collected their own water from the sky.
Didnt realise people bought water or payed for a third party to supply it.?? just call me evian i guess
edit on 20-8-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by leosnake

Tap water straight from the mains sold on shelves at Asda and Tesco

www.dailymail.co.uk

What appears good value is tap water marked up 2,500 per cent
(visit the link for the full news article)

Well whatever you do, just don't drink tap water. I bought one of these. It's the CrystalQuest countertop water filtration system. It does 10,000 gallons of water. So that's like a good 10 years or more of clean water. Tastes really good. Excellent investment for just 100 bucks. Suppose to remove floride too. You can search for them on Amazon or on Ebay if you wanna pick one up.

edit on 20-8-2012 by r2d246 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

your not the Rochdale cow boy are you ,

No. If I was, I'd have said that I live closer to Rochdale than Manchester!

the only tap water i will drink is what has been boiled never straight from the tap ,
i used to have bad stomach problems ,every year around the same time i would get sick just before xmas and this went on for years , it finally came out that Yorkshire water did at the same time every year did a certain job that released bacteria in to the water supply ,from then i have never drank tap water now i don't get sick and have no stomach problems

I don't really drink large quantities of water, to be honest, unless it's come out of a kettle and is hot enough to scold a child's head.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I don't really drink large quantities of water, to be honest, unless it's come out of a kettle and is hot enough to scold a child's head.

omg you don't test your hot water on a baby's head do you ,,
we do have some strange saying's i am from not far from Oldham

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by r2d246

It does 10,000 gallons of water. So that's like a good 10 years or more of clean water.

You might want to cross check them. I can't believe any filter can last that long. Look at other brands and see how long they say you can go with their system. A big part of profit is the sale of the refills to products.
I know on my frig the filter lasted only 5 months before the light came on. And all I used it for was making ice.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I personally don't see the problem. It never pretends to be spring water. If people don't know the difference between 'spring water' and 'bottled water' the that's their problem. At 17p, who really cares?

Bottled water can be very over priced but it allows a convenience which people are willing to pay for. I use a Brita filter at home despite the fact that the tap water is 'safe'. They too could be considered a con in the UK.

17p for a bottle of filtered water is not going to send anyone into poverty is it? Anyone who can't afford to be throwing twenty pence pieces around shouldn't be buying bottled water full stop. Buy the majority who like to keep a bottle in the boot for emergencies for example (whether that's to drink, top up your washer fluid or rinse something nasty off the bottom of their boot) aren't really going to expect it to be from a spring. In all honesty, I'm pleased to discover it's filtered at all.

*Next Week* - Daily Mail Exclusive - Dream Catchers Exposed: Fake dream catchers found in stores across the UK. How do they sleep at night?
edit on 20-8-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

omg you don't test your hot water on a baby's head do you ,,
we do have some strange saying's i am from not far from Oldham

If you're not far from Oldham (and you've kind of ruled out Rochdale) and you're not from Manchester, then we're probably closer neighbours than you think.

inb4: I'm your father, Luke.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
More on London and flouride:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I only drink bottled but it says it's from a Spring on the bottle so I assume it's not scam water. London water tastes HORRIBLE!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

why would you spend 17p on a bottle of water to keep in your boot when you can fill a bottle from the tap to keep in your boot

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by igor_ats
More on London and flouride:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I only drink bottled but it says it's from a Spring on the bottle so I assume it's not scam water. London water tastes HORRIBLE!

if it say's spring water on the label then it has to be spring water ,its like that nestle water it is distilled water then minerals are put in after but it does not say on the label that it is spring water

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

reply to post by fiftyfifty

why would you spend 17p on a bottle of water to keep in your boot when you can fill a bottle from the tap to keep in your boot

Because I need a bottle to fill in the first place. AND it would cost more to filter it myself.
edit on 20-8-2012 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join