It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney's Faith-Will Some Christians Not Accept a Mormon President???

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench

I am not a Mormon, and have never studied their doctrines or beliefs. But curiously these beliefs closely align with my own ideas.

I too believe that I lived a life before my existence as a human being, and in fact, at my old age, I am beginning to remember things from that life.

Yes - - kinda cracks me up Fundamental Christians blasting Mormons for what they believe. Like the Christian belief isn't about as far out and unbelievable as you can get.

The Mormon belief makes a whole lot more logical sense to me.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Glad you joined the discussion Annee, I always love your perspective and input regardless of the post!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Djayed

No religion is ever in the position to call another's crazy.

Christians drink wine and juice and wafers and pretend they are Jesus.

God had a guy bring a pair of every animal on a great big boat and flooded the earth.

Do I need to bring up tent revivals?

I know crazy, I grew up Catholic! In perspective any religion is kinda out there! I guess I will find out when I die but in the meantime: Mormons and scientologist are on the top of the extreme pile when it comes to religion in my book!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   

I too believe that I lived a life before my existence as a human being, and in fact, at my old age, I am beginning to remember things from that life.

I would love to hear all about that!! When I did some research about '___' some of the peoples experienced the before human existence!

I am really fascinated by that! Have you made any posts on the subject?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed
reply to post by Annee

Glad you joined the discussion Annee, I always love your perspective and input regardless of the post!

Thanks.

I try to keep it straight forward.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I am not a Mormon, and have never studied their doctrines or beliefs. But curiously these beliefs closely align with my own ideas.

Yes - - kinda cracks me up Fundamental Christians blasting Mormons for what they believe. Like the Christian belief isn't about as far out and unbelievable as you can get.

The Mormon belief makes a whole lot more logical sense to me.

Really I think Morom is a little more on the illogical side? Native Americans used to be white, does not seem logical? Now with that said, Christians believe in immaculate constipation, and resurrection....

This is why I do not go to Church...me head does hurt....
edit on 8/20/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

I know crazy, I grew up Catholic! In perspective any religion is kinda out there! I guess I will find out when I die but in the meantime: Mormons and scientologist are on the top of the extreme pile when it comes to religion in my book!

I was Mormon for 5 years.

There is no comparison between Scientology and Mormon.

Mormon is basically a Christian religion with some different perspectives. Consider there is 1500 different Christians sects in America alone - - all with some kind of different perspective.

I had more bible study being Mormon - - then any other Christian church I tried.

First thing I learned is non-Mormons think they are experts on Mormons. I've had several non-Mormons ask me questions - - then flat out tell me I was wrong.

It is an amazing group to be a part of. They are great people - family oriented - dedicated to charity work - and live their belief 24/7. You don't just go to church for a couple hours on Sunday.

If I could find a group run/organized like Mormons - - - minus religion - - I'd be first in line to sign up.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I was Mormon for 5 years.

There is no comparison between Scientology and Mormon.

Mormon is basically a Christian religion with some different perspectives. Consider there is 1500 different Christians sects in America alone - - all with some kind of different perspective.

I had more bible study being Mormon - - then any other Christian church I tried.

First thing I learned is non-Mormons think they are experts on Mormons. I've had several non-Mormons ask me questions - - then flat out tell me I was wrong.

It is an amazing group to be a part of. They are great people - family oriented - dedicated to charity work - and live their belief 24/7. You don't just go to church for a couple hours on Sunday.

If I could find a group run/organized like Mormons - - - minus religion - - I'd be first in line to sign up.
I am no expert on Mormons a lot of what I know I researched myself and we all know the Internet is a toss up on truth! So are some of the things I posted in my orginal post , anti-mormon propaganda or correct?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Really I think Morom is a little more on the illogical side? Native Americans used to be white, does not seem logical? Now with that said, Christians believe in immaculate constipation, and resurrection....

I really don't find it far fetched that some people migrated by sea from the middle east to the eastern border of South America. I'm sure most didn't make it - - - but there's always that one lucky group.

Fairly recently science discovered 2 sisters in Argentina (I think) who's DNA was completely different then anyone else in the area. And may link them to those who may have migrated across the ocean. It was awhile ago I read about this.

But then I think - - - just like Christianity the real truth turned into incredible myths.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I am no expert on Mormons a lot of what I know I researched myself and we all know the Internet is a toss up on truth! So are some of the things I posted in my orginal post , anti-mormon propaganda or correct?

Finding real truths/facts on the Net in regards to Mormons - - - is nearly impossible.

There is so much misinformation - - - that unless you have real knowledge and know what you're looking for - - - most likely its anti-Mormon propaganda.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Why not? They accepted a muslim president.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by shai hulud
Why not? They accepted a muslim president.

I really hate ignorant useless comments.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Religion and politics should be kept completely separate...and if not, you should be allowed to question those religious arguments openly.

So if you claim that god told you a war in Iraq is a good idea (Bush!!!), you should have to prove it. Just saying it to appeal to voters is cheap and taking advantage of the gullibility of people. Politics should be based on rationality and objectivity, not religious beliefs!! That doesn't mean those politicians can't have their religious beliefs, but they can't use them as arguments unless those arguments are objective.

Now personally I would like to ask both candidates some questions based on their religion...and depending on the answers I would ask them to step down.

So if Obama told me talking snakes are real, or that a global flood really happened...well...I'd ask him to step down.

If Romney looked me in the eye and told me he believes in magical underpants (look it up!) and that black people are somehow wicked like their book claims...then well...that would disqualify him too in my eyes.

If they're moderate and not taking everything literally...fine, let them believe whatever they want as long as it doesn't mean they throw all rationality/objectivity over board.

To be honest, the second Bush said "god spoke to him about Iraq" someone should have walked on stage, put a straightjacket on him, and shipped him off to the asylum. Sadly that didn't happen and we're still stuck there.

edit on 20-8-2012 by MrXYZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by MrXYZ

There's a a difference between keeping religion and politics separate as apposed to keeping religion and candidate separate.

What if a Satanist was running for office? I'm sure a good number here believe there's a solid handful in government anyway....but if a religious belief has to potential to hinder the duty of representing the people's interests, it should be an issue. I don't see Romney as a hard line Mormon, but if he were an argument could be made that he doesn't belong in the white house.

I would like to see both Obama and Romney questioned on whether or not they take doctrine literally or if they belong to church more for community aspects. Really, we should know exactly what our elected officials believe religiously. Otherwise, we can't accurately judge their line of thinking.

Also, this may be a good place to make a case for the separation of church and state being a little too stringent. For example, why shouldn't public schools teach religious thought in an unbiased manner? It's a huge part of understanding global society.

There's nothing wrong with the State teaching "this is what Jesus said, this is what Buddha said, etc." It would only be a problem if the State were teaching that a particular theology was truth.

I think in NY we spent a month or two on religion in 9th grade social studies... it's a subject that warrants discussion starting younger and continuing consistently.
edit on 20-8-2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
magical underpants (look it up!)

They are not "magical underpants". They are sacred garments.

I don't think you qualify as a person who can ask responsible informative questions.

edit on 20-8-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The above is a misquote, I don't remember saying anything about magical underpants.

Not that I care, really, this was just a convenient way to get closer to 20 so I can put a thread up tomorrow.

While I'm here, did you see the special on HBO about a fundamentalist Mormon community in Colorado City, Arizona that only recently started allowing kids to compete in sports? Apparently it's a divisive issue in the ultra traditional community, and surprised me because Mormon athletes have made quite an impact in professional leagues.

Cut to November television add: Shows sad kids, deep voice over "Mormons don't even allow their kids to play sports." Image of Mitt Romney at Mormon service, "Mitt Romney has been a backward Mormon his whole life, depriving kids of play time." More sad kids, "Do you want a president who doesn't allow kids to have fun?"

Paid for by the Black Panthers from Forest Gump
edit on 21-8-2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

reply to post by Annee

The above is a misquote, I don't remember saying anything about magical underpants.

It is not a misquote. Its exactly what you posted.

While I'm here, did you see the special on HBO about Mormon communities in Utah that are only recently allowing kids to compete in sports? Apparently it's a divisive issue in the ultra traditional community, and surprised me because Mormon athletes have made quite an impact in professional leagues.

Provide a link to the HBO special.

I was a member of the Mormon church for 5 years. They are huge sports fans. Their wards (church) all have basketball courts in them.

So I am not sure what you are talking about.

Some individuals choose to keep Sunday holy and not play sports on Sunday - - but I think that's personal choice.

There are off-shoots of the official LDS church. You need to provide more details.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Magic underpants wasn't mine, I never even knew about the under garment thing until I saw your post. Somehow my name got attached to it, I just looked at all my posts on this thread.

I want to make it clear that I hold no negativity toward LDS. My reference to the sports story was to show how Mormonism could be used against Romney in a bias way...

The story was from Colorado City, Arizona in a fundamentalist polygamist community.

While it may seem strange that participating in sports could be taboo in America, that was long the case in Colorado City, Ariz. For years, Colorado City has been infamous for the practice of polygamy and for being the home of the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints (FLDS) and its imprisoned prophet, Warren Jeffs. When HBO last visited the town, the El Capitan High School basketball program was established over the objections of some in the community. Now, following the success of its expanded curriculum, El Capitan has introduced volleyball and football. and plans to add a baseball team. REAL SPORTS correspondent Andrea Kremer revisits Colorado City to discover that the town remains divided about athletics.
Episode synopsis HBO.com

couldn't find it on youtube.

I understand that this sect differs greatly from Mormon majority and am a fan of many Mormon athletes, especially Bryce Harper and Jimmer Fredette.

Edited my previous post for accuracy.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Magic underpants wasn't mine,

I apologize - - I responded to your post that you responded to MrXYZ. It was MrXYZ who made the remark about "magical underwear". Sorry it took me so long. Been busy.

Anyway - - they are sacred garments worn only by those who qualify - go to temple. Not all Mormons are devout and go to temple.

The story was from Colorado City, Arizona in a fundamentalist polygamist community.

The FLDS is not a recognized off shoot group of the Official Mormon Church.

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join