It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney's Faith-Will Some Christians Not Accept a Mormon President???

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by ezekielken
reply to post by beezzer

Yes, just one. Why do they get to go to a higher level in Heaven then you do?

Not sure. I know men and women go to different levels and some of it is based on whether you're single or married.
If a wife dies first, she goes to a lower level, but after her husband dies, he can bring her to a higher level.

I'm probably saying it all wrong, but that was my take on it. I have great friendships with people who happened to be LDS. But I never braced them on it because I never wanted to put them in a corner or embarrass them on some of the more outrageous aspects. That and their underwear.

TMI, as far as I was concerned.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I'm surprised Romney's religious beliefs haven't been more of an issue. Maybe the Obama campaign is just saving the assault for the right time. It's a definite ace in the pocket.

And the idea that a presidential candidate's religious belief shouldn't matter is nonsense. It's a RELIGIOUS belief. These types of ideas supersede any political ideology and define a person to a much further extent. Romney's top priority is preparing the world for Jesus, not the American citizen (if he takes his religion to heart).

At least the Republican side is more authentic. They are openly governing with a Christian mindset. Meanwhile, most Dems identify themselves as Christian and claim it has no bearing on their politics.

This is an interesting excerpt from the wikipedia page on theocracy-

Critics have argued that the US state of Utah is a theocracy. They point out that all of the state's representatives in Congress, all of its Supreme Court, 90% of its legislature and 80% of its state and federal judges belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints

Once the election grows closer and more people are educated on Mormonism, which will no doubt be from a bias perspective and no doubt accepted by most, the Republican ticket will have no chance. This thing is being tossed in Obama's lap. Romney will alienate mainstream Christian sects, and Ryan will alienate poor and elderly. No shot. By the time this all plays out Obama may even win bigger than 08, but I wouldn't bet on that.

All that said, I really don't think Romney's Mormonism impedes his judgement any more than a Catholic. He was born into it and his personality isn't the type to rebel against a Governor father.

And maybe the Obama side won't make an issue out of it. Could risk being called intolerant. But more likely than not, some of the wackier Mormon stuff will find it's way into the public ear...

Then again, Romney got elected in Massachusetts

You guys know that Harry Reid (senate majority leader) is a Mormon?

Note: There are a lot of Mormons who most would consider extraordinary individuals.
Wikipedia list ofLatter Day Saints

Those are famous ones, but many more do humble work of community service every day...

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by PatrickGarrow17

So Obama's Black Liberation Theology Church should have scrutiny applied in the same fashion?

Just wondering.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

this reminds me of a joke. St. Peter has a buddhist, a muslim, a christian and an atheist on an elevator into heaven. As they near the fifth floor he entreats them all to be very quiet. After they pass the fifth one of them cautiously asks St. Peter why they had to be quiet. To which he replies, " That is the Mormons floor, they think they are the only ones up here."

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If I remember right that was a strong campaign point for Republicans in 08, even if not officially endorsed. The word got around..

Romney has said he won't exploit that issue, and I can guarantee when they debate in front of a national audience Obama will say that Romney's faith shouldn't be an issue either.

But I'd expect both sides to discreetly promote anything that could shift the tide in their direction, so yeah that whole issue with the nutter preacher should cycle back into consideration.

You differ with my take that Obama will win? I'm not saying I'm in favor of that, just that I think he won't have much of a problem getting reelected.
edit on 20-8-2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatrickGarrow17
reply to post by beezzer

If I remember right that was a strong campaign point for Republicans in 08, even if not officially endorsed. The word got around..

Romney has said he won't exploit that issue, and I can guarantee when they debate in front of a national audience Obama will say that Romney's faith shouldn't be an issue either.

But I'd expect both sides to discreetly promote anything that could shift the tide in their direction, so yeah that whole issue with the nutter preacher should cycle back into consideration.

You differ with my take that Obama will win? I'm not saying I'm in favor of that, just that I think he won't have much of a problem getting reelected.
edit on 20-8-2012 by PatrickGarrow17 because: (no reason given)

I Believe Obama is going to get re-elected. I think choosing Romney sealed the deal!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

So Obama's Black Liberation Theology Church should have scrutiny applied in the same fashion?

Just wondering.

See I read about that church and what it says on the about us page. I do not believe there is anything wrong with Black culture trying to hang on to their heritage.

1. Civil rights for them didn't happen too long ago
2 Savery wasn't that long ago in the US

They have a right to try and hold on to that heritage, and least they do not believe American Indianss used to be white until God punished them!

I am fine with the Black churches!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Romney's Faith-Will Some Christians Not Accept a Mormon President???,

Definately. I lived in Alabama for 9 years. When Gore/Lieberman was the ticket, a lot of people said they wouldn't vote for it because Lieberman wasn't Christian. (and a lot of them down there say Catholics aren't Christian :shk: so according to them RYAN wouldn't be someone they'll vote for either) There were letters to the editor sent to the Huntsville newspaper and everything. So to answer your question ... definately.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Romney is kinda screwed. Between now and the election there will be something uncovered or he will screw up getting most Christians to turn away from him. Let's see if this prediction of mine comes true.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djayed
reply to post by Djayed

My friend I metioned above grew up Mormon but when he was 17 he refused not to watch tv, he refused to go on his mission, and he got tattoos.

So he was banned from being a member of the church.

edit on 8/19/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

HEH I got shown the door too..
Wish I had kept my quad though, it was always good to read for a giggle.

Are they evil? No not at all, they did seem odd though, serious Stepford wife odd.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by intrepid

I haven't seen one Romney bumper sticker, what people like him? All the middle class and poor people I know are voting for Obama.

I saw one. Maybe two, not too sure though, it may have been the same car and I just saw it twice.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Mormons have been some of the nicest people I have met.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Go to Utah.. Take a look see as to how they run things over there... No separation of church and state...

A Mormon president? Sorry Romney but I'd rather not.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

No religion is ever in the position to call another's crazy.

Christians drink wine and juice and wafers and pretend they are Jesus.

God had a guy bring a pair of every animal on a great big boat and flooded the earth.

Do I need to bring up tent revivals?

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Actually the Mormons are very diligent about record keeping. They probably could take over the world with it if they wanted too.

Which is why all the geneaology sites are owned by LDS.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by intrepid

This wasn't 60 years ago, this was 1978, that is nearly 1980. Romney went along with OPEN racism that the church held, when they wouldn't let black people be priests. Were you racist in 1980? They still hold the official stance that black people hold the sin of Cain, are cursed, and sinful.

Yes - the LDS church did not allow blacks to hold the priesthood because of the Mark of Ham. But there were always black members in the LDS church.

Unlike some Christians that had white only churches.

It is - sadly and unfortunately - part of the history/culture of America.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

They believe they lived as full-grown adults (the Doctrine of Pre-existence) in a spirit world before they were born. In Pre-Existence, they had friends and family and relationships and knowledge. While there, they were presented with the Plan of Salvation, which included being given a choice to be born as humans with the prize at the end being godhood of their own planet. They didn't have to and some were content to stay in the spirit world where they were already in heaven instead of taking the plunge and getting a shot at being God.
5) They believe that when their spirits passed into existence, they also passed through a Veil of Forgetfulness where they forgot their previous spirit lives. Here, they recreate their pre-existent families as eternal families.

I don't know about this. I think a lot of Christians will vote for Mittens and his attack dog, simply because they are tired of Obama and scared of Paul.

As for the quoted portion;
I am not a Mormon, and have never studied their doctrines or beliefs. But curiously these beliefs closely align with my own ideas.
I too believe that I lived a life before my existence as a human being, and in fact, at my old age, I am beginning to remember things from that life.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
The reality here is that a few people will vote for Obama, a few people will vote for Romney, and a few of us will write in a different name. These votes will make up a very small percentage of the votes. I believe a majority of people will be either voting against Obama or against Romney - they won't truly be voting for anyone.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Maybe the Obama campaign is just saving the assault for the right time. It's a definite ace in the pocket.

I don't think so, maybe Obama doesn't want to open that can of worms again, considering where he went to church, and the fact people may be paying attention this time,

Interesting in light of realspoke claiming Romney's religion is racist while Obama's ,mentor Jeremiah Wright is as racist as they come,black liberation theology.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Actually the Mormons are very diligent about record keeping. They probably could take over the world with it if they wanted too.

Which is why all the geneaology sites are owned by LDS.

wow, I didn't know that.

Man, that's sets my conspiracy wheels turning.
edit on 113131p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join