It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney's Faith-Will Some Christians Not Accept a Mormon President???

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

I had a friend that couldn't go to his sisters wedding because he was not a Mormon. They made him stand out side of the temple. They also buried his dad in a green robes with gold ropes tied around his waste(he was not allowed in the church for that either, he just saw his Mom take the robes out of the chest and said that is what his dad was going to be buried in!

They wouldn't let him in the church to not even see his dad because he wasn't Mormon? That's horrible. Not really surprising because their religion is full of discrimination.

edit on 19-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
reply to post by RealSpoke

OMGosh! I was not aware of this. Thank you for pointing that out. After almost a half century of life, I can still learn something new every day. That really is disgusting.
How discrimination can not only be tolerated but also reaffirmed by any organization claiming to be Christian is so...anti-Christian. That goes for all discrimination - whether racial, anti gay or whatever. That's why I do not belong to any religion or religious church. This kind of hate goes against the teachings of Christ who taught us to unconditionally love everyone...even those who nailed him to the tree.

I really love your stance on things!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Djayed

I had a friend that couldn't go to his sisters wedding because he was not a Mormon. They made him stand out side of the temple. They also buried his dad in a green robes with gold ropes tied around his waste(he was not allowed in the church for that either, he just saw his Mom take the robes out of the chest and said that is what his dad was going to be buried in!

They wouldn't let him in the church to not even see his dad because he wasn't Mormon? That's horrible. Not really surprising because their religion is full of discrimination.

edit on 19-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

Yeah and it really messed him up because he never got to have any closure. Not saying this is the Mormon religions fault, but because of that he turned to drugs/alcohol and destroyed his life.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I don't know any Mormons, I have to admit I wonder about it, I have the book of Mormon in my house and tried to read it once, it seemed obvious to me the little I did read was a strange attempt to make up something that would read similar to biblical scriptures.

I should go find it I guess.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The point is being missed. I was merely stating that the mainstream religions allowed(or turned a blind eye) to terrible things. Things that we today would cringe at... if you have an ounce of humanity in you. Would one categorize a Catholic or a CoE person by their faith? If so they are tainted by their past as well.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I could add equally horrid stories about some baptists I know.

People are going to believe whatever endorses their own preconceived biases or prejudices.

Hate is so damned easy.

Pity.

Beezzer, I have family thats Mormon, they are awesome people.

I also have Pentecostal family who are not so awesome.

The question in the OP was that based on a Christian world view would they Accept a Mormon.

Its not about if Mormons are good people or not.

My personal view is anyone that Holds the POTUS better be able to put his beliefs aside, and rule by the law of the land.

I don't care if they are Buddhist, Muslim, Catholic, Scientology, Pentecostal, Baptist.

As lone as their beliefs allow them to be put aside in order to govern based on the laws of the land.

Can Mitt do that? I don't know, I do know there is enough about both Candidates that I won't be voting for the two running.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
I don't know any Mormons, I have to admit I wonder about it, I have the book of Mormon in my house and tried to read it once, it seemed obvious to me the little I did read was a strange attempt to make up something that would read similar to biblical scriptures.

I should go find it I guess.

I tried to do a lot of research on the subject, but the more I read the more I felt like I was reading about Scientology. It is hard to find info on the Internet that is not biased pro/against Mormons. I did take a world religion course and we touched on many things even Pagen religions, but my professor never talked about Mormons nor did the books???

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Thank you! I just cannot understand the hatred, prejudice and judgement preached by most "Christian" churches these days. They need to dust off their Bibles and read only the words spoken by Christ. Who do they think they are judging and discriminating. If Jesus were here today in the flesh, he would be hanging out with the very "dark skinned" people that the Mormons apparently condemn along with gays, drug users, non church goers and all the other people that most churches comdemn. He Himself would once again point out the sins of the churches while showing love and compassion to the people of the world who are sinners according to churches.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

The question in the OP was that based on a Christian world view would they Accept a Mormon.

Its not about if Mormons are good people or not.

And I said. . . .

People are going to believe whatever endorses their own preconceived biases or prejudices.

Hate is so damned easy.

I think peoples prejudices will colour their ability to rationally decide. Not all people. Just the ones that feel comfortable in their biases and bigotry.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
nope, the mormons are pure evil......one can't visit their worship hour.....they will let you sit-in on the intro service where the children repeat their speel on how great that church is.... for an hour....then you are separate youby two missions dudes in their shirt and tie outfit and the others stare at you as they go into the other sanctuary.
they also , like most false teachers, alter the power of the sacrifice God made on the cross....hail, boys ...there was an eclipse and an earthskain'...and He is the only one to promise to return.....
edit on 19-8-2012 by GBP/JPY because: Yahuweh.....cool name

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

They've might have turned a blind eye to things, but that is different to openly discriminating, and having the leaders teaching the congregation brown people were evil.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by tallcool1
reply to post by Djayed

Thank you! I just cannot understand the hatred, prejudice and judgement preached by most "Christian" churches these days. They need to dust off their Bibles and read only the words spoken by Christ. Who do they think they are judging and discriminating. If Jesus were here today in the flesh, he would be hanging out with the very "dark skinned" people that the Mormons apparently condemn along with gays, drug users, non church goers and all the other people that most churches comdemn. He Himself would once again point out the sins of the churches while showing love and compassion to the people of the world who are sinners according to churches.

Again I couldn't agree with you more...but I would watch out for Nuns flying in through your windows on ropes holding AK's.

The Catholic Nun SWAT team, pretty sure an alarm went off as soon as you hit "reply". Those nuns have been looking for me as soon as I stepped into an "alternative church"....lol

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   

They've might have turned a blind eye to things, but that is different to openly discriminating, and having the leaders teaching the congregation brown people were evil.

As opposed to allowing white people to beat and kill them? I don't mean to be rude but how old are you? We were nasty assed bastards only a few decades ago. And that is the mainstream.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

Ha - those nuns have actually been hunting me since I left the Roman Catholic church over 30 years ago. I read a Bible one day and thought to myself "What does the Catholic faith have in common with Jesus's teachings?"

And the obvious answer was "nothing". I've never been back.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Racism isn't in Catholics religion/holy book and church, but it is sure in the Mormon religion. They will not retract their racist beliefs in CURRENT DAY. A black member asked them to and they wouldn't.

In 1995, black church member A. David Jackson asked church leaders to issue a declaration repudiating past doctrines that treated black people as inferior. In particular, Jackson asked the church to disavow the 1949 "Negro Question" declaration from the church Presidency which stated "The attitude of the church with reference to negroes ... is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord ... to the effect that negroes ... are not entitled to the priesthood...".[51

The church leadership did not issue a repudiation, and so in 1997 Jackson, aided by other church members including Armand Mauss, sent a second request to church leaders, which stated that white Mormons felt that the 1978 revelation resolved everything, but that black Mormons react differently when they learn the details. He said that many black Mormons become discouraged and leave the church or become inactive. "When they find out about this, they exit... You end up with the passive African Americans in the church".[52]
]

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

As opposed to allowing white people to beat and kill them? I don't mean to be rude but how old are you? We were nasty assed bastards only a few decades ago. And that is the mainstream.

I agree with you, it was not that long ago where blacks were not welcomed in white churches, Ect. But I think what Realspoke is trying to say is that it was written in the Mormon bible that Blacks were not welcomed.

So when Mormons had it in text, the christians just practiced it...

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

I think the country has so many serious problems now that the Mormon issue is all but dead for most.

If it comes down to 4 more years of Obama or a Mormon POTUS that’s a no-briainer! Bring on the Mormon!!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Romney went along with OPEN racism that the church held, when they wouldn't let black people be priests.

They still hold the official stance that black people hold the sin of Cain, are cursed, and sinful.

Republican RELIGIOUS BIGOT.

Makes one think that a LOT of Republicans today are secret Mormons based on the way they act...

Instead of making the SUPER-WEALTHY start paying their FAIR-SHARE (some of them SUPER-WEALTHY BASTARDS are even getting REFUNDS while RAKING IN BILLIONS in profits!!), he wishes to CUT and GUT everything that benefits the poor and middle-class. The BASTARD is against the poor, and the middle-class and OBVIOUSLY, the "stained" people.

Now I see WHY he HATES the average American citizen and expects us to receive ALL of the BURDEN and SACRIFICE to handle the country's debt issue....

Any African American that votes for him is just out of their MINDS!!!!!!!!!

Any poor, or middle-class, or senior citizen, or women are ALSO out of their minds to vote for him.

Romney and Paul Ryan (EVIL, CORRUPT version of Beavis & Butthead) are the SUPER-WEALTHY's Knights in shining armor. While the REST of us will be completely screwed with them in charge...

EVERYONE of us average folks will be counted and viewed as being of the "stained" if Romney gets in...

This clown is all about SCREWING THE AVERAGE AMERICAN FOLKS which I am BETTING is what "HIS" "God" (in HIS mind) would be happy with seeing him do...

edit on 19-8-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag
reply to post by Djayed

I think the country has so many serious problems now that the Mormon issue is all but dead for most.

If it comes down to 4 more years of Obama or a Mormon POTUS that’s a no-briainer! Bring on the Mormon!!

That's actually something I haven't thought about, him being Mormon was kind of a big thing during the primary but it stopped being an issue as soon as republicans started to think Romney was going to be the nominee....

Don't you still think the republicans that had a lot of bad things to say about Romney being Mormon, still care he's a Mormon? Republican voters usually do not flip flop on things they are against? Gay marriage, tax increases for the rich? What makes the Mormon issue different?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Something has been missed in all this. Mitt wasn't the Republicans choice. He was the choice of the republicans. The people, not the party. The GOP didn't want him, that's why Newt stayed in the race so long. The people said, F you to the party and selected Romney. That says something.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join