It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney's Faith-Will Some Christians Not Accept a Mormon President???

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Hey ATS Posters, there are many threads on Obama/Romney/Ryan either defending or criticizing them on their policies or even personal matters. Now I am not claiming to be really religious because I am not. But I know of many "Christians" that tell me they will not vote for Romney, but Obama because Mormons are a Cult. While telling their Spouses or other friends that are republicans that they are going to vote for Romney.

I came across this post here on ATS from 2011by ChesterJohn

Here is a list of just a few sample of their belief. This is not made up this comes from ex-Mormons who questioned the teaching of LDS in light of the Bible.
1) Mormons believe God is not eternal, or even the only God, but was who inhabited a planet in the star system Kolob.
2) They believe they are saved by obeying Mormon doctrine.
3) They believe that God had a god that elevated God to godhood and that they, too, can be elevated to godhood.
4) They believe they lived as full-grown adults (the Doctrine of Pre-existence) in a spirit world before they were born. In Pre-Existence, they had friends and family and relationships and knowledge. While there, they were presented with the Plan of Salvation, which included being given a choice to be born as humans with the prize at the end being godhood of their own planet. They didn't have to and some were content to stay in the spirit world where they were already in heaven instead of taking the plunge and getting a shot at being God.
5) They believe that when their spirits passed into existence, they also passed through a Veil of Forgetfulness where they forgot their previous spirit lives. Here, they recreate their pre-existent families as eternal families.
6) Jesus and Satan were brothers and God liked Jesus' plan best so Satan rebelled. Mormons don't believe in the sin nature, or 'original sin'.
7) Mormons believe the purpose of human existence is to become like God.
8) Mormons also believe it is ok to lie about their beliefs and affiliations to non-Mormons and to new Mormon recruits under the 'principle' of "milk before meat.". So they are free to deny the crazier parts, (God was a man, there are lots of Gods, including them, they take spirit wives to become goddesses, etc.) on the principle that until a Mormon has been sufficiently indoctrinated, they will recognize how crazy it sounds and maybe refuse to join or even quit and then spread the word.
9) Mormons believe that after they die, they move back to the spirit world. Some of them are imprisoned for not believing the Mormon gospel while on earth. Those that never heard the Mormon Gospel will be visited by Mormon spirit missionaries.
10) Mormons believe that the dead can be saved after death if they are baptized by proxy by living Mormons.
11) Mormons in this spirit world can still sin: "Those who are righteous in this life will still be righteous. Those who were unrighteous will still be unrighteous. We will have the same desires after we die as we had while on this earth" (Gospel Fundamentals, "Life after Death," pg 195.).
12) Resurrection is a several parts and only those that had a perfect knowledge of the divinity of Christ yet chose Satan will be damned. The rest will go through various stages of perfection while in the post-life spirit world.
13) If you miss your dog, don't worry. Fido, (as well as every other dog, cat, hamster, pigeon, aardvark and platypus) will ALSO be resurrected during the last of the, umm, seven different resurrections taught by the LDS. 14) The Mormon Plan of Salvation is in seven parts as well, with final stage, logically enough, called the Final Judgment.
15) At Final Judgment, those finally judged go to one of three heavens, as befits their works, or to the Outer Darkness, which is Mormon hell. this is not a complete list of cultish doctrine but stand to suffice as proof why many Christians believe Mormonism is a cult

Now this is the question ATS, put the politics aside. What is your opinion on the Mormon Religion and would you let that factor in if you will vote for Romney? I know people had a hard time with JFK being Catholic but he still won the presidency.

And if you are voting for Romney did you look into Mormons? Are there Mormons on here that can disagree with some of the things mentioned in the quoted post above?
edit on 8/19/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Galatians 1:8

But even if we, or an angel from heaven, should preach to you a gospel contrary to what we have preached to you, he is to be accursed.

The above is the Bibles take on Mormons, as Mormons claim that an angel delivered a "new" gospel to them...

So if your a "bible" believing christian you would not view the Mormons as a christian denomination.

I also have a problem with anyone who would have the Hubris to believe they could one day become the god of their own world... (which is what Mormon theology expounds)

That being said I have a problem with anyone with strong religious views taking office as an American, I didn't like Bush and his references to God either.

If Romney can separate his faith from the job of POTUS than so be it.

I also know that Mormonism is a uniquely "American" religion, that church believes a time will come when America will abandon the Constitutions and that a Mormon will restore America.

Lastly I wont be voting for either of the two Clowns running, for once I am voting for who I want, and not who they tell me I have to.
edit on 19-8-2012 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Thanks for your point of view!!! It is refreshing hearing this from an ATS'er!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I never thought I would see a US president that was black. Or partially so. That happened. I don't think being a Mormon at this time in our history will be a problem on the large scale. People may vote against him but I don't think it will be due to religion.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

but I don't think it will be due to religion.

Yep, there are plenty of reasons not to vote for him, least of which is his religious view point.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I never thought I would see a US president that was black. Or partially so. That happened.

You are right on that, I never thought I would see a Black President in my lifetime, but I did!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

I'm espiscopal.

I lived in Utah for years. I have great friends that are LDS. My family was warmly welcomed into the LDS community.
We weren't preached to. We weren't brainwashed. We weren't hated. I'm not even white, but it made no difference to anyone that I ever met that was LDS.
We'd go fishing. I'd drink beer, they drank lemonade. We'd joke that they were "Gods designated drivers".
My family would welcome them into our home during Christmas for apple juice and Chistmas deserts.
I've gone to baptism ceremonies at the LDS church. Friends invited us.
Our children would play together.
When I had a surgery, my padre showed up at the hospital to say a prayer. The Bishop of the ward I lived in came by as well. Both were welcomed warmly.
Nicest people I've ever met.
Hard working.
Honest.
Family oriented.
My LDS friends watched Battlestar Galactica at my house, or I'd go over to a neighbors.
I was on the neighborhood watch at the ward I lived in.
On sundays, they'd go to their church, we'd go to our church.

Any questions?

edit on 19-8-2012 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Well as long as the president doesn't push their personal religious agendas on the citizens and try to change the constitution everything should be OK

Nobody seems to care that the president we have now was brought up as a Muslim later to be call himself a Christian for obvious reason.

So nothing to see here, actually.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Religious or not.

Romneys still not the guy you want sitting on the POTUS throne

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Well - I am a Christian, but I also believe that the Bible is not 100% accurate. I believe that the Old Testament is more of a narrative of the history of ancient Israel than it is the "word of God". What I mean by that is that I believe that the ancient Jews (or Israelites-whichever is the "correct" term) believed that everything that happened was God's will. If they suffered, they believed God was angry. If they prospered or defeated an enemy, they believed God was rewarding them. Personally I don't believe that God does much (if anything) to affect our lives at all. We were created, we live our mortal life, and then we go on to our eternal life with God and all that have lived before us. I believe Jesus the Christ came to remind us that we need to love everyone - regardless of what they do. We are to try to live as examples - not by pointing out everyone else's "sins" while hypocritically sinning ourselves. Teach by being an example of loving and serving everyone around you. Humbling yourself...but that's not really the point of this thread.

Having said all that, as a Christian I absolutely could vote for a Mormon President as long as he was not attempting to make his religion be the law of the land. That does not mean I am voting for Romney. I am just saying that I could vote for a Mormon. I am back and forth at the moment on my vote, but most likely my vote will be for a write in candidate. On the other hand, I will not give Obushma a fourth term. All Obama has done so far is be Bush's third term on steroids.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

A real Chrsitian wouldn't accept the Mormon racist cult. This religion was created in semi-modern times, why would anyone think the guy (Joseph Smith( that created it was a prophet. He also taught that native Americans were Israelites, which was completely wrong. They taught that black people were cursed from Ham and were on the Earth to be the devils messenger.

Romney was 30 years old when they were still OPENLY discriminating against black people, not letting them be priests. He clearly accepted the racism in the church, and supported it by donating money. Being in that sort of church is no better than going to a KKK church. They taught similar things.

And don't go on about how there are black people that are Mormons. Of course there are, black people can hate themselves. If they join a church who won't retract their racist beliefs then they clearly hate themselves. Religion brainwashes people to think ridiculous things and go along with it.

Many LDS church documents and church leaders asserted that dark skin was an indication of sin or a curse.[38][39][40] One belief held by some LDS members was that skin color of Native Americans would gradually change from dark to light as they repented of their sins.[41][42][43]

In 1995, black church member A. David Jackson asked church leaders to issue a declaration repudiating past doctrines that treated black people as inferior. In particular, Jackson asked the church to disavow the 1949 "Negro Question" declaration from the church Presidency which stated "The attitude of the church with reference to negroes ... is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord ... to the effect that negroes ... are not entitled to the priesthood...".[51]

The church leadership did not issue a repudiation, and so in 1997 Jackson, aided by other church members including Armand Mauss, sent a second request to church leaders, which stated that white Mormons felt that the 1978 revelation resolved everything, but that black Mormons react differently when they learn the details. He said that many black Mormons become discouraged and leave the church or become inactive. "When they find out about this, they exit... You end up with the passive African Americans in the church".[52]

www.mormonwiki.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

edit on 19-8-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Oh yea, I forgot the hole dark skinned people (meaning anyone other than white) where "Sinful" and cursed to have darker skin (with African Americans being the worst sinners)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
Romney was 30 years old when they were still OPENLY discriminating against black people, not letting them be priests. He clearly accepted the racism in the church, and supported it by donating money. Being in that sort of church is no better than going to a KKK church. They taught similar things.

Not sure if that's a fair representation of the man. Look at our society 60 years ago. That would be Catholics and Protestants. What could they do back then? Beat the crap out of your wife and kids. Beat the crap out of, or even kill, a black person. Or a gay. To lump him with his past is to bring up our own. And THAT ain't pretty. Thankfully we have evolved.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Look at our society 60 years ago.

If Romney was 30, 60 years ago thatd make him 90. Which it wasn't 60 years ago, try much sooner, so how is that relevant?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

This wasn't 60 years ago, this was 1978, that is nearly 1980. Romney went along with OPEN racism that the church held, when they wouldn't let black people be priests. Were you racist in 1980? They still hold the official stance that black people hold the sin of Cain, are cursed, and sinful.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, he who rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and he will commend you. For he is God’s servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God’s servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also because of conscience" Romans 13:1-5

The delegated authorities exist because God ordained them, godly or ungodly. Mormons have accepted another gospel than what was preached. Freemasonry is stamped all over the organisation. Freemasonry is the little horn of Daniel which ushers in the son of perdition. So no, I will not be voting. God will give us the leader that reflects our sins. The more we depart from Him, the more correction coming our way. Unfortunately, millions sense something coming, yet do not understand nor believe that what He spoke in scripture is Truth.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by Djayed

A real Chrsitian wouldn't accept the Mormon racist cult. This religion was created in semi-modern times, why would anyone think the guy (Joseph Smith( that created it was a prophet. He also taught that native Americans were Israelites, which was completely wrong. They taught that black people were cursed from Ham and were on the Earth to be the devils messenger.

And don't go on about how there are black people that are Mormons. Of course there are, black people can hate themselves. If they join a church who won't retract their racist beliefs then they clearly hate themselves. Religion brainwashes people to think ridiculous things and go along with it.

Many LDS church documents and church leaders asserted that dark skin was an indication of sin or a curse.[38][39][40] One belief held by some LDS members was that skin color of Native Americans would gradually change from dark to light as they repented of their sins.[41][42][43]

In 1995, black church member A. David Jackson asked church leaders to issue a declaration repudiating past doctrines that treated black people as inferior. In particular, Jackson asked the church to disavow the 1949 "Negro Question" declaration from the church Presidency which stated "The attitude of the church with reference to negroes ... is not a matter of the declaration of a policy but of direct commandment from the Lord ... to the effect that negroes ... are not entitled to the priesthood...".[51]

The church leadership did not issue a repudiation, and so in 1997 Jackson, aided by other church members including Armand Mauss, sent a second request to church leaders, which stated that white Mormons felt that the 1978 revelation resolved everything, but that black Mormons react differently when they learn the details. He said that many black Mormons become discouraged and leave the church or become inactive. "When they find out about this, they exit... You end up with the passive African Americans in the church".[52]

www.mormonwiki.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

I tend to lean towards this statement, but I also think if they were able to keep their religion separate I wouldn't care if he was a "Pastafarian" , but like many other extremist Religions it is against their belief not to live by their doctrine day in and day out, even at work.

I had a friend that couldn't go to his sisters wedding because he was not a Mormon. They made him stand out side of the temple. They also buried his dad in a green robes with gold ropes tied around his waste(he was not allowed in the church for that either, he just saw his Mom take the robes out of the chest and said that is what his dad was going to be buried in!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

OMGosh! I was not aware of this. Thank you for pointing that out. After almost a half century of life, I can still learn something new every day. That really is disgusting.
How discrimination can not only be tolerated but also reaffirmed by any organization claiming to be Christian is so...anti-Christian. That goes for all discrimination - whether racial, anti gay or whatever. That's why I do not belong to any religion or religious church. This kind of hate goes against the teachings of Christ who taught us to unconditionally love everyone...even those who nailed him to the tree.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Djayed

My friend I metioned above grew up Mormon but when he was 17 he refused not to watch tv, he refused to go on his mission, and he got tattoos.

So he was banned from being a member of the church.

edit on 8/19/2012 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I could add equally horrid stories about some baptists I know.

People are going to believe whatever endorses their own preconceived biases or prejudices.

Hate is so damned easy.

Pity.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join