It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is karma linked to Law of attraction?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ive always felt that there was something about Karma, but couldnt put my finger on it. The idea that because you have done wrong will come back on you, but who is deciding whats right and wrong? Im not sure the universe knows the difference, for example you steal and the universe is like ohhh no no we cant have that. That doesnt really work for me.

BUT, I was just thinking that maybe the karma is generated through the individual? The LOA states that what you put out you get back, so my thinking is along the lines of what you are feeling when doing something be it good or bad.

For example if you steal something, I dont care what your mental state is or wether your a 'seasoned' theif or not, deep down YOU know and FEEL that it is wrong. The same if you helped an old lady to her door with her heavy shopping bags, YOU will know and FEEL that its right, also the victim/beneficiary of the deed will also know and feel, and there feels will be directed towards you.

Which takes us back to the LOA and what you put out you get back, you do a good deed, you feel good about it and the other person feels good towards you about it and the universe reacts by bringing more positivity to you.

Any thoughts?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Im not sure the universe knows the difference

You "feel" if something is right / wrong. And you are also part of the universe aren't you? Energy has a positive and a negative side. And the whole universe consists of energy. So i believe that if you give out negative energy, you attract that energy back at you.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
That's a better interpretation than the "Cosmic Judicial System" that some people believe Karma is.

Karma is simply "doing," or "action." Whatever you do, is your karma. Whatever happens to you is your doing. Feelings are just the interpretation of that doing. Does that mean that good deeds beget good deeds? Not forever they won't. You can't have Yin without Yang. Eventually, the milk turns sour.
Within all action (which is energy) is the positive and the negative. That is simply inescapable. This is why it's said that all life is a vibration, a pattern, a pulsation, and what have you.

Nature always finds a way to balance things out. In that effect, the cosmos are definitely intelligent and knows what it's doing automatically without needing to think about it, just like you don't need to think about beating your heart. We're simply a less primitive form of that intelligence but nonetheless still apart of it. That is part of the reasoning behind whatever it is that happens to us is our doing, even if it was the outward world that did it, or the inward world such as our organs that did it.

So... karma is linked to all happening, whatever it is.
edit on 19/8/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
I hate structure.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PillarOfStrenght
I hate structure.

Are you saying you hate existance?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Slave NO MORE

You "feel" if something is right / wrong. And you are also part of the universe aren't you? Energy has a positive and a negative side. And the whole universe consists of energy. So i believe that if you give out negative energy, you attract that energy back at you.

Dude thats exactly what I said in the op lol.

My point is that the things you feel bring on the good/bad returns of karma, not the action itself.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Idonthaveabeard

Originally posted by Slave NO MORE

My point is that the things you feel bring on the good/bad returns of karma, not the action itself.

I meant to reply on: "Im not sure the universe knows the difference ".
Since you are part of the universe and you know the difference, that would suggest that the universe know the difference doesn't it?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I've too wondered about this and my only conclusion would be, for this to be true, is that we are our own God's so to speak. Our own rulers of existence.

I posted this question on a supposes Law of Attraction forum once and the people basically just said "Oh, the Universe will always do what it thinks is best for you." But I can't imagine the Universe actually thinks, even the image of God I would say does not limit itself to such things as "thinking".

Just how exactly would the Universe know what is best for me when it has no moral compass? Is it basing its decisions off my moral compass or perhaps what my moral compass should be?

One thing some people worry about, I included, is that you could cause a "blood-money" situation. "Oh, Universe, please let me obtain a large sum of money." then somebody in your family dies and you get their money. Not exactly a happy situation.

I think, ultimately, it comes down to matter what you think, you can manifest it, even if it is a bad thought. But who knows.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I'm not an authority on karma, but I disagree with the above. The action itself is a manifestation of the thought/energy, I agree that thoughts and energy can be very powerful but the action or 'doing' of something, good or bad, must be accountable to the law of karma.

I think even if you have good intentions but your actions have unforeseen or unintented consequences you can be held accountable. It is my understanding (or belief at this moment) that the law of karma is a natural conscious law, and that even the Gods are subject to the law of karma, although they are faced with a more strict 'version' due to their comprehension and knowledge. The higher they are, the harder they fall....

Regards

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

In reply to the orignal question, in my opinion the law of karma is linked to the law of attraction (and others), but is independant and superceeds it.

Regards

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Slave NO MORE

What are you saying? ..oO

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PillarOfStrenght

Not much, just joking arround
No offence!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Sorry, the man came down from the fields and unintented, for he was only walking??

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
This is a feeling universe,and that of inclusion,nothing is accident,all is a present,depends how you feel,can be just a tough,or action,the idea is to maintain stillness......

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Generally speaking, the two are related. They basically point to the same thing. But do not think karma 'is' law of attraction or that law of attraction 'is' karma. If you think that, you'll be projecting your pre-defined interpretation of one onto the other. That pre-defined interpretation is probably not the real thing exactly, which I hope you don't take in an offensive way. Just see what it is all pointing to, then things like 'law of attraction' and 'karma' describe various aspects of it.

I could attempt to give more detail on my explanations for how it is structured...but I am sleep-deprived...mind not working...lol

edit on 19-8-2012 by TheJourney because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Karma is simply "doing," or "action." Whatever you do, is your karma.

Correct! The Sanskrit root of the word is a verb meaning 'to do'.

The effect of karma is simply the effect of consequences. I do something; the results of my deed affect others, causing them to act differently from how they otherwise might have done. This, in turn, brings about other results. The ripples of consequence spread outward, eventually covering the whole pond – the whole of physical reality – and interacting with the ripples caused by other people's actions and 'acts of God' to create innumerable, unpredictable effects. Eventually (possibly in another birth) some of these effects will come round and affect you.

As far as I understand it, the Law of Attraction is simply the belief that wishes can come true if you wish hard enough. There is a kind of psychological truth to this, because if one desires something very strongly, one tends to act, often unconsciously, in ways that help bring about what is desired. So it is related to karma, in that sense – our wishes change our actions, but our actions are our karma, so perhaps our wishes will shape our karma so that we attain what we desire.

However, one should not be too sanguine. We are often disappointed when our wishes are granted, because we find that the thing we wished for isn't all it's cracked up to be, contains unpleasant surprises, or comes at a terrible price. Our wishful thinking is only one small, weak tendency in the vast complex of causes and effects that bears upon each of us. The workings of karma, as the Buddha explained, are far too complex to track and predict. To us, they seem random – the workings of happenstance.

Believers in the Law of Attraction may see the workings of karma as fulfilment of their belief. However, karma cannot be controlled or predicted, and wishful thinking is far more likely to fail in any given set of circumstances than to succeed. If one insists on having goals in life, then the way to attain them is to work as hard as possible towards them. The wishing happens automatically.

edit on 19/8/12 by Astyanax because: of all kinds of things.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Idonthaveabeard

The idea that because you have done wrong will come back on you, but who is deciding whats right and wrong?

the meta system knows

the system above us to which we are connected

our intelligence (physical and metaphysical) as being part of Intelligence

that is the system that gives us our definition, our senses that seem to have inbuilt knowledge of assessing and knowing situations, circumstances, right from wrong, consequences etc. without us knowing why we know - eg how comes our body knows to bleed when we cut ourselves

it gives us understanding of our predicaments in the face of our existence and gives us opportunities to change and align ourselves to be successful

this ‘meta system’ (as I call it, you may give it some other name) is our manual but is unfortunately written in a language or code that is not easy to read maybe because we have not yet fully activated our potential to do so

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by applecore

the meta system knows. the system above us to which we are connected

This is your personal belief. It may be right or wrong, but it is not the way karma is commonly understood to work.

Karma is best thought of as a law of nature, like gravity or inertia. No knowledge is involved – it all happens automatically. There is no ultimate consciousness that sees and judges and passes sentence.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

Does that mean that good deeds beget good deeds? Not forever they won't. You can't have Yin without Yang. Eventually, the milk turns sour.

But that doesn't make sense (I don't mean this in an offensive way - that's why I gave you a star
).
It is tantamount to saying there is a sort of "karma" entropy.

I can understand the notion of "Yin" and "Yang", but why should that equal what we call "bad" and "good"?
You said it yourself, these labels are subject to interpretation - albeit a universally acknowledged interpretation, even by beings who do not share our languages: "bad" is what causes pain and/or destruction; "good" is the opposite, more or less. (Everything else is sophistry.
)

As I see the "Yin" and "Yang", they could be likened to the ebb and flow, to augmentation and diminution, and so on - not necessarily to what we call "good" and" bad". Because we can have augmentation/diminution without perceiving it as particularly painful/pleasurable, good/bad, even according to our subjective, experience-based, yet universally accepted interpretation we are all familiar with.

So, at a cosmic level, why should it be somehow mandatory that what we call "bad" should follow what we call "good", and vice versa?

(Nor does my personal and observed experience corroborate this. I have seen people who have lived out their lives placidly and quite pleasantly from the beginning to the end, and people who basically suffered from day one. There was very little "Yin-Yang" pendulum action apparent in those lives.)

I should add that I don't believe in the concept of "karma" myself.
(And have a strong dislike of people who use it flippantly, as it is commonly used.)
I am certainly open to the idea that it might be valid and real, but I currently see no reason to believe in it, and don't base my actions in life on its presumed existence.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Vanitas because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join