It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do I deal with Someone with such a Narrow Mind?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Friend, you just described my own childhood with my Mother. A true pentecostal fundie, I was demonized because I see the dead, and hated because I got myself kicked out of her Church. She completely disowned my in 1987, moved to a different State, and dies in a nursing home, all alone save my uncle, her brother. This is one of the reasons I rant on Christianity so much. Just because I would not join her cult, and believe me, a Pentecostal Assembly of God church is so much like a cult one cannot tell the difference.

I just can't imagine why they did not like me.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

How do you feel now that you have posted this? Ill bet you feel great! Good for you.

This type of criticism, and mockery disgusts me. NO I AM NOT PROTESTANT.

This is unnecessary to the topic at hand , and an unjustified attack of others religion.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by bourbon2nite

How do you feel now that you have posted this? Ill bet you feel great! Good for you.

This type of criticism, and mockery disgusts me. NO I AM NOT PROTESTANT.

This is unnecessary to the topic at hand , and an unjustified attack of others religion.

I was simply responding in kind to the OP. What I said was about my own childhood in Northern Indiana in the 1960s in an Assembly of God Church. I saw things there I will never forget. Things just like in the videos. And to my mind, these kind of people are not real Christians at all, they only provide lip service.
I meant you no harm, it is not Christians that I fight, it is Christianity in general. The leadership, head of the Serpent, as it were.
I have seen a worship service like this one too, in West Virginia in 1979.

These are real Christians, and would probably kill you if you told them different. They worship Jesus just as all Christians do. Just because you do not do these things, or attend a Church such as this, does not mean it don't exist, I assure you it does. Christianity is so corrupted it is a wonder it is still all together, and in a way it isn't, look at all the different sects, some of which could be considered cults. You cannot be all good.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Seems like you have taken problems between a mother and daughter, and once again turned it into an agenda to bash on Christians..

Yep , no matter what the thread is really about, you find a way to sneak your hatred of Christians into it..

How sad.

edit on 20-8-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Wrong question because it might be you with the problem.

The question should be, "why can't you ignore them?"

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:30 AM
link   
I moved out when I was 17. Living in a cardboard box was preferable to being made to have the same boyish short hairdo as my mum all my life and forced to wear her taste in clothes.

Until you can move it's probably better just to keep opinions to yourself, chill a bit and learn the subtle eye roll. Hell, my mother still has odd views but what can you expect from a woman who swears blind that she blew out a bit of her brain out once when she blew her nose.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

Seems like you have taken problems between a mother and daughter, and once again turned it into an agenda to bash on Christians..

Yep , no matter what the thread is really about, you find a way to sneak your hatred of Christians into it..

How sad.

edit on 20-8-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

Hmm. Let me be clear here. Not Christians, but rather, and instead, Christianity the Organization is what I fight against.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I moved out when I was 17. Living in a cardboard box was preferable to being made to have the same boyish short hairdo as my mum all my life and forced to wear her taste in clothes.

Until you can move it's probably better just to keep opinions to yourself, chill a bit and learn the subtle eye roll. Hell, my mother still has odd views but what can you expect from a woman who swears blind that she blew out a bit of her brain out once when she blew her nose.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

That is EXACTLY my situation! Lol. My mother has the "boyish" haircut and even forced me to allow her to cut my hair until I finally started saying no at the age of 14. She would give me the bowl cut and none of the boys liked me and most of the other kids picked on me and called me a lesbian. I finally said enough was enough and started doing whatever I wanted with my own hair.

And yes, I'm sorry if I came off as a selfish spoiled brat a few days ago. I was upset and needed to rant a bit. Sometimes you get a bit tired of hearing the same old things over and over but I AM greatful for everything my mother DOES do for me as it is... I'm just never going to conform to her ideas with homosexuality or cut my hair.

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Hmm. Let me be clear here. Not Christians, but rather, and instead, Christianity the Organization is what I fight against.

Actually you have a problem with Judaism, which is what Christianity was founded upon.

Like many others here who attack the bible you put it all on the shoulders of Christianity, and Christians, and never once mention Judaism and the Jews.

Because the mother has a problem accepting homosexuality does not necessarily make her Christian either, which was another assumption on your part, and a reason to rant against Christianity.

Muslims , Jews, and many other religions are strongly opposed to homosexuality so it is not just a "Christianity" thing".

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

That is EXACTLY my situation! Lol. My mother has the "boyish" haircut and even forced me to allow her to cut my hair until I finally started saying no at the age of 14. She would give me the bowl cut and none of the boys liked me and most of the other kids picked on me and called me a lesbian. I finally said enough was enough and started doing whatever I wanted with my own hair. And yes, I'm sorry if I came off as a selfish spoiled brat a few days ago. I was upset and needed to rant a bit. Sometimes you get a bit tired of hearing the same old things over and over but I AM greatful for everything my mother DOES do for me as it is... I'm just never going to conform to her ideas with homosexuality or cut my hair

I understand that sometimes it gets tiring and frustrating hearing the same old things, and thats why there is a rant forum , so you can let some steam off.

I didn't think you sounded ungrateful , and I do think you are grateful for the things she does for you, but are finding it difficult to deal with some of her other issues.

Someday you will be on your own, and you will look back on this time together and maybe have a good chuckle over the "crazier" days. That is my hope for you. If not, at least those days will be behind you, and you will only have to deal with your mom on the days you want to, and you can lay down some ground rules on topics you don't wish to discuss.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Actually you have a problem with Judaism, which is what Christianity was founded upon.

No, I do not. In fact I have two friends who are Jewish by birth, and one is a Rabbi, though not practicing. There are many levels to Judaism, including the Jewish System of Magickal Arts, the Holy Quabbala. And if Christianity was based on Judaism, then why???

Real Christians have a love-hate relationship toward the Jews. While believing the original Hebrew Scriptures to be the infallible and inspired word of God, they also believe the New Testament to be equally, though superceedingly, inspired. This includes Paul's words in which he calls Jews "the enemies of the Gospel." But Paul explains that this had to happen for God's acceptance to be extended to the Gentiles.
source

According to Rabbi, the lives of non-Jews in Israel are safeguarded by divinity, to prevent losses to Jews.
The sole purpose of non-Jews is to serve Jews, according to Rabbi Ovadia Yosef, the head of Shas’s Council of Torah Sages and a senior Sephardi adjudicator.

“Goyim were born only to serve us. Without that, they have no place in the world – only to serve the People of Israel,” he said in his weekly Saturday night sermon on the laws regarding the actions non-Jews are permitted to perform on Shabbat.
source

Jews believe that Jesus was not the messiah.

Christians believe Jesus was the Messiah; Jews do not. Some think this is the only difference between Christianity and Judaism. What you should understand is that there is an entire theology that one must accept in order to believe as Christians do. Jews see this theology as diametrically opposite to what the Bible states.

source

So, as you can see, Christianity and Judaism are like oil and water, the two just won't mix. My Rabbi friend has told me many times that those who worship Jesus as a Messiah, or a God are, "in mortal danger of losing their souls." His words here, not mine.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   

So, as you can see, Christianity and Judaism are like oil and water, the two just won't mix. My Rabbi friend has told me many times that those who worship Jesus as a Messiah, or a God are, "in mortal danger of losing their souls." His words here, not mine.

They believe in the God of the old testament...the very same one that you continually bash, and call cruel and full of hatred.

So your above statements make no sense to me.

They believe in one God, who is all powerful, much different than your belief of multiple gods and godesses.

But enough of the off topic discussion on Christianity , because this is a thread about problems between a mother and daughter, and no where was Christianity mentioned, until of course you decided to bring it into the equation.

Hopefully the OP got off her chest the frustration she was feeling at not being understood.. and respected for her own choices. I can relate to her on many levels.

edit on 22-8-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join