It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Army Has Issued Anti-Suicide Nasal Spray To Keep Troops From Taking The

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

The Army Has Issued Anti-Suicide Nasal Spray To Keep Troops From Taking The

&action_type_map=[%2210152044326185327%22%3A%22og.likes%22 ]&action_ref_map=[]]www.businessinsider.com

The military suicide rate doubled in July. That's one of our troops, almost every day.

To come up with an answer, the Army recently gave 3 million dollars to a university of Indiana research center, and those researchers came back with this: Anti-Suicide Nasal Spray.

Katie Drummond of The Daily reports researchers found a naturally occuring neurochemical called thyrotropin-releasing hormone, or TRH, that has euphoric, calming, anti-depressant effects. News of the nasal spray comes as a relief to some, who had to endure spinal taps for injections of the medicine.
(visit the link for the full news article)

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
So suicide rates suddenly double and the ARMY is waiting in the wings with a magical fairy nose spray to cause sudden euphoria? This seems really fishy to me. I wonder what the side effects of that nose spray are? Chemical lobotomy? Death?

How do they expect that a suicidal person will be cured of their urge to die, just by getting a temporary high? Once the high wears off I would think the suicidal person would just feel even worse.

Overall, this is very strange.

&action_type_map=[%2210152044326185327%22%3A%22og.likes%22 ]&action_ref_map=[]]www.businessinsider.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+49 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
That is very strange, but not surprising. We, as a culture, are taught to treat the symptoms instead of treating the cause. Get them OUT of the hostile, foreign environment, where they're doing things that go against their personal morals and fear for their lives every moment! That's the answer, not nasal spray!

Now, more troops die by their own hands that by the hands of the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

edit on 8/19/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I think it's admirable that measures are being put in place, and the issue is being addressed.

If this was WWII, Vietnam, era, we'd never hear about any of this, and, we didn't back then.

Sure, there's the argument that we shouldn't be in certain places, but, regardless the conflict, regardless the when, where, who, and what of the cause, there will always be detractors.
Importantly, measures are being put in place to assist our troops who need the assistance.

Hopefully this nasal spray is non-addictive, and has no unhappy side effects.

Support your troops, regardless whether you support the cause and reasons they're there, wherever 'there' may be, and for whatever reason.

+6 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

If we had the ability to give unlimited stars, my index finger would be worn down to a bloody stump right now.

This is exactly the same thing doctors do. "Here, just shut up and take this. Stop bothering me."

So instead of getting them real psychological help, they just give them something to snort that will temporarily make them feel better. Also, wouldn't this have the potential to become addictive after extended use?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Reply to post by Xaphan

Maybe the doctors people you know have seen were psychiatrists, they arent really there to talk you through your problems. Their goal is to put you on medication to help you deal. Psychologists do that and they cannot prescribe medication so they couldnt have the shut up and take this attitude.

Having said that though if these troops are experiences negative emotion as a result of the circumstances they are in, counseling would not help with that. I mean it might help them be more positive about it or find a healthier thought system but it would not cure the problem.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Most of these suicides are related to tours of duty in Afghanistan. They aren't allowed to carry enough ammo to shoot the bastards dead. Too many rules in place to "protect" the "civilians" who are helping the taliban. They have to sleep with someone on watch as a Guardian Angel to make sure no Afghans get in there and shoot them up. And the same Afghans they are training are only waiting for an opportunity to pop a shot into one of them.

Afghanistan is a backwards ass country that does not wish to be modernized. They want to continue to live like its back in the 7th century. Its time to leave that damn place but before we do we need to implement the air assault with foliage spray to permanently wipe out those damn poppy flowers that the Afghans use to produce highly concentrate Opium.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Starred.

We don't need happy pills for( nasal spray in this case) our service members, they just need to be treated as human beings, not tools to be used as desired and discarded when broken.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by davolobos
Its time to leave that damn place but before we do we need to implement the air assault with foliage spray to permanently wipe out those damn poppy flowers that the Afghans use to produce highly concentrate Opium.

Brilliant idea... isn't that where most medical grade opiates come from? By doing this people in hospitals would have no Morphine, Codeine, Demerol, Vicodin etc.

Ex

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Rather than suicide, I wish these men would tell what is really going on over there.
I would love some books from some soldiers, like in Vietnam,
the press corp was right there in the trenches.
getting their stories
The military now has press agents that I am sure , like the media in general ,
only tell what they want us to hear.
I truely think that these young American men are doing things that they cannot justify,
even in their own minds!
They know they cannot come back with these things on their conscience, and then they choose suicide.
Write my young heroes, write it all down, and bring the truth home with you!!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Its either placebo, poison, or some experiment, I'm going with the latter of the two. I don't believe a nasal spray can elevate feelings unless its getting people high.
edit on 19-8-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
CAUTION: Side effects may include thoughts of suicide, migraines, diarhea, blurred vision, problems sleeping, illusions of grandeur, nightmares, increased sexual appetite. Do not take while operating heavy equipment!

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

Originally posted by Druscilla
Support your troops, regardless whether you support the cause and reasons they're there, wherever 'there' may be, and for whatever reason.

This has nothing to do with supporting the troops. It's the President's and the Army's actions that I do NOT support. Don't twist it up so it sounds like I'm getting down on the troops. I want them to LIVE and BE HAPPY without taking drugs.

+5 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Socrato

Lets say it does stop suicidal tendencies, why not spray it over the Middle East where the suicide bombers are and calm those people down??

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xaphan

Its time to leave that damn place but before we do we need to implement the air assault with foliage spray to permanently wipe out those damn poppy flowers that the Afghans use to produce highly concentrate Opium.

Brilliant idea... isn't that where most medical grade opiates come from? By doing this people in hospitals would have no Morphine, Codeine, Demerol, Vicodin etc.

I didn't know that.

That stuff doesn't grow anywhere else?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by davolobos

Afghanistan is a backwards ass country that does not wish to be modernized.

Nailed. I killing myself by repeating this for ages...you can switch Afghanistan by a lot of country too...

...permanently wipe out those damn poppy flowers that the Afghans use to produce highly concentrate Opium.

Will never ever happen...The Opium market is controlled by the U.S via the C.I.A...they make alot of money with it so don't expect them to kill the cash cow...why you think they are in afganistan in the first place ?

Opium : BBC News

Afghanistan produces 90% of the world's opium - 5,800 tonnes this year - the main ingredient of heroin.

So no...its not really growing elsewere that's why Afghanistan is so important.

Opium production in Afghanistan rose by an estimated 61% this year compared with 2010, according to a UN report.

...say all..

edit on 19/8/2012 by B3lz3buth because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Why a nasal spray, can't they just give them a pill?

I don't get any of this anymore,

The inmates are definitely running the asylum, no doubt about it.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The spray is only possible because of advances in "nanotechnology delivery systems." Researchers plan to run a full battery of trials over the next few years, and hopefully put the spray not only in the hands of soldiers, but civilians as well.

The scientists say that applications go beyond anti-depression medications.

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

OH goodie, "nanotechnology delivery systems."

I don't trust it.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by Xaphan

I didn't know that.

That stuff doesn't grow anywhere else?

I'm fairly certain that most medical grade opiates are made from a particular strain of Afghani poppies.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
One must also consider the psychological climate of a soldier.

"Aww, is tough guy having feelings? Does tough guy need to go see the psychiatrist again?"

Repeated visits and consultations with medical professionals could very well be seen as a sign of weakness among peers, where at least having the nasal spray available gives a troubled soldier some anonymity from the pressures of peer opinion regarding a condition said peers may not understand and could exacerbate.

A troubled soldier could then at least have a band-aid solution without the time invasive and noticeable intrusion of frequent therapy consultations which could lose him/her status and trust among and along side peers.

Giving soldiers something to mediate the issue is better than nothing at all, though proper clinical therapy may in fact be needed, a soldier's individual reputation and feelings of self worth may depend more on the opinions of the soldiers they work closely with and along side, so, a culture of toughing it out, and walking it off will likely remain prevalent until they discharge their service and can seek proper treatment.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join