It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sioux tribes upset over sale of sacred site in SD

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

The link is off line now. How big are the parcels? I can't remember.

Two million seems absurd. That can't be pre-development. I'm talking about the value of the land before everyone was interested in it. That would be a fair price to ask from the Sioux.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

I'm not sure but I can find out unless there are Lakota members here who could answer that question pretty fast.

Yes, Last I heard each Lot (unsure of the size of the Lots) may sell between $2M to $3M per Lot.

Any Lakota want to correct me please do!

It's nice land too.......
edit on 19-8-2012 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Although I empathize with the native americans and share their blood, I also know that what is going on here is just another sob story attempt to play on emotions and solicit funds from the gulllible and unknowing.

If my Cheyenne neighbor lives in a land of beauty and plentiful resources of game which I covet and if I kill my neighbor or drive him from his ancestral home by force, then claim his land as my own, does that make it right for me to then claim the newly acquired land that I have stolen from my neighbor as sacred? I like the new land that I have stolen from my neighbor and my people thrive there. The tribal elders recite history that came to them in "dreams" but does that make the land sacred to us as the new userpers?

What of the previous owners, The Cheyenne who were driven out of the Black Hills and environs by the Sioux? Do the Sioux not owe them reparations for having killed their people and driven them from their homeland? What of the Kiowa and related tribes from whom the land had been previously stolen? Do they not also deserve reparations?

The Black Hills is indeed a land of beauty and plenty, but it can hardly be any more "sacred" to one bunch of thieves than it was to those from which it was stolen previously. Should not the previous owners (Cheyenne, Kiowa etc. etc.) be entitled to the sympathy of the public rather than the Sioux who are recent thieves who in turn have had the land taken from them by the government? Where does the circle end?

Although I don't have a lot of faith in Wikipedia, it is a convenient source to cite for an excerpt on Siouxian history regarding the Black Hills. en.wikipedia.org...

After 1720, the Lakota branch of the Seven Council Fires split into two major sects, the Saône who moved to the Lake Traverse area on the South Dakota–North Dakota–Minnesota border, and the Oglala-Sicangu who occupied the James River valley. By about 1750, however, the Saône had moved to the east bank of the Missouri River, followed 10 years later by the Oglala and Brulé (Sicangu).

The large and powerful Arikara, Mandan, and Hidatsa villages had long prevented the Lakota from crossing the Missouri. However, the great smallpox epidemic of 1772–1780 destroyed three-quarters of these tribes. The Lakota crossed the river into the drier, short-grass prairies of the High Plains. These newcomers were the Saône, well-mounted and increasingly confident, who spread out quickly. In 1765, a Saône exploring and raiding party led by Chief Standing Bear discovered the Black Hills (the Paha Sapa), then the territory of the Cheyenne. Ten years later, the Oglala and Brulé also crossed the river. In 1776, the Lakota defeated the Cheyenne, who had earlier taken the region from the Kiowa.[citation needed] The Cheyenne then moved west to the Powder River country,[4] and the Lakota made the Black Hills their home.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Why didn't the Sioux ask for it before it was up for sale? How close it is to town(s)?

ETA: Or did they ask for it and then the owners got the bright idea to screw them over?
edit on 8/19/2012 by rtyfx because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by rtyfx

I might be wrong but I think the widow of the actual owner is auctioning it off now that she's getting on in her years

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Old Farmer

Seems like the gods aren't happy unless we are all raping and pillaging.

Is it really our nature or are we just puppets for the real PTB?

I think it unfortunate that no one but the Sioux will end the cycle and forever resolve the issue.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

Well, I suppose she wants to leave something for her kids.

Still doesn't feel right.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Interesting post

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
I'd like to see them buy the land back and detonate Mount Rushmore.

It's be sure to cause one hell of a controversy.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
My question is this, they have a 100 mill sitting somewhere, (gaining interest possibly) and they won't take it? Seems like that would buy a lot of land, feed their people, or open some businesses.

They could use it to buy back the land they want. It would be worth it in the present days to just take the money and run. Is pride stopping them, I don't know. What was a standing point one hundred years ago may not be good for this day and age.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The only thing the Lakota Sioux have ever wanted is their Black Hills. Even the money that is held in trust by the government for them, they do not want. It is to darn bad that we as Americans place more value on the worth of material things, than we do on those things that are sacred and should be respected by everyone.

I have visited this site and it is an obvious sacred site. Native Americans must have access to this site at all cost. I call on State and Federal agencies to assist the Lakota people in attaining this land. We stole the Lakota land once, let us save this for the great Lakota nation now...

It is extremely important to the Sioux Nation that this sacred land is preserved. It is an important part of traditional ceremonies and the teachings of religion in many native american tribes..
peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I wouldn't buy that land if I were Bill Gates for money and my own kid wanted it more than anything in the world.

It's been nearly 20 years but I lived and worked in Keystone, SD for the tail end of the season one year. Wonderful place for a tourist....A nightmare for a worker. Anyway.... The Native Americans I came to know were great people but there was always a deep anger...hostility even..just below the surface. I got one of my friends to talking one night and learned how strongly they ALL consider those Black Hills to be theirs to this day.

Personally..knowing the history of how it was stolen, returned to them then stolen again....I think they have a point too. The Black Hills ARE Sacred. You can feel it, being there. At least I could. When this worthless bunch of crooks is going gangbusters to send 100's of millions to crooks like Solyndra and the rest...... They REALLY need to screw the Native's this one last HARD screw?

I'll tell ya...I wouldn't buy this land because they were on the edge of militant way back then.....I can only imagine how the community is up there now.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I actually kind of wandered if there was hostility over this. I would hope that someday the people there might find peace. It certainly has been a long battle.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

I see what you are saying. Thank you for the history. It truly fascinates me.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Much of that hostility also comes from high unemployment, no heathcare or lack of healthcare services, they are pumped commercial food causing severe numbers on the Reservations diagnosed with Diabetes 2, I think I read somewhere 1 in 3 of their women are subjected to sexual assault (perpetrated mostly by outsiders) and the list just goes on and on. Not one single Treaty or agreement by the Federal Govt and the Chiefs has been abided by the Feds or those in the White House.

The issue with the Black Hills is just another nail in the coffin so to speak.

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Update ~ The auction has been cancelled at the landowner's request. No reason given.

Auction of Sacred Land Cancelled

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

Thank you so much for the update!

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by aaaiii

That was really good news I heard early this morning.

Wonder whats going on.......

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join