It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Have they found something?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
A good few days of high resolution and some colour photos of Mars from curiosity. Then nothing for a while - then only low resolution black and white photos are sent back and from the looks of things either missing data or somebody has cropped the images?

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
reply to post by youwillneverknow

what is on the picture ? it's unrecognizable.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I'm sorry but your picture is irrelevant in the fact that mars is no where on it. But then, that's the point right?
edit on 19/8/12 by IntoxicatingMadness because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Its of Mars - i think it looks like a mountain but as you can see over 2/3 of the picture is blocked out.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness
I'm sorry but your picture is irrelevant in the fact that mars is no where on it. But then, that's the point right?
edit on 19/8/12 by IntoxicatingMadness because: (no reason given)

exactly my point. The picture is 100% taken on mars as it is in the sol 13 gallery on JPL website (NASA).

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Comments about "Something should not have been seen" Are on imminent arrival.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntoxicatingMadness

Comments about "Something should not have been seen" Are on imminent arrival.

What do you mean by that?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Imagine, just for a second, that all of those stories about Mars teleportation and secret bases on Mars are real and people have indeed been living there since the 70's. Now all of the guys are sitting in the galactic lounge, looking out over the martian surface and with just the right kind of eyes you can see a small white speck in the distance.

''Hey Bob, what do you think that is?''

''Oh that? Thats the new Curiousity rover, it just arrived a few weeks ago.''

''What idiots. I suppose they'll never know any better. We should knock some golf balls over. Realy freak them out.''

''Hahaha. Yeah, draw an arrow in the sand. That will totally f**k with their minds.''

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Thats hilarious lol but that little white dot I wasnt suggesting was anything lol - thats just a rock probably lmao

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by youwillneverknow
A good few days of high resolution and some colour photos of Mars from curiosity. Then nothing for a while - then only low resolution black and white photos are sent back and from the looks of things either missing data or somebody has cropped the images?

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

They told us even before it landed that it would be going through a couple of weeks of testing, so this is expected.

Even those first high-res images we saw on sol 3 were simply tests of the high-res camera. For the past few days, they have been testing the other instruments (there are 10 other scientific instruments that are NOT cameras). For example, they will soon be testing the rock-zapping high-powered laser -- powerful enough to vaporize a portion of the rock.

Besides, the rover hasn't even moved yet (they still have not completed the testing of the wheels), so any additional pictures will just be of things we have already seen. Even those black areas where you pointed out missing data could be seen in the images that have already been released.

edit on 8/19/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

mars.jpl.nasa.gov...

They told us even before it landed that it would be going through a couple of weeks of testing, so this is expected.

Even those first high-res images we saw on sol 3 were simply tests of the high-res camera. For the past few days, they have been testing the other instruments (there are 10 other scientific instruments that are NOT cameras). For example, they will soon be testing the rock-zapping high-powered laser -- powerful enough to vaporize a portion of the rock.

Besides, the rover hasn't even moved yet (they still have not completed the testing of the wheels), so any additional pictures will just be of things we have already seen. Even those black areas where you pointed out missing data could be seen in the images that have already been released.

edit on 8/19/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

Good points made there, whats your theory on why there is missing parts of the photos?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

We will know what is on mars when they want us to know and not before...I figure it will be along while.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Would you agree with my assumption that there is something there that they have discovered (something "alien" to earth) and that is the reason for this mission?

Bad wording as everything is alien to Earth but you get the meaning?
edit on 19-8-2012 by youwillneverknow because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Had a quick look a the mission pics and all the pics taken with the Navcams appear to be B&W, but the ones taken with Mastcam appear in colour, so maybe nothing odd, just that the Navcams don't need to render in colour. As for missing or deleted data, your guess is as good as mine.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Mars is what Earth would be without a strong magnetic field caused by a living core. You people are hilarious, any life on mars will be microbial at best. Previous life, who knows. Unless we discover bones or fragments of old civilizations. But even that will be unlikely due to the pretty common dust storms, gale force winds and low humidity. Things deteriorate pretty fast in those conditions.

Testing phase of curiosity will last around a month, after that they will start their experiments. As for the black boxes in the photo, look to the sky, see that speck or dot or star. Maybe they were trying to focus on the sky and not the ground.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by AaronWilson
Mars is what Earth would be without a strong magnetic field caused by a living core. You people are hilarious, any life on mars will be microbial at best. Previous life, who knows. Unless we discover bones or fragments of old civilizations. But even that will be unlikely due to the pretty common dust storms, gale force winds and low humidity. Things deteriorate pretty fast in those conditions.

Testing phase of curiosity will last around a month, after that they will start their experiments. As for the black boxes in the photo, look to the sky, see that speck or dot or star. Maybe they were trying to focus on the sky and not the ground.

Your post is based on "life as we know it on Earth" - who is to say life outside of Earth cannot exist beyond micro-organisms , why couldnt more complex forms of life exist in a hostile environment like mars - if Darwins theory of Evolution is true then organisms evolve based on their environment, so with millions of years to spare on Mars and millions of years already passed I dont think it is entirely unreasonable to believe that there is more complex life than micro-organisms on the planet? - my opinion anyway :-)

but im glad we made you laugh ;-)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Your post is based on "life as we know it on Earth" - who is to say life outside of Earth cannot exist beyond micro-organisms , why couldnt more complex forms of life exist in a hostile environment like mars - if Darwins theory of Evolution is true then organisms evolve based on their environment, so with millions of years to spare on Mars and millions of years already passed I dont think it is entirely unreasonable to believe that there is more complex life than micro-organisms on the planet? - my opinion anyway :-)

And if we find no life does that disprove Darwin's great deception once and for all? Does it simply mean the creators hand never planted the seed of life on Mars?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   

You got the wheels to turning. I suddenly remembered reading about people on our planet that see things outside of our standard visual spectrum.

What if there are things right in front of our eyes, that we just can't see because they fall outside of our normal visual spectrum?

I guess anything is possible. We just don't know enough to know what we don't know.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

And if we find no life does that disprove Darwin's great deception once and for all? Does it simply mean the creators hand never planted the seed of life on Mars?

If we find no life at all there then thats how it is - my point to Aaron is that IF there is life to be found on Mars, just because the perfect conditions on Earth allow for more complex life to develop, why cant life develop in more hostile environments into larger and perhaps intelligent life. Just because we think we know what conditions are needed for life to exist, when you go out of the realms of earth these theories should be binned. The important phrase here is "life as we know it".

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join