It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What we still don't know (BBC Documentaries)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Over the last week I watched these 3 BBC documentaries on the big questions we are still seeking the answers to.

Are we alone? Why are we here? and What is reality?

These are really stimulating documentaries from a scientific perspective. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Through three episodes, Sir Martin Rees explore some of the most fundamental scientific questions to date.

In this episode Sir Martin explores the possibility that life exists on planets beyond our own. He unveils an unsettling scientific debate that has startling consequences for us Earthlings.

Why Are We Here?
Astronomer Royal Martin Rees turns his attention to the structure of the universe, examining the perceived building blocks of life - atoms. However, he suggests they only actually account for five per cent of the mass of the universe, prompting a discussion with leading luminaries in the field, such as Professor Steven Weinberg and Professor Max Tegmark, about what makes up the remainder, often referred to as dark matter

Are We Real?
There is a fundamental chasm in our understanding of ourselves, the universe, and everything. To solve this, Sir Martin takes us on a mind-boggling journey through multiple universes to post-biological life. On the way we learn of the disturbing possibility that we could be the product of someone elses experiment.

Enjoy

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Thanks for these as I will definitely be checking them out!

Now if we could really find out the true answers to these questions we'd be in like Flynn.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kangaruex4Ewe
Thanks for these as I will definitely be checking them out!

Now if we could really find out the true answers to these questions we'd be in like Flynn.

I believe one day we will. It's something that drives the human race on.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I think those questions have been answered. Maybe not completely..

We are not alone, there's ample evidence to support this, including what mine own eyes have seen..

Why are we here? That's inconceivable.

What is reality? Everything around you, every thing you touch, smell, hear, sense, dream, and fantasize about..

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

THANKS BIG TIME for this Mr W! OP, you brought me back to life with this documentary this morning!

After watching these I had a eureka moment!

See, ATS does make a difference! I had a few such experiences here on ATS thanks to people like you!

Total respect! Gonna add you as a friend!

One Love from your fellow simulated life form made in the image of The Creator of The Universe (or Multiverse...may be???)

Michael.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Revolution9

Cheers mate. They certainly got my brain firing full of new questions and possibilities.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sinny

What is reality? Everything around you, every thing you touch, smell, hear, sense, dream, and fantasize about..

But isn't the above subjective? If somebody experiences the above differently, then their reality is different to yours, so which is the real reality?

These are great documentaries, but as always, they leave me with more questions than I had before!

Regards

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the links to the documentaries.

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

Why Are We Here?
Astronomer Royal Martin Rees turns his attention to the structure of the universe, examining the perceived building blocks of life - atoms. However, he suggests they only actually account for five per cent of the mass of the universe, prompting a discussion with leading luminaries in the field, such as Professor Steven Weinberg and Professor Max Tegmark, about what makes up the remainder, often referred to as dark matter
Nobody noticed this description is wrong? Dark energy makes up most of the remainder, while dark matter is a smaller part:

science.nasa.gov...

It turns out that roughly 70% of the Universe is dark energy. Dark matter makes up about 25%. The rest - everything on Earth, everything ever observed with all of our instruments, all normal matter - adds up to less than 5% of the Universe.

I hope the documentary is more accurate than the description, though I often find a lot of misleading stuff in documentaries. This description is just plain wrong though.

edit on 19-8-2012 by Arbitrageur because: clarification

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It was the youtube poster that got the description wrong, not the Noble Astronomer Royal!

Sir Martin had me mesmerized. Watched the whole lot in one go and wanted much more!!!

Does anybody know any more good sources/documentaries about this kind of thing? Any recommendations? I am hooked now!

Thanks in anticipation!!!
edit on 19-8-2012 by Revolution9 because: ooops, spelling!

edit on 19-8-2012 by Revolution9 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution9

Does anybody know any more good sources/documentaries about this kind of thing? Any recommendations? I am hooked now!

Try watching the 'Through the Wormhole' series narrated by Morgan Freeman. They have been posted on the YouTubes for your viewing pleasure!

Regards

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gnobody

Originally posted by Revolution9

Try watching the 'Through the Wormhole' series narrated by Morgan Freeman. They have been posted on the YouTubes for your viewing pleasure!

Regards

Thank you so much!

Morgan Freeman is a very good presenter. Great series.

I did not know about these.

I have already watched 3 episodes. Think I found a new interest. I am an absolute novice so this is a great new interest. Not too dumb so I think if I soak enough of this up I'll find my way in it.

Just a brief observation. I am a lot more knowledgeable about Theology (Christian and Hebrew) and I see so many parallels between what cosmology and physics is discussing and theorizing and The Scriptures. Too early to say more than that so give me some time and I will attempt an esay on it and will share on ATS.

Again thanks for this thread and to your excellent recommendation.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
You are very welcome Revolution9

For me the pleasure in watching these kind of documentaries is firstly the knowledge and scientific facts they present, then the science theory and ideas of the theoretical physicists and then the mind boggling contemplation afterwards!

Regards

Gnobody

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Here's the CliffsNotes.

"Are we alone?"
No.

"Are we real? "
Yes.

"Why are we here?"
Unanswerable.

Saved you 2.5 hours.

edit on 19-8-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLegend
Here's the CliffsNotes.

"Are we alone?"
No.

"Are we real? "
Yes.

"Why are we here?"
Unanswerable.

Saved you 2.5 hours.

LOL. Well, thats one way to sum them up! Gotta be worth a star!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing these, will watch tonight!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Thank you very much for sharing these documentaries. I didn't known them until now and have watched the first one: very good!

As some are trying to answer the questions which are asked by the episodes - I will do this too, briefly, but with some comments of my thoughts.

Are we alone? - No.
Taking into account all that science has found out about the universe and the mechanims / origins of life and evolution the propability that we are alone in this vast universe is in fact SO low that one can firmly say it is zero.
The "Fermi Paradoxon" is no paradoxon in my eyes. It's just our dullness as human kind to accept that we have been and still are being visited by other beings from elsewhere. There are some people who want to keep this knowledge from the public - see Project Blue Book, Condon Report, Robertson Panel, Cometa Report etc.
The problem might be that some of the other beings are so strange and different than what we think they "should" be that some people here want to prevent the resulting shock for our society. Also they want to keep the knowledge for themselves for bad purposes (military purposes and greed).
We have the right to know that we are not alone and who these other entities are - no matter what that will mean for us.

Why are we here? - Unanswerable in its entirety.
While we MIGHT find the reason for why we are here in this physical universe some day I believe that there will be never any answer for existence itself no matter how evolved we will become. You can repetitively ask the question "And what was the cause for that again?" so that there will remain at least one open question that cannot be answered. Ever.

Are we real? - Yes and no. Depends on the definition of "reality".
As science meanwhile found out that our physical reality is NOT objective (yet still many people think it is!!) but requires a subjective observer to function and even exist at all one can say with confidence that everyone of us indeed has a slightly different reality.
If by reality we mean that physical matter is what we are made of then my best answer would be: no, matter is made of us and not the other way round! In this sense we are not real but virtual.
Thomas Campbell with "My big toe" has resonated with me strongly and I believe that we exist within a virtual reality which is driven by consciousness and evolutionary development. So our physical reality is not really real if you wish. However the experience we are all having whithin it (and which is quite individual) is very real.
edit on 20-8-2012 by mrMasterJoe because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mrMasterJoe

I really do believe the universe is teaming with life. Life in many different forms, some that we might find recognizeable, others like life we can not imagine. I'm still on the fence as to whether we have had contact. There is very good evidence to suggest we may have been. But I still need that conclusive evidence for my own convictions.

Thanks for your interesting analysis and I'm pleased you enjoyed the documentaries.

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Yes, I believe, too, that the universe is massively teaming with life. The first documentary ("Are we alone?") states that it is remarkable that life has started here on earth as soon as the conditions were given. Not any later! I strongly believe that the ONLY reason this universe exists is to host life. It's not that we came from this universe but the universe came from us (consciousness) and we are now playing some kind of adventure game while exploring it =)

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Are we just part of a simulated universe? Are we a simulation within a simulation? Is there some kind of super intelligence running this simulation? I love it!!!

Star and flag!

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I have some weird feelings about the "Are We Real" video.

It seems as though they mention religion a great deal.

It also seems like they are trying to jam the "were not here by chance" idea into your head.
I don't know if its just me, but thats what it sounds like.

"Scientists don't want to entertain the idea of a creator"
Well obviously not if there is no evidence of it.

<<   2 >>

join