It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mattel to release 'Drag Queen Barbie'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'm saving my money for the "Slightly Neurotic Middle Aged Chain Smoking" Barbie.

But hey, different strokes and all.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
well why didn't he make it look believable?

i.dailymail.co.uk...

Do you think many little kids are going to ask Santa for drag queen barbie?
edit on 103131p://bSunday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
So does it come with a little fake plastic roll of duct tape along with it's purse and shoes?
ha

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

See my post on the previous page. This is not a drag queen. She is called Blond Diamond Barbie. The Drag Queen name was given by someone who wanted to start some crap. And they have.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
reply to post by Stormdancer777

See my post on the previous page. This is not a drag queen. She is called Blond Diamond Barbie. The Drag Queen name was given by someone who wanted to start some crap. And they have.

OH OK, I will check that out.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Oh, Barbie, how many versions of you do we really need?

You look nothing like any woman I have ever met.
edit on 19-8-2012 by Unrealised because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
My mommy never bought me a Barbie doll in fact I never played with dolls,

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Alright folks!

Beezzers newest ATS project.

Getting Barbies for Stormdancer.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Alright folks!

Beezzers newest ATS project.

Getting Barbies for Stormdancer.

thank you lol

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Maybe they will also make more dolls to represent ALL the various choices in life.

Gay people, bi-sexual people, etc. They have started with "drag queen barbie"; I am wondering what is next?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Just read through the thread, and it seems established that this is not a "drag queen" Barbie at all.

Ironically Barbie was fashioned after the German Bild Lilli doll (often sold in bars), which was an adult novelty item in the 1950s, and not considered suitable for kids at all until Mattel bought the rights in 1964.

Some feminists even refer to the doll as a sex toy.
en.wikipedia.org...

So I'm surprised some moralists will get their knickers in a knot about it now.

Barbie's anatomy is very distorted in a feminine ideal, and trying to dress Ken (who was not anatomically correct, or rather "complete" either) in Barbie clothes was often impossible.
I'd rather see a novelty range of female clothes and wigs for Ken then a "drag queen" Barbie.
I think both dolls have a wide range of collector interest and parodies, and not all of them are intended to be toys for children, or would be for sale to children.
edit on 19-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
they forgot to include a hugely conspicuous Adam's apple...

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The problem with Barbie is that they are not gender defined just in the oper body so to make a Barbie with gender will be kind of tricky, that was tried before with many parents opposing veiws, specially the pregnant one.

Still I believe Barbie should follow the modern trend of curvy women or how women and girls look like today and start getting some meat in her plastic.

Kent needs a belly too.

edit on 19-8-2012 by marg6043 because: spelling

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
The anatomy of these dolls reminds me very much of the Pioneer Plaques that were sent into space as a possible communication with aliens in 1972 and 1973.
That was a silly idea in the first place, because it might attract hostile aliens, and I hope somebody can get them back one day.

The plaques featured a "naked couple" as earthlings, who just happen to be white Europeans, thus already showing the race and gender power-relationships of the time.
The male stands firm with an active greeting, while the woman is somewhat off-center in her stance, which is still how femininity is represented in advertizing today (unbalanced, vulnerable and fragile in the environment, while the man is so balanced he directs the environment).
The male is reasonably anatomically correct, but the female's privates had to be censored to get approval from NASA (which means it's not "nudity" in any realistic terms).

If they ever make more of these plaques they could at least have more varieties of human bodies, and also drag queens and intersex people.
Life on earth is not a Barbie and Ken show, and if the aliens should be prepared for meeting humans, then they should be prepared for the full of variety of individuals they might meet.

(For more see Wikipedia on the Pioneer Plaque, I didn't want to link directly due to the nudity.)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Well, for more realism there's always the "Redneck Barbie":

www.collegehumor.com...

edit on 19-8-2012 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

It should be a Barbie for every social areas and life style preferences in the US. We are a diverse nation after all.

They will reap millions.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sablicious

Drag queens are cross dressers not transgender so your nice and p.c. comment is mute.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
L-o-l-a, Lola, lo-lo-lo-lo, Lola Well I'm not the worlds most physical guy, but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine...Oh, my Lola.......Drag queen Barbie Theme song....Suggestion from a fellow Christain & a Kinks Fan!!!!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sablicious

Mattel to release 'Drag Queen Barbie'

www.dailymail.co.uk

Introducing 'drag queen' Barbie! Mattel models its latest doll on cross-dressing designer from fashion label The Blonds
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.facebook.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">https:

Because we all know kids that buy barbies are pre-occupied with penises and vaginas. All they think about is sexual issues. It's very important to them. Many of these little children will rejoice and associate with the long tradition of Drag Queening. It's what kids do. They support, watch and participate in drag queen shows.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Loved your post.

Originally posted by halfoldman
I'd rather see a novelty range of female clothes and wigs for Ken then a "drag queen" Barbie.

At least it would actually be a drag queen, then. His name could be Ken, but when he parties, he could become "Kendra - the faaabulous"! Eyelashes and all. And like you said, there would definitely be a collector's market. I wonder if Mattel has considered it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join