It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 30 years old with Aspergers Syndrome, How do you cope?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The way I look at it is that there are probably all types of mental conditions just like there are all types of people... "Asperger's syndrome" is just a unique one that really stands out and is quite different than the norm. Just like there are people with freak physical abilities that are similar, Aspies are this way mentally. Just like people with unique physical attributes have special abilities or needs so do Aspies mentally...

Something that I heard to describe Aspies fits me very well... it is said that Aspies are emotionally 1/3 as developed compared to the norm and 3 times more advanced intellectually. These characteristics give us an edge in one aspect compared to many but a big disadvantage as well but they definitely make us noticeably different..

Someone also said that Aspies could be the next stage in human development...

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by 8311-XHT

Well, that's not how evolution works, but you could be onto something.

Evolution works simply by means of the most adaptable species succeeding in the environment. But mankind no longer is bound by the limitations of its environment. It now creates its own environment.

Simply put, whoever cannot succeed in the environment dies. Those that can adapt reach the top and survive.

That's all evolution is. The tendency for unadapted species to die.

There is no path, no guideline, and no direction. It is literally pouring water onto a hot cracked surface. The water that falls into the cracks remains. The water on the surface dries up and dies.

Now despite your misconceptions of evolution, you could be right. because people with autism-like and Asperger-like conditions tend to handle huge sums of data better than people without it. Because the environment we designed is one of competition of information, those that can handle more sums of data are naturally more adapted to that environment.

The question you must ask, then, is what sort of environment you want to design. You, the commoner, have the power to design the system. Your leaders must adapt to the environment you design. They do not teach you this, because then they would not be your leaders, but your enslaved operators.

edit on 21-8-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

To add to this, I honestly subscribe to the genetic cause for AS (however some studies will say a mix or just environmental), but that is personal opinion.

Now with that in mind is it apart of Evolution? I agree with Gorman on this, it may not be an 'evolved state' but who isnt to say its not a stepping stone? Our genetic structure mutates, obviously some for better (DEC2 gene mutation as an example) some for worse (I'm sure i dont need to get into this one), or some genes that mutate and just dont seem to do anything.

I honestly believe that its possible that disorders like ADS are a mutated step to compensate for the amount of information absorbed as a human being living in the information age. Think of it this way the amount of raw information and data we have available at our fingertips, and have done since the advent of the first full scale library, its just gotten easier and easier to obtain, this data needs to be processed and made sense of, so like all species its possible that ADS is simply an adaption. Again this is based all on unfounded theory, you can choose to discuss or even argue this (For or against), but as i said its possible.

Edit - I kind of went off topic. I do apologise for that!

On topic - I've only really delt with childen with ADS, sure they will eventually grow up but that will take time of course. However when dealing with them ive found it has worked best when finding common ground and using analogies centered around that common ground (in this instance its computing) so explaining the inner workings of an internal combustion engine, and using as direct comparisons as you can to computing you can get the information accross. But as i said I've only interacted with children, rather than adults.
edit on 22-8-2012 by Spruk because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I think you are missing the point though.. our environment dictates what characteristics are more successful.. the rise in autism spectrum disorders could very well show that people with asperger's are more suited to the present environment... we may be on the extreme end of the scale though.. which is why Aspies could be the NEXT step in human evolution...

Ironically this shows another problem I have as an aspie.. not recognizing how things have to be explained for others to fully understand - communication abilities.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   

I explain using analogies and metaphors that the general public can usually relate with. It gives them a concept they're familiar with to apply to what I'm talking about.

It's been fairly successful, in all the times I've done it.
edit on 22-8-2012 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Spruk

Well even then it's not a compensation or anything like that.

It's simply a mutation that's probably been with us for thousands of years, and has now been naturally selected due to the environment.

It never came about because of the environment. It was always there, just now is favorable.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Yea, but we wouldn't call that the next stage of human evolution, we would call it the most apparent preference the environment has selected for these generations.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Yea, but we wouldn't call that the next stage of human evolution, we would call it the most apparent preference the environment has selected for these generations.

But it's a natural stage of development because any society that develops is likely to need those same traits and this is indicated by the current environment which shows this natural progression.

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

That's a great way to do it, thanks. Are you an Aspie?

With myself I feel like it's always hard for me to see things from others view.. I thought this was why Aspies were socially awkward. I always feel like I am so much in my own head and so focused on info coming in I tend to not be able to see others view. Same thing when trying to explain things to people.. I always forget people don't have the same knowledge I do and don't go into detail enough.. OR I do the total opposite and explain way too much then people are like "duh.. enough already". haha

edit on 23-8-2012 by 8311-XHT because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   

We can only say it seems to be better adapted. At any moment someone could be born with a totally random mutation that's dominant in genes and causes them to think twice as fast and remember twice as much, and this would take preference.

That's why we can't call anything the "next stage". At any moment it could be replaced and totally made obsolete.

posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 04:22 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by fxtrademark2

Seriously you don't know what you are dealing with when it comes to Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. I too have used it about 3 times, that was before I was diagnosed. It hasn't cured me of anything. It is very dangerous as it is a lab manufactured drug and you can't always rely on its purity or exactly what it contains. Just like E.

The after effects of using such a substance last for years afterwards. Rather than curing disorders it will actually cause quite a bit of brain damage if you keep using it. I stopped using it 20 or more years ago.

Far out I've had some of the craziest replies to this subject I could ever imagine. I now know the real reason why people with AS feel so isolated and that is because there is nowhere near enough community awareness of the disorder. So trying to tell someone that its the reason why you appear different just does not compute in most peoples minds.

We see endless TV commercials asking for donations for research into other diseases and disorders like, down syndrome, muscular dystrophy, multiple sclerosis and cancer but not one single add explaining AS or Autism in general.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

If you had not mentioned prayer I still would have said you can not just will away a life long disorder by changing the way you think. Its impossible.

posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Everyone must have seen the show The Big Bang Theory? As an Aspie I find that character on there very offensive.. do other Aspies feel this way? I am honestly surprised people haven't complained about it. He seems like a text book Aspie to me.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
Hey there, I just have some questions.

This is mainly to those who have been diagnosed recently, later in life. Only due to it being a recent memory. I understand I could just google this, but I am much more interested in personal experiences on the matter!

What kind of tests were done to diagnose this? Was it something like a psychiatric evaluation?

Were there physiological indicators? If so, what kind of tests were done to identify them? And how did the results differ from a "neuro-typical" response?

I am just curious about it

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Problem is...will the aspies procreate?

Social awkwardness...?

And as an aspie female, I have little maternal desire....potentially, most aspie males and females would love the action, but not the reaction.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Serdgiam

Testing usually happens in front of a team or panel of psychologists and is based upon the picture they get from your early childhood up until the day you are there. Most times you have a family member with you as well so that they can explain the way you were when you were younger. Someone like your Mother or Father or in my case my ex wife was with me because she used to live with me all the time lol.

They will ask questions like "did you make friends easily", "how many friends have you got now that you talk to regularly", "were you disinterested in school but were capable of achieving good grades", "were you obsessed with how toys worked instead of playing with them", "do you like lining up objects or putting them in a specific order".

I'm trying to remember the main questions. "Do you have any relatives with an Autistic spectrum disorder", in my case my son and my cousin. They might ask questions about your Father to see if he may have had some of the traits and genetically passed them on. A lot more males than females will have Autistic traits, it seems to be stronger in male genes.

The panel of medical people may also include someone who has a lot of knowledge in body language. They will watch you during the interview for things like making eye contact when speaking and if you make any unusual facial expressions at all. For instance if they say something sad and you seem to be smiling or if you just have a blank expression most of the time. Sometimes they may make hand or facial gestures to see if you pick up the hidden meanings. They could suddenly throw a ball towards you to see how you react.

They may try to tell you a joke in a metaphoric way to see your response, as sometimes they will go straight over your head. You might be asked questions like "did you ever toe walk when you were a child", "how good are you at playing sports or tasks that require fine motor skills"

Then the other person would be asked questions about you like, "does your husband know when you are in need of emotional support?" I fail miserably at that one. "Does he know when to cut into a conversation or does he just talk over someone else?"

All up the panel needs to build a comprehensive picture of your whole life from early childhood and a diagnosis should never be given by just one person. After the interview the panel will meet in a seperate room to discuss their findings with each other before they tell you the outcome.

I hope I have done enough to explain the process, even though I probably haven't added all of the information in this post, maybe someone else can help fill in the gaps.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Problem is...will the aspies procreate? Social awkwardness...? And as an aspie female, I have little maternal desire....potentially, most aspie males and females would love the action, but not the reaction.
reply to post by selfharmonise

Yeah spot on, I did pro create twice. My son is Autistic, and my daughter was on her way when my son was diagnosed. After my sons diagnosis and we had fears that my daughter could be the same I decided to have a vasectomy.

No point bringing any more children into the world if they are suffering from a debilitating condition. I found it extremely hard to become bonded with my children. Because of how hard it is to look after children with the disorder for normal people, for me it was incredibly hard. Marriages easily break down under that kind of stress and add to that my own diagnosis and that was the end of my first marriage.

posted on Aug, 26 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by R6A6W6

Abilify can help a lot

Check with a doctor

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join