It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over 30 years old with Aspergers Syndrome, How do you cope?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
your anger with people sounds just like another woman on line, you should look her up, her username on various sites is MsAmericanPatriot she has had almost exactly the same experiences as you, maybe you two could help each other out.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I understand what the poster is talking about, I was diagnosed a few years back, it was actually a relief for me because I thought I was just borderline insane. I had years of depression had many drugs given, countless doctors and therapy until one doctor thought I had Aspergers, after that diagnoses I have been pill free for years and happy I am not raving mad, but just different. My family now understand me, why I am different and was different, which makes life easier, even though I have my moments....like ranting on my interest/work till people fall asleep. I still have trouble socially, and emotionally, but I work on it. My wife is a big help, when we have social functions she lets me know when I am being annoying ie- talking someones ear off about my interest. Now to the replies about not a ailment, or "you have been lied too" you really do not know what you are talking about and comments like that are as offensive as thinking a blind man can see.
I am glad I have Aspergers, it makes me who I am, it has helped me be successful in my trade Horology, many people seek my advice and skill and if I did not have the level of focus Aspergers gives me, I would not be as good as I am. The only downside is many past ruined relationships as I am not very good with emotions. I hope you learn to look at the bright side of Aspergers and embrace that. Also as a side note- I do not like certain lighting Loud/busy restaurants and people who try to hug me...LOL

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Yummy Freelunch

You got it exactly right we are a different BREED of humans and we come in all colors and races,so the gene crosses all racial barriers cofirming something critical,that we ARE all on the same humanitarian path by design.

And remeber Yummy Freelunch that the powermongers in our world are only able to multi-task as hyper-actively as they do to become ultra-sucessful because of what we have in common with them,there is old money that builds on itslef without historical Aspie influences actively involved anymore like the Royal Family,and there is NEW money created by Aspie like influences today, but at the core of the money and power comes multi-tasking at an elite level which is catalysed by 3D thinking,so we are a breed that if put in a very few positions of power at the right times could turn humanitys futures around in a more positive direction overnight,and kid yourself not an Aspie with power and the good of humanity in mind is ten times worse than a Momma bear,for this individual will make a liveing at tearing down non-aspie directional structure,business ect will fall to a power hungry Aspie as the Aspie plays power monger and uses their 3D perspective to gain a tactical business and finance advantage and uses this to dismantle non-humanitarian economic interests and returns them back to the people fractured into pieces that allow many humanitarian interests to be serviced immediatly and many peope to benefit from this diversity.Decentralization of existing 2D structures is an Aspie or 3D thinkers catalysing essence,returning these 2D dynamic structures to a more humanitarian and natural 3D form and function removes all of the external and internal problems this 2D structure creates in terms of hindering humanitys forward progress and evolution and also in the destruction of our planet and environment,these humanity sized problems require a humanity sized perspective to be defeated and solved.And nature has tucked the cure neatly into her genetic seed pods,we just need to fertilise and grow these beautiful minds before government and business target them and manipulate them into supporting their economic interests.Money can even affect Aspies of course,empathy or not nature has a balance of good and bad.FIGHT any attempt to list in any way these people as they are our future and governments and business and organised religon have recognised their worth via results so they already know this and they farm our great humanitarian minds and try to brainwash them as early as they can,fight any organised listing,do you see a list of bloody diabetics???Hell no !!So dont let them list your kids like the government is trying to do in Canada,if you have money and can afford a lawyer FIGHT THIS LISTING with all of your resources,there are rich Aspies reading this I know it.

This is one of the biggest conspiracies ever and is just comeing out of the closet,get real there are Intuative communicators ,makeing 700,000 per year identifying trends for fashion and clothing companies and other fortune 500 companies,ALL OVER THE WORLD TODAY,its like back to the Sumerian days when every king had a side-kick who was an Aspie-like 3D thinker at his side to identify trends within the subjects or an enemy country.Dont allow any listing .

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by GodsPlanWillUnfold2012

Change of diet - usually taking out Gluten (although some are also intolerant to Casium) helps to relieve some symtoms but ASD is permanent. Telling a person ASD will go away by change of diet like telling a blind person to eat more carrots so they can see in the dark.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankenchrist

Very high functioning Aspies can and do go on to get married and lead "normal" lives, have children etc.

Here's another statistic. Parents (of an Aspie) have a 80% chance of ending in divorce.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
@OP,

Just be yourself! I'm also an aspie in my 30's and constantly sacrificing to get along with others for me has been a life long exercise in self-destruction. I'm only now learning to be true to myself and to stop taking on excess burdens that are not needed. I say just don't lie, steal or murder (think the Golden Rule), use basic polite manners such as please, thank you, excuse me, and don't sweat the rest. If people are unkind to you for being different, that is their sin, not yours.

I wish you the best.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:21 AM
link   
Aspie-like 3D humor moment alert!!!!

My mother recently told me a story about me as a small boy,she described the moment she knew I was vastly different than her other kids,and in a hugely positive bright way as she always treated all of us,I was six months old and she had given me a digestive cookie to gnaw on one day,after giveing me a cookie she went to put them away and for some reason she said she felt the need to look back at me as she was putting the cookies away,she said when she turned i was looking directly at her with my head turned and focused,she said it caught her by surprise so much she did a double-take and had to ask herself if I was really watching her with as much thought as she suspected,so she took the cookies to another cupboard a few feet over one in my blind spot and waited to see if i would go to enough trouble to watch her put the cookies away if it meant turning all the way in the other direction and craneing my beanbag,ha ha ha,well i did just that,and it was then that she said she knew she had a challenge on her hands,a smarty pants,ha ha ha

Then she made a game with me where she would move the cookies and if I wanted one I had to look at where she had moved it,so i was constantly adjusting and extrapolating and useing my inuition,she then graduated to moveing it when i wasnt looking and makeing me guess,until i found patterns in that and caught her,we had a me catch her competition my whole life with it being our secret and me being ultr-respectful,this is homeopathic treatment for an autistic or aspie kid that might work for some if used in a supportive manner to what they are already doing.

You need to think the unthinkable with these kids,that they can already virtually read your mind nearly from birth,then you need to pull up your socks and challenge them,my mom said i was the most entertaining kid to raise because of the way i engaged challenges in an unconventional but very sucessfull manner,by rewriteing rules on the fly and createing supportive structures for my ideas and 3D perspectives by influenceing 2D thinkers,she was always giveing me hell for takeing advantage of older kids ,I was selling crab-apples door to door at four years old,because i understood that we needed more money and I had already conceptualised its cause and effect and form and function and at four i devised a way to get some,and I literally did that,of course no one could believe what I was doing but they didnt stop me they supported me,i was even aware at four why many adults were buying the apples,the dynamic,but i deemed it ok to fleece them because of the need justified by the fact they were misrepresenting their real feelings to be through the sale as well,I was well aware the ones who bought wanted to help even more but couldnt so I used this lack of cojones so to speak to judge them and i contributed to the mutually satisfying but morally corrupt in many ways dynamic,but i WAS aware of the clash of idealsims already at four.

So I definately had a maximus-opportunus type of growing environment because i was allowed to do things on my own that were supposedly undoable or not in my age class,I had no barriers other than safety and my own creativity and ambition.And I guess poor kids build a lot of collages with glue and cut-outs and tell a lot of stories and cook a lot of things with mom and read a lot of free books,right??For sure.Poor kids are taught to manifest very early because their parents want them to have a chance at vreateing[not maintaining like rich kids]sucess in the world and know they are underdogs,so they teach any and every way they can in a very resourceful way hopeing it will help ease the pain of life.

Had you watched four little kids spending hours together by the night light with their mother cutting puctures out of old magazines and newspapers with little scissors and their imaginations,creating their very own tailormade Disneyworld you would have been watching an Aspie-child heaven being created,because for me manifesting creatively was heaven,an Aspie can recieve the tactile reward from a cerebral action,so building the collage to ME was every bit as tactile as going to disneyland was to normal 2D thinking kids like my siblings.Restricting them from actually doing and experiencing tactile things would have been detremental to their development as suppressing my creative manifestation on a cerebral level would have been to me,my mom out of empathy for my unusual intuition and attention knowingly created a perfect environment for me amongst a large brood,for each of us she created this dynamic,includeing an aspie like me,so this is very doable.

I just think we miss the boat a lot because few of us find our way through the maze of 2D liveing and copeing with enough energy to fight much more after that,so 90% of the people teaching 3D thinking kids are actually ill-equipped 2D thinkers,its an impossible dynamic to make work and it hurts the kids

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by R6A6W6

Like everybody else. One day at a time.
Try to do the best you can.
Enjoy what you enjoy.
Avoid what makes you unhappy.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Very high functioning Aspies can and do go on to get married and lead "normal" lives, have children etc.

Here's another statistic. Parents (of an Aspie) have a 80% chance of ending in divorce.

It's actually parents of an Autstic child have an 80% chance and it goes up with more children that have it, I had 3, (lost one in an accident) and was lucky enough to have a supportive spouse who until he died was right there helping.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Enough with the trolling, don´t you think? You were the one that started to reduce it down to social awkwardness.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

reply to post by XeroOne

reply to post by davidmann

reply to post by DaTroof

The level of ignorance and paranoia you all display is amazing. A few of you are sitting here basically making fun of a disability and people with that disability. what you are doing is no different than making fun of a quadrapalegic. whats next, you gonna tell the guy in a wheel chair that he is a faker and can walk if he wants, and that he's only been lied to about not walking? Truly saddening.

Not to long ago, science discovered a special type of neurons called "mirror neurons". These neurons are thought to be the basis for "learning by example" or imitation.

"Many researchers in cognitive neuroscience and cognitive psychology consider that this system provides the physiological mechanism for the perception action coupling (see the common coding theory).[3] They argue that mirror neurons may be important for understanding the actions of other people, and for learning new skills by imitation."

Now, what do you think would happen if someone's mirroring neurons weren't quite right? But no, you're right, thats impossible and its some mega conspiracy. So may i ask, since you all seem to be infallible, which diseases and disorders are fake and which are real? And also, with which medical school do you hold degrees?
Thanks, looking forward to your answers

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

There is a difference between "basement nerds" and people with Aspergers, although im sure many basement dwellers have some type of autism spectrum disorder.

Many people with aspergers has a strong desire to meet new people and make friends. They just have a hard time doing it. As mentioned earlier, many people like this get focused into very narrow areas of interest. However not all people will share those interests as well. So it can be difficult. But what do you think would happen if two people with apsergers met? they'd be much more likely to get married.

"small minds talk about people.
average minds talk about events.
great minds talk about ideas."

Most people fall into the first two categories. and you will commonly notice that people with aspergers fall into the last category

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by R6A6W6

For a second there I thought the title of your thread OP read "Over 30 years old with Asparagus Syndome and was like you should really cut back on your asparagus diet.

Unfortunately I don't know much about this, and haven't heard much about it either. I hope you are able to cope with it successfully and ATS members can add insightful information to help you out.

edit on 19-8-2012 by Skywatcher2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Company hires adults with Aspergers to test software

Aspiritech, a nonprofit in Highland Park, Ill., nurtures these skills while forgiving the quirks that can make adults with autism unemployable: social awkwardness, poor eye contact, being easily overwhelmed. The company's name plays on the words "Asperger's," "spirit" and "technology."

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankenchrist

Do you have to be on medication for aspergers?

If so.

I think it's an excuse for pharma companies to sell you drugs.

I see what you are getting at...But no one HAS to be on meds for anything.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I understand why many have a problem understanding ASD. I don't believe it's a disease at all but I am 100% sure individuals on the spectrum are quite different. What for me is the concluding fact that it exists is the Sensory Overload phenomena, arguing that this is just imaginary is just ignorant. This does not tell us what all the differences are but that it is there.

Not everybody has SO seizures on the same level as with all the factors. As with anything people sees from a third person perspective it will be doubt until defined.

To OP, I suggest an "accept and relieve" approach. Try to find out what your "needs" are (brain stimuli, thinking time, music, etc.) and find a way to get some stimuli between everyday activities. May calm down and at least reduce stress.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by R6A6W6

You just described me, so you're not alone!

The only way I cope with it is to limit contact. I don't like crowds and I don't like loud.

I fill my day with stimulation on a level which I can handle.

I, too, am a puzzle piece with no puzzle. Dealing with people is nerve-wracking, isn't it?

I understand full-blown autism and the sensory overload issue. I also count and organize.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I want to read all of the posts in this thread....especially the last couple of pages. Being married to an aspie and having a son with it, I have alot to learn. I have a question for all the aspies here.....do any of you have RH negative blood by chance? I ask because I've read that many aspies do have the negative blood. My husband and son both do.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
Having raised a stepson with this disorder, I can tell you I think
it's a blanket disorder that docs give when they really can't find out
what's wrong. My stepson could come nowhere near the cognitive
thoughts in your opening post when well into his 20's, and he had
Aspbergers. He was pure hell to live with, I raised him from very
young and he pretty much ended my marriage. I don't buy what the docs
are selling, and I think it was heavy metals that did it either in the
womb or early in life. Good luck op, but I'd get a 2nd, 3rd, 4th and
5th opinion.

new topics