It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Revelation Describing Astrological Interpretation of Constellations?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I had a sort of epiphany the other day after reading a statement from Plato that we have a perceivable God:

Here at last let us say that our discourse concerning the universe (to pan) has come to its end. For having received in full its complement of living creatures, mortal and immortal, this world (bode ho kosmos) has thus become a visible living creature (zoion horaton) embracing all that are visible and an image of the intelligible (eikon tou noetou), a perceptible god (theos aisthetos), supreme in greatness and excellence, in beauty and perfection, this Heaven single in its kind and one [or: this one Heaven, an only child].

It seems to me like Plato is saying by looking up we can see God as heaven or as being in the heavens. Well that does not seem too far off from the ordinary sort of idea we have about Greek mythology but explained in a philosophical way.
Anyway, this is what got the wheels in motion to get me to look for what it might be exactly that they thought would be God. What I found was an article in Wikipedia on the Sumerian names for the constellations with one being called the Old Man. I thought, 'as in the ancient of days of Revelation?'. So here is this constellation ordinarily thought of as Perseus with very close-by the ever-enigmatic Pleiades star cluster. There is also in his hand a strange variable star usually thought of as the eye of the Gorgon or Medusa head. Right below this is what has always been known as the ram usually called Aries. If you think of the seven stars of the Pleiades as part of the ram, then it would be his seven eyes, as described in Revelation. So this seven-fold (?) variable star could mean the seven seals of the scroll in the Ancient of Day's hand with the ram with the seven eyes approaching to take the scroll from his hand.

Here's a map showing where the Perseid Meteor shower comes from to give a rough idea what this would look like.

edit on 18-8-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

I think the 7th scroll refers to an interrelationship between visible stars which, according to the Phi Ratio, points to the Earth's relationship to the rest of the Galaxy and by extension the whole cosmos.

I think you've got the right idea though.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
Oops, I just remembered that Aries was not always known as the ram, but back in Sumerian times it was known as an agricultural worker, maybe someone bent over working, like pulling weeds or something. You could maybe also think of it as a lower class person approaching the nobleman sitting on some sort of throne and the one is in a posture of supplication to the other. That idea may bleed over to visualize the actions of the 24 elders when they they throw themselves down at the foot of the throne.
edit on 18-8-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
I had a sort of epiphany the other day after reading a statement from Plato that we have a perceivable God:

Here at last let us say that our discourse concerning the universe (to pan) has come to its end. For having received in full its complement of living creatures, mortal and immortal, this world (bode ho kosmos) has thus become a visible living creature (zoion horaton) embracing all that are visible and an image of the intelligible (eikon tou noetou), a perceptible god (theos aisthetos), supreme in greatness and excellence, in beauty and perfection, this Heaven single in its kind and one [or: this one Heaven, an only child].

It seems to me like Plato is saying by looking up we can see God as heaven or as being in the heavens. Well that does not seem too far off from the ordinary sort of idea we have about Greek mythology but explained in a philosophical way.
Anyway, this is what got the wheels in motion to get me to look for what it might be exactly that they thought would be God. What I found was an article in Wikipedia on the Sumerian names for the constellations with one being called the Old Man. I thought, 'as in the ancient of days of Revelation?'. So here is this constellation ordinarily thought of as Perseus with very close-by the ever-enigmatic Pleiades star cluster. There is also in his hand a strange variable star usually thought of as the eye of the Gorgon or Medusa head. Right below this is what has always been known as the ram usually called Aries. If you think of the seven stars of the Pleiades as part of the ram, then it would be his seven eyes, as described in Revelation. So this seven-fold (?) variable star could mean the seven seals of the scroll in the Ancient of Day's hand with the ram with the seven eyes approaching to take the scroll from his hand.

Here's a map showing where the Perseid Meteor shower comes from to give a rough idea what this would look like.

Acts 17, the Mars Hill Debate between Paul and the Greek Philosophers "even as your own poets have said, we are His children".

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Acts 17, the Mars Hill Debate between Paul and the Greek Philosophers "even as your own poets have said, we are His children".
I think you may have hit on something there.
The note for that verse in NETBible says Paul is referring to

Aratus (ca. 310-245 b.c.), Phaenomena 5
doing a search finds this bit

Aratus of Soli was a highly original poet of the early third century BC, famous throughout antiquity for his didactic epic on constellations and weather signs, and imitated by later Greek and Latin poets. ... Google Books

edit on 21-8-2012 by jmdewey60 because: add Bible quote: "For the creation eagerly waits for the revelation of the sons of God." Romans 8:19

new topics

top topics

join