Kids get 4 days of school due to budget cuts..

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

My honest first comment on this video was :
"I think they tried their best to shake "Deb", but she had studies and facts to back up everything. I "loved" when the guy was talking about teacher:child ratio being disproportionate and he said " Teachers are only thinking of themselves!" ....ahhahahah ! These people are your glorified FREE babysitters, yet GODforbid the teacher is too overwhelmed to give the students the individualized attention they need...!

This also turned me the wrong way as I believe it basis too much blame on teachers and not on parents.
Stupid in America

What is wrong with our educational system? In my honest opinion, I don't know. However, way to much pressure is put on teachers...they watch kids probably1/3 of time and they are expected to meet the needs of all these kids that people struggle to take care of the rest of the day. I think there are bad teachers, but I believe there are kids who come into the schools and teachers are supposed to watch them 8 hours of the day and deal with all the behavioral problems and problems from home........

What happens now that schools have to make hard decisions like this?

edit on 18-8-2012 by paleorchid13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by paleorchid13

Those kids must be stoked. I know I would have been back when I was in school. Let the foundations of this country crumble... The quicker the fall the sooner the restoration comes. Hopefully the next time we build this country back from scratch we will have learned the lessons we should have from the past.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
ill tell ya what;s wrong with ur system.

u didnt vote Ron Paul in 88.. you didnt vote him 2008 and u got one more chance.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
That is all the teachers are, are babysitters. I would love a 4 day school week when I was a kid, especially since I felt like a slave forced to go to school so my mom could have some free time.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by paleorchid13
What is wrong with our educational system?

1. Teaching to a test, which in some states is the main determiner of passing.
2. Passing kids who fail too often.
3. Putting in too severely a special need student with the more advanced. You have to teach to their level, leaving bored kids in the classroom.
4. Teaching a mile wide, but 2 inches deep.
5. The habit of moving bad teachers into principal's positions, to get them out of your school, due to tenure.
6. Teachers do more paperwork than teaching, in a lot of states.
7. Parents no longer reinforce the edicts of the teachers in the classroom. (Yes, a bit mixed, with that, but parents blame the teachers instead of the kids, when they fail, now.)

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage
ill tell ya what;s wrong with ur system.

u didnt vote Ron Paul in 88.. you didnt vote him 2008 and u got one more chance.

I voted for him in 2008 , I did a write in ...in the primaries and general election. I wasn't old enough in 88 to vote for him but I would have voted for Russell Means anyway. What's wrong is that we don't have third party candidates and the whole thing is rigged .

I may like Ron Paul, but the whole thing of "free market" education is ridiculous ..it won't work. Just as the voucher system won't work. You can put a poor performing student in a great performing school .....you can lead a horse to water .....

What happens when those "great performing" schools suddenly have an influx of poor performing students? hmmm

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

Those kids must be stoked. I know I would have been back when I was in school. Let the foundations of this country crumble... The quicker the fall the sooner the restoration comes. Hopefully the next time we build this country back from scratch we will have learned the lessons we should have from the past.

Quite cynical, but I love it. ....... The times of "post America" are upon us though. Many countries are gaining in economics and strength. I really don't think you'd like anther's military patrolling our yards. be careful what you wish for

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   

wouldnt happen. Just out of size alone. cities possibly but to patrol the whole of a country the size of the US? their would be continuous rebel militias forming on a regular basis if a war was lost and then they would probably say screw it after a short while and an army spread thin and getting thinner as the days went on.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by lobotomizemecapin

Yes , I agree , especially because our citizens still have guns .....but back to education ...................

posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Well good, I hope it gets harder and harder for the schools and the education system to "balance its budget," since there doesn't seem to really be all that much learning going on in nation's schools.

“Libraries raised me. I don't believe in colleges and universities. I believe in libraries because most students don't have any money. When I graduated from high school, it was during the Depression and we had no money. I couldn't go to college, so I went to the library three days a week for 10 years.”
    – Ray Bradbury
    (1920-2012, R.I.P)
    American Author
    “A Literary Legend Fights for a Local Library,” New York Times (19 June 2009)

posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

OP, you should check out season 4 of The Wire. It provides a great insight into the inner-city school system.

top topics

join