It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Game Sims in 200 years.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The computer game Sims, is a game where you basically control the lives of simulated characters and control their actions and environment. This technology was unimaginable 50 years ago, let alone 100 or 200 years ago. So with this exponential growth in the technology, where do these games have the potential to take us. Would it be possible one day in the future to create your own world with intelligent free thinking entities who believe they are alive and not part of a game? Maybe even your own universe?

anyway , just wanted to put that out there before I went to bed.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:47 PM
link   
who knows whats possible but i bet most people(not on here i may add) will say don,t be so stupid but these are also the people who are finding out that things they thot impossible not so

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I think it's not really a gradual evolution regarding the AI. Either something is concious or it's not, there's no in between. Sure the scale will keep increasing as processing power does, but at the end of the day you're still playing a computer game.

If you haven't watched before, Tron and Tron legacy are interesting movies regarding this subject.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by sparky31

I just look at the exponential growth of technology and simulation software and think of the possibilities. I would say it is almost an inevitability, well if we dont blow ourselves up before hand.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr
reply to post by sparky31

I just look at the exponential growth of technology and simulation software and think of the possibilities. I would say it is almost an inevitability, well if we dont blow ourselves up before hand.

well thats also possible,its the growth of technology that for me people saying things are impossible they aren,t really thinking ahead,take someone from the 1940s and say to them back then what was possible now and they would think u were nuts and should be sectioned.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Sims is a creepy game......my ex tried to convince me it was no big deal he had a Sims steady girlfriend he had "virtual" sex with.....after totally lying about it for months....gee...hmmm.....if it's no big deal why lie? As far as I'm concerned it was just another time he cheated.....

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I think it's very possible that we all right now are living in a simulation of some kind, it would be a good explaination for how atoms can make solid objects

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

i find it very weird that you would call that cheating... whats wrong with you?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 420smokiesmalls
reply to post by MountainLaurel

i find it very weird that you would call that cheating... whats wrong with you?

I find it very wierd that that anyone would have virtual sex and lie about it...to each thier own I guess.....

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
In the future we won't play the Sims....

THE SIMS WILL PLAY US!

Huh??? Think about it!

~Heff

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I always think of the movie Gamer, and the bit about the Sims spin-off "Society." If you haven't seen it, they use implants to control real people in an interactive game, so the Sims becomes people controlling real people. I think if society keeps spinning the bowl as it has been for the last few decades, we'll see something like that becoming reality in a hundred years or less.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

I guess this thread was my way of stimulating debate on the very possibility we are living out an ancestry simulation created by an advanced race of human beings.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

Like I said above!!!

BTW whoever is playing MY character in this game of SIMS really sucks at it.

~Heff

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   

That wouldn't surprise me either. I guess it's the ultimate form of control isn't it? That we are just some construct or even perhaps the universe's reality TV show, and that we are just the construct of that reality.

But I agree with Heff, my player must the most bored poor soul in the real real world IMO, either that or has no real idea how to play the game properly....

edit on 19-8-2012 by 74Templar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   

There are no players, you have been created by a program so that you do not need controlling. Maybe the programmer was out taking a whizz, when he programmed our characters

I don't know, the thing is the universes is made up of only 92 elements. Everything is made of a combination of those 92 elements. It will not be beyond our powers to master those elements and create our own universes. I tdo think that the simulation theory is as sound as any religious explanation, because we actually have examples at play that we can reference to and expand upon.
edit on 19-8-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by woodwardjnr

There are no players, you have been created by a program so that you do not need controlling. Maybe the programmer was out taking a whizz, when he programmed our characters

I don't know, the thing is the universes is made up of only 92 elements. Everything is made of a combination of those 92 elements. It will not be beyond our powers to master those elements and create our own universes. I tdo think that the simulation theory is as sound as any religious explanation, because we actually have examples at play that we can reference to and expand upon.
edit on 19-8-2012 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

The problem I see with that is that free will and programming are two very different things, and I don't see how you can program something with free will. It's like when people say machines will take over, well they can only do what we program them to do, no matter how intelligent they get, so to program something with free will just leaves a massive amount of variables to consider for a programmed construct. he other thing to consider is do we have free will? Are our lives just a bunch of presets that we roll through like checkpoints in a game each time around.

My take is we are vehicles per se, and our souls, memories or whatever you want to call them are just what gets downloaded each time. I have skills no one has ever taught me, and yet I just inherently know them, so is that just a residual effect of the last few gos? That whoever built us can only fit so much information in our own memories or hard drives, or starts us off at nothing again to see if we can download new stuff each time we go through this version of life, and that is why we have these residual memories and don't have the full backup of our entire lives from start to present day. You could go mad thinking about it really, but that's kind of my take. It is very open ended though, I'm always open to new possibilities like us being the Sims controlling a computer game being controlled ourselves.

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Yeah my controller sucks too!
As you can see by my avatar, I play the Sims too. That's me right now..... typing away on the computer.

On the OP topic: There have been some discussions on here about this sort of thing. I find it fascinating to think about and seriously wonder if we are in some sort of simulation. I can't prove it obviously but it seems like it could explain a lot of things. Ever see how unrelated people look like each other? You know, doppelgangers, everyone has a twin, etc.? Well maybe that's because of the limited combinations of features that the "game" players are able to use to make their characters (us).
edit on 19-8-2012 by Ellie Sagan because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I love the Sims, it is the modern day version of playing with dolls.
It is an interesting idea that we may be some entities version of Sims, but since we have free will, I don't think the game would be much fun, to messy!

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   
When I played the sims a while back I always had my main character flirt with the wife next door and stuff

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
I love the Sims, it is the modern day version of playing with dolls.
It is an interesting idea that we may be some entities version of Sims, but since we have free will, I don't think the game would be much fun, to messy!

Do we have free will, if we were being played by someone, all out choices (no matter how much it seems like you made them) would have been made by the player.

I we are sims ourselves, then i'm pretty dissapointed with my player, he sat there making making me play sims and also made me build a family and then take all doors toilets and beds away. Sicko.

top topics

join