It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hook-Legged Spider Found in Oregon Cave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Greetings, ATS!

Okay, arachnaphobic wimp here. But I found this creepy article about a new species of spider found in an Oregon Cave and I just had to share.

Meet Trogoraptor marchingtoni, the first newly discovered, native North American family of spiders since 1890.

A group of cave explorers and scientists have made a rare discovery: an entirely new taxonomic family of spider in the caves of southern Oregon. So far, the family consists only of the one species described, which the researchers named Trogloraptor marchingtoni. The species is named after Neil Marchington, a member of the Western Cave Conservancy, who first discovered the spider. The genus name, Trogloraptor, means "cave robber."

It's an apt name for a spider with unique hooks, or claws, on its legs, which the researchers believe are used to snatch flying insects, like midges, out of the air. With its legs outstretched, the spider measures up to 3 inches (8 centimeters) long.

"They're biggish," Griswold said. "But when you're in a cave and it's dark and there's only the beam of your head lamp, they look much bigger. It's quite astonishing to see them hanging from a few threads."

Indeed.

While the find is scientifically awesome (a new taxonomy of anything is pretty rare), I personally am a little creeped.

Note to self: no caving when next in Oregon.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Thanks for the link.

Always enjoy reading about things like this.

The article didn't say specifically, but it inferred possibly that it may not be poisonous.
It said they 'thought it was a brown recluse, which is poisonous, but it turned out it wasn't. ' (paraphrase, don't have article open anymore sorry).

I understand that obviously it wasn't a brown recluse, however I am still unclear about if it was determined to be dangerous or not?

I guess I could find an email addy and ask the researchers if I really cared.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
I believe they said it had two sets of teeth (but used a different word for it), and noted that was quite unique.

I wonder what purpose that serves in their cave environment?

Sigh, sometimes I wish our whole civilization was interested and curious about learning new things and searching the world around us for answers to our natural questions.

95%+ of the population has no part in this process, other than indirect/peripheral.
That is not a good # imho.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
*Little late* www.abovetopsecret.com...

Me spideeey senses much quicka ~~~

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Thanks for the link.

Always enjoy reading about things like this.

The article didn't say specifically, but it inferred possibly that it may not be poisonous.
It said they 'thought it was a brown recluse, which is poisonous, but it turned out it wasn't. ' (paraphrase, don't have article open anymore sorry).

I understand that obviously it wasn't a brown recluse, however I am still unclear about if it was determined to be dangerous or not?

I guess I could find an email addy and ask the researchers if I really cared.

I don't care if its poisonous or not, it has eight legs and therefore is the spawn of Satan.

Spiders. Ewwwwww.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnukeem
*Little late* www.abovetopsecret.com...

Me spideeey senses much quicka ~~~

I'm sorry, sirnukeem! I did a search but didn't turn up your thread.

Mods....do your thing....

new topics

top topics

join