It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Why are you waiting for SHTF?

page: 2
5
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse
 



and for example, if you think you are going to need to flee by vehicle, why not grow a lot of your food in a greenhouse, but put that greenhouse on a trailer so it is ready to go etc??

I have lined my camper with plastic, so the majority of it is a greenhouse, without ruining the interior of the camper... and it has a dehumidifier on the outer area of the greenhouse etc.

We have a few solar panels and deep cycle batteries...


But what if you shift again...and all of this stuff is gone? There is no camper, you don't live in Canada, no solar panels,, or dehumidifier no greenhouse!

Or does it not work that way?
edit on 20-8-2012 by destination now because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by destination now
reply to post by mellisamouse
 



and for example, if you think you are going to need to flee by vehicle, why not grow a lot of your food in a greenhouse, but put that greenhouse on a trailer so it is ready to go etc??

I have lined my camper with plastic, so the majority of it is a greenhouse, without ruining the interior of the camper... and it has a dehumidifier on the outer area of the greenhouse etc.

We have a few solar panels and deep cycle batteries...


But what if you shift again...and all of this stuff is gone? There is no camper, you don't live in Canada, no solar panels,, or dehumidifier no greenhouse!

Or does it not work that way?
edit on 20-8-2012 by destination now because: (no reason given)


Thanks for constantly bumping my threads with a completely non related beef you have from another topic...



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
AS I always say, survival can easily be a situation of 1. IN fact, most great survival stories are.



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I am penniless. I don't know how you can do shtf scenario prepping with no money.



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox
 



If you have been that while you will probably be better prepped than the majority I would say.

It is the lifestyle change adapting and depending less and less on material things and day to day survival that wil make people the most prepared.

The people who can't live without a blow dryer, nail polish, and new shoes every month are the ones that will be in the worst shape being jerked into a reality wake-up call.

But when you can budget in seeds and things and plant things here and there, you will be slowly building a more independent future for sure.



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse
 


I appreciate the prep talk, and it is a good point. (actually, which is why i pay attention to the street thugs, they have it down)

but I have a degenerative joint disease, so I would be toast.

I try to pick up things to teach my kid.



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox
 


Awe, is there anything you can do??

Natural remedies?? Essiac?? Flor Esscence?? Alkaline diet etc???

Being a good example for your child is the best insurance too, if they know what to do, they can help you out.

Your "team" will be the most important part of your journey.

blessings to you.



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
You're funny.

Many many people have already changed their lifestyles with survival in mind.

I live in the country. I have a big garden and all the tools to build or fix just about anything. I raise chickens for eggs.

It's a great life.



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
walked away from the cesspool people call " civilisation " years ago ... have everything that need out here far from all the idiocy ....

as to waiting ... am observing and documenting the collapse so that there is an accurate record for future generations to learn from...



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
You're funny.

Many many people have already changed their lifestyles with survival in mind.

I live in the country. I have a big garden and all the tools to build or fix just about anything. I raise chickens for eggs.

It's a great life.


Nice. Yeah, I had started, then had to go to the city, and now am back and setting right back up again.

I think I am just getting frustrated with amount of people who seem so dependent and everything is great now..... I can't imagine what they will do if something tips against their favor.. :S



posted on Aug, 21 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
walked away from the cesspool people call " civilisation " years ago ... have everything that need out here far from all the idiocy ....

as to waiting ... am observing and documenting the collapse so that there is an accurate record for future generations to learn from...



Awesome!
Yes, this is my ultimate goal and dream, to be completely free from it all, even if it never falls.



posted on Aug, 22 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse
 


this is actually extremely easy to answer:

so long as the cops haul your rear to prison for squatting, a SHTF lifestyle just won't work. there are lots of conventions in place today that range from ridiculous but still detrimental things like hemp prohibition to very real limitations on movement and things like taxes where people will demand money, which you'll have to obtain somehow or again, you're off to buttrape Inc.

The Branch Davidians in Waco probably tried this to an extend, didn't end so well, did it?



posted on Aug, 23 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
reply to post by mellisamouse
 


this is actually extremely easy to answer:

so long as the cops haul your rear to prison for squatting, a SHTF lifestyle just won't work. there are lots of conventions in place today that range from ridiculous but still detrimental things like hemp prohibition to very real limitations on movement and things like taxes where people will demand money, which you'll have to obtain somehow or again, you're off to buttrape Inc.

The Branch Davidians in Waco probably tried this to an extend, didn't end so well, did it?


True, but nothing is stopping people from getting some of their s$%^t together NOW.....

like growing their own food, saving their own seeds, buying less useless crap, and fast food etc...stop feeding the beast.... only use what you really NEED, stop living such material empty life styles, like that saying:
Too many people work at jobs they hate, to buy things they don't need, to impress people they dont even know or like etc...... just a friggin waist!



posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse
 


sure, do whatever you can get away with now, but the final steps will have to wait until the fan has been hit - as the saying goes: proper preparation prevents p**s poor performance.



posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Long Lance
reply to post by mellisamouse
 


sure, do whatever you can get away with now, but the final steps will have to wait until the fan has been hit - as the saying goes: proper preparation prevents p**s poor performance.


yes exactly.

Since I was fortunate/unfortunate enough to have no power for over a month, I got to start trying my things out, and seeing where I was lacking.

I was ok, for internet and phone with my solar panels etc, but I saw some major gaps that I needed to fill.... not too big, but for example, I had no hot water, so needed a bigger pot for boiling water on the wodstove-found one.

My ex has taken down my cloths line, so for laundry my next purchase will be anothe clothes line...

I caught a neighbor stealing my figs and berries, put up better fence, and moving a lit of container pants right into the house and many on the deck with a greenhouse on the deck instead.

My son and I have also gone full bore camping for 4 months in a row out in the boonies and hones our skils there as well.

I have dropped seeds around all kinds of ideal camping areas in places no one would find them, (like planting potatoes, broccoli, yams etc, off of my property)

Just a few things like this.



posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mellisamouse
 


Been doing that for a year or more already. I don't have a greenhouse and the fence in the garden needs to be raised to ten feet to keep the Yummi deer out but I have ulterior motives on that project. We are going to learn to use the wood cookstove we bought to cook this winter and I have some wood to burn. I'm not worried, I do want to get some canned butter though so we can make cookies to go with the coffee if tshtf. got a couple butters froze and three in the fridge usually. enough sugar to make cookies and jam for half a year.
I suppose if tshtf, everyone I know will be stopping by to visit and I'll run out of cookies and coffee in a month.



posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I used to be into all this prepping stuff but gradually I've done less and less over the last 20 years. Went through most of my stores and have stepped away from from it 99% ... it was becoming an obsession. I always was thinking of other scenarios I needed equipment for, spending too much money and time.

IMO as long as you're mentally prepared, aware enough to recognize when it's actually happening, and not hesitate when the time comes - you'll be way better off than most. If the event is survivable I'll survive.



posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse
 


Hello again fellow mouse!

Yes, I think a lot of us have the survival part down, but now are perfecting it to "thrival" lol....

I am the same,,, preparing for the luxuries to stay at this point....

Growing the fun stuff that will be harder to get for a while, like cookies and super gourmet spices etc.



posted on Aug, 24 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead
 


Very true, as life has showed many of us time and time again, that the one who loves us can just keep making things work out, no mater what the outside tries to throw at us.

I guess that is what gives a lot of us a kind of joy from this instead of dread of it...lol



posted on Aug, 25 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I think the S is hitting the F as we speak...How much worse do things have to get before people realise this? Are you happy bringing your child up in this day and age? We've decided not to have children until we feel some sort of balance is restored to everyday life. Harsh, and sad, but the best sort of prep we can do is to keep our clan small and compact.




top topics



 
5
<< 1    3 >>

log in

join